Get Well Soon, Don!!!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Get Well Soon, Don!!!!

Post by Zen Diver »

Well shoot, Don. I feel like I shouldn't tease and give you a hard time as I usually do ;-) at least you didn't injure the tatoo'd leg, pins thro the octo would have marred the art work

Let us know what you need during this time Don. If Mark is available for Captaining I'm sure we can fill some charters for you.

Valerie
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Oooh man....
So sorry to hear about your injury but sounds like you are starting the mending process.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

So.....how soon can you get out on the boat and lay in a lounge chair all day, flipping the divers crap, while your crew does all the work?????

- John :angelblue:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Zen Diver wrote:... at least you didn't injure the tatoo'd leg, pins thro the octo would have marred the art work
LOVE IT! That was my very first thought when I saw the pic. Well, OK, not my very first thought. My first thought was "EWWWW gross!", and my second thought was, "Doesn't he EVER shave his legs????" and then my THIRD thought was about the tattoo.

Looking forward to hearing your narcotic-induced ramblings while you lay around the marina. I wonder if we can fit a lounge chair up on on the flying bridge.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Get Better Soon Don! At least you didn't have to get one of those old school Peg Legs! :pirate:
The Down Time
The Down Time
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Boogers. He got sent back to the hospital today. Too much pain and swelling...things aren't going well for him.

Poor Don...this is bad news...:(

- Janna (who is feeling guilty because I signed my name on the bottom of the Downtime's hull which was the signup sheet to help apply bottom paint when it came time to hauling the boat out, but I was in California when it happened)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Yes, it was back go the hospital Saturday morning. Today, Sunday, it was decided I should stay for at least one more day. Good news is the swelling is down and if improvement continues I shouldn't need more
surgery. I have a really impressive set of scars on the left leg to complement the tat on my right.
Just wanted to keep everyone updated. I really appreciate the good wishes I've received from all my friends here!
Be CAREFUL out there!
Don
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Just a quick update on Don's condition; he is back in Pleasant Harbor resting comfortably. Unfortunately he will be out of action for the next several months.

The boat is back in Pleasant Harbor as well. Pacific Adventure Charters continues on with yours truly at the helm.

I have been diving with Don since 2003. The first time I was aboard Down Time, I ripped a neck seal between dives. Don sized me up and said "I have a suit that will fit you". I thought to myself "No way! This guy's gotta be joking." As he made his way from below deck on Little Down Time, I took a look a the dry suit and said "Looks good!" I completed my 2nd dive with no issues.

Since then Don has been a mentor to me through thick and thin. When I decided it was time to become an dive instructor I wanted him to teach me. Since he didn't have his Instructor Trainer credential I settled for a local fella. I worked my way through the course knowing I was just jumping through hoops. When I finished, Don was the one who taught me how to do it correctly.

When I was a young man my grandfather would often prompt me to log my sea time because someday I may want to get my Captains License. "Yea right" I thought, as most young'ins do. I didn't at the time but started keeping the log later on.

Well, as it turn out, this last winter the timing was right. All the kids had flown the coop so with a little coaxing from Don, I took and passed the Coast Guard Captains Course. :pirate:

I studied more than any course I have taken in my life. It was 8 weeks of sheer dedication. A Huge thank you to my wife for putting up with me and for poking holes into the dining room table with my dividers which I don't think she has noticed yet.

I qualified with a 50 Ton Masters of Inland and OUPV (6-Pack) Near Coastal License(s).

Don and I have had many conversations since then deciding that one day he would sit in his office and watch me leave Pleasant Harobr Marina with Down Time and one of his Charters instead of him. I am thinking, OK, maybe in a year or so. However, recent events have bumped that date up to ahhhhh now.

Saturday June 19th was my first "Solo Captain" charter. It was an awesome trip to the South Fingers and Pinnacle. Kudos to my crew for a job well done (Krista & my DM Josh aka: ETDiver), Believe me when I say, I couldn't not have done it without them.

To make a long story even longer, I just wanted everyone to know that Pac Adventure is still up and running. You won't get the Legendary "Don Coleman" humor, briefs, this, that, and the other thing. What you will get is me running the boat, my boat and dive briefs, which so far have turned out to be quite hilarious as I try to mimic Don, and some awesome diving.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the support I have been given during the last few weeks.

Now, LET'S GO DIVING!
Down Time back in Pleasant Harbor
Down Time back in Pleasant Harbor
-Mark
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Awwwwwww, that makes me really want to come diving!!!

Mark isn't Don, but he's got charms,wit and charisma all his own! You can't lose. Besides, we don't want to deprive Don of his dream of sitting back in Puerto Pleasanto Harboro with a beer and watching someone else take divers out on his boat.

Here is Mark underwater:

And topside:

Can't wait to hijack his dive briefings!!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Mark, I can't wait to get back out there and harass you! I'll be checking the July calendar . . . :)
Kelly
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

So what's the latest on Don?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

dwashbur wrote:So what's the latest on Don?
You mean like this?
PeninsulaDiver wrote:Just a quick update on Don's condition; he is back in Pleasant Harbor resting comfortably. Unfortunately he will be out of action for the next several months.
Or more detailed info?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

dwashbur wrote:So what's the latest on Don?
I spoke with Don this morning. He seems to have a lots and lots of time to do the Pac Adventure office work. Since he is in the early stages of his healing he has not reached the full blown stir crazy stage.......yet! One of the great things about a break as severe as Don's is that he has a pretty substantial period of physical therapy to look forward to! There is no doubt in my mind that Nurse Ratchet will get Don's range of motion back.

Don seemed in good spirits. He can't wait to get back to work, but the boat is in excellent hands and still running charters.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

***CONFIDENTIAL***
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
Pleasant Harbor, WA

SHHHHH!!! Our secret in-room webcams have captured an exclusive image for NWDC members only! This is where the astronomical subscription price you pay annually to NWDC pays off.

Hope this helps illuminate the situation and questions that may be lurking in the back of your brains.

- Janna (eye in the sky roving reporter)
Secret spycams capture Don's condition
Secret spycams capture Don's condition
Last edited by nwscubamom on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:blackblink: :cylon: Uh... why do I feel like now I'm being watched? :cylon: :blackblink:

If Don's room isn't safe no place is! :help:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

nwscubamom wrote:SHHHHH!!! Our secret in-room webcams have captured an exclusive image...
(Talking to myself out loud) "WHAT THE!?"
Scrolling through the code….(crazily typing on keyboard – mumbling) "udp, tcp, where’s that command? oh geeze… "

(Talking out loud again) "Janna, how’d you...? Hackmaster! Can’t you just go ID some fish or something!"

(continued crazily typing on keyboard…mumbling). "Ah ha!"

Dang, I punched the wrong port number into the firewall in front of the webcam again! :banghead:

Ok, I confess, I installed the webcam but my motives are simple and clear. I need to keep an eye on him so he doesn’t do anything to jeopardize an on-time recovery because...wait for it...

I WANT TO DIVE AGAIN BEFORE CHRISTMAS!
Wait until he tries to get around without the walker… hee hee ZAP! :zots:

-Mark
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Bric's post made me smile....something to look forward to. Mark and Janna....they're scaring me a little. I'm thinking about turning all electronics off and sitting in the dark for the next few weeks.
don
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

[
nwscubamom wrote:SHHHHH!!! Our secret in-room webcams have captured an exclusive image...
Boy, I'll say. What channel is that....and is it free or PPV?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

mz53480 wrote:
Boy, I'll say. What channel is that....and is it free or PPV?
:laughing3:

Sorry Don. I thought I plugged the hole in the firewall. Apparently I didn't and there are no shortages of hackers on this site. You're on your own buddy. Nothing I can do to stop it now. Good Luck with that webcam!

-Mark :bye: