DCS Hit Update AND a January 2nd dive at Redondo

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

DCS Hit Update AND a January 2nd dive at Redondo

Post by John Rawlings »

I met with a neurologist last Friday to discuss my my residual symptoms from my DCS hit, and the raging headache following my last dive in December. His name is Dr. (Seth) John Stankus, and he was an excellent choice! To my surprise, both he and his wife are technical divers as well as cave divers. In fact, they took their cave training down in the Yucatan with a friend of mine, Scott Carnaham, as their instructor. Dr. Stankus does the dive physicals for some of the state and military divers down in Pierce County. The bottom line is.....he understood completely what I was describing to him and the repercussions.....the eyes of most physicians just glaze over when I start talking about DCS! Heck, Dr. Stankus even reads ADM!

Here's the skinny:

He believes that as a result of my DCS hit in June I have a lesion on my spinal cord in my neck near the base of the brain stem. The reason that he thinks it is a spinal cord lesion rather than one in the brain is that I have detrimental neurological responses in my right hand and my right foot, but NOT on the left side of my body. Were I to have a brain lesion the responses would most likely be on both sides of my body. He feels that my hit was NOT the result of a shower of nitrogen bubbles being forced from one side of my heart to the other due to exertion, but was probably caused by the formation of a single bubble in the spinal cord itself. Spinal cord tissue material is one of the slowest tissues when it comes to absorbing gas as well as off-gassing. Dive computer algorythms are normally based on "fast" tissues, so having both of my computers clear me prior to my hit is another indication that a "slow" tissue was involved. Since the residual symptoms from a neurological DCS hit normally fade after three months or so, he believes that the ones that remain will be with me permanently. Since this basically involves sensitivity to temperature and slight tingling in my feet and not much else (of which I am aware) I can live with that.

Regarding diving.....he sees no reason for me to stop diving. However, he wants me to start slowly. I asked him for specifics about that, and what he wants me to do is make my first 3 - 4 dives relatively shallow ones of around 50 feet or less. He does NOT want me to dive with my rebreather or use Nitrox on these first few dives, because he wants to discover if there will be any problems with using compressed air first. Switching to pure O2 at 20 feet is OK with him, but he wants the dives themselves to be on compressed air. Once I have done these first few dives above 50 feet on compressed air, I am to contact him for a consultation. If there have been no physical issues, then I can move to slightly deeper depths to see how those dives go. The goal is to slowly creep down to those beautifully deep technical depths and gases one small step at a time.

SO......today, in the beautiful calm and sunny weather we had, #-o , Valerie and I met at Redondo to do the first of my 50 FSW dives. The wind and wave action made our entry slightly, ahem, "interesting", and together the two of us provided much merriment for the few bystanders....."Mommy, Mommy, look at the idiot divers!" =D>

Visibility was one step above horrid, but we had a fine time slowly cruising about looking for the "usual suspects" as our friend Bob would say. Valerie knows Redondo like the back of her hand, so I just basically followed her around as she gave me the out-of-towners tour. We saw a beautiful little Red Octopus denned up inside a pipe, a golden Helmet Crab on the VW wreck, and a large flourescent green pen-point gunnel, (it was the biggest gunnel that I have personally ever seen), poking his nose out of a large pipe stuck in the bottom. All the while I was constantly monitoring myself, waiting to see if even a glimmer of a headache would appear.....but I felt GREAT throughout the entire dive! Valerie kept tabs on me throughout the entire diving, always checking to make sure that nothing untoward was going on and that I was doing well.

After 60 minutes of BT we headed toward shore, slowly ascending the shallow slope to 20 FSW. At that time I switched over to pure O2 that I had been carrying slung in an AL 40 stage bottle. We did a 3 minute stop there at 20 FSW and then continued up slope, with me remaining on O2 until we finally surfaced at 67 minutes run-time.

As we staggered onto the beach in the howling wind and rain, unbeknownst to us the staff at Salty's restaurant was watching us through the windows and commenting as to what on earth could be down there that would get people to do what we were doing! About 15 - 20 minutes later Valerie and I were seated in their restaurant warming up on their INCREDIBLE seafood chowder and listening as they described watching us come ashore. :partyman:

When I made it home there was already an e-mail waiting for me from Dr. Stankus wanting to know how the dive went....how's THAT for a good diving doc?!!!! :smt024

All in all, a delightful day! I feel fortunate to have such friends to accompany me as I make my way back into the depths. Thank you SO much, Val!!!!! You will never know how much I appreciated you today! :salute:

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's great John, welcome back! If I had a problem, I can't think of many people I'd rather be with than Valerie. :prayer:

Are you switching to O2 to maximize your nitrogen off-gassing or for some other neurological reason?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. Yeah, it was a really great day for diving. :pale: I appreciate all the information you've shared about your "hit." I think most people who have a DCS hit don't talk about it, or write about it, at any rate. It's been quite educational, following your progress; and I'm delighted that you're back in the water again. Please keep us up to date with future dive reports!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: DCS Hit Update AND a January 2nd dive at Redondo

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:

All in all, a delightful day! I feel fortunate to have such friends to accompany me as I make my way back into the depths. Thank you SO much, Val!!!!! You will never know how much I appreciated you today! :salute:

- John
You are so welcome John. It was a priviledge and an honor to be called upon. Despite the inauspicious beginning (it was quite comical as we, well, I, stumbled and groped my way thro the boulders at the bottom of the steps. At one point I tripped and wound up on my knees, and the raging runoff kept pushing me down. John, Mr. Ten Feet Tall, glanced down from the heights and asked, "are you on your knees, or in a hole?" Smarty pants...) it was a good dive, and lunch was incredible (thanks again).

-Valerie :salute:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote:Are you switching to O2 to maximize your nitrogen off-gassing or for some other neurological reason?
Hey, Sounder!

I'm doing so just to maximize my nitrogen off-gassing....there's nothing like DCS to focus your attention on THAT! HA!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Wow...a single bubble. It is amazing how something that small can screw you up and mess up diving for you.

Where does Dr. Stankus practice? I would like to put his name in my files.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

John - Thanks for the update and info on the doctor...good to know we have resources in this area!

AND congrats on your "issue free" dive (and you got to dive with my favorite buddy!).

Jackie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Wow...a single bubble. It is amazing how something that small can screw you up and mess up diving for you.

Where does Dr. Stankus practice? I would like to put his name in my files.
Hi, Amy!

Here's his information:

Seth John Stankus, DO
Neurology, Diving Medicine
Group Health Permanente
Tacoma Medical Center
209 Martin Luther King Jr Way
Tacoma WA 98405

Pringster
Avid Diver

Post by Pringster »

John,

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. We take our health for granted, but without it, nothing else matters much.
I appreciate your input from this experience as its' something I'll certainly remember and hope you'll share with us your future dive experiences, not only from a recovery standpoint, but I also enjoy your ability as a writer. Obviously....it shows!
It's a blessing that you appear to be recovering well from this ordeal.

Best wishes,

Brian
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great way to start the new year! Hope it will go better and better with each dive, you certainly educated me with your eloquent and easily understandable writing style. Thank you very, very much for sharing your experience. Good luck and many great dives in this new year !
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Redondo

Post by Scubak »

John,
I am sooo glad you finally got back in the water...
Glad you had a good dive and thanks to Valerie for taking care of you....
Kirsten
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

John,

I posted and then my husband looked over my shoulder. He said, "Of course I know Dr Stakus. He is my doctor." My husband has severe RLS, and has seen him over the last couple of years for treatment. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I just assumed you saw a doc up north.

Just a blonde moment for me #-o
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

John, I am so happy to hear you were able to get back in the water with no issues.

I find it incredible that a single bubble caused that, but I think it's great that you have a found a doctor that was able to come to that conclusion....it's got to be comforting to you.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

A special thank you to all of you for your kind wishes and support!!!!!

Each of you are truly a blessing to me....among many that I have received in my life.

How can someone fail to succeed when so many are supporting and encouraging him?

Best regards to you all!

John

runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Hey John,

I hadn't heard about your hit before now. I'm glad to read you're back in the water and having fun. :salute:

Was it a hard decision to get back into the water after a hit? I don't know if I could do it.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John,

SO GLAD that you're back in the water... and we are in your debt for letting us "look over your shoulder" as it were in this entire process. I join the many other voices saying "Thanks". You continue to be an amazing example to all of us, helping make us better divers and better people!

Happy with you! Tom
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

runamonk wrote:Hey John,

I hadn't heard about your hit before now. I'm glad to read you're back in the water and having fun. :salute:

Was it a hard decision to get back into the water after a hit? I don't know if I could do it.
I gave a presentation about it to the club at the same time that I spoke to them about the Lake Crescent/Warren case. For a more detailed discussion of the incident, go to this thread:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=586

No....it was not a hard decision to make. Diving has been a major part of my life for over 30 years. Giving it up would be unthinkable. However, it was a BAD hit and I couldn't walk at first. I had to go through a full 7 days of chamber treatments before I could even come back home. So......I'd be lying if I didn't say that there was some definite fear involved....all kinds of "what ifs" playing games in my mind before the dive. As I told Valerie right after the dive - I felt like a colossal weight had been lifted from me.

I've still got a long way to go on the road back, though.

- John

runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Man that is awesome. I haven't been involved with diving for very long (almost a year now, wow time flies) and it's had it's ups and downs but when I think back on it none of it has required me to sit down and actually think about whether or not I would be able to do it again. I would miss it terribly.

I'm glad you got back up on the saddle and kept going and were actually able to make a recovery. :)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Now you can start feeling weightless when you hit the water instead of when you get out! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!