Lake Union, Wreck of the Jeanette

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Lake Union, Wreck of the Jeanette

Post by Chris Borgen »

This is a wooden fishing vessel we found in Lake Union.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/12726460[/vimeo]
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Lake Union, Wreck of the Jeanette

Post by BDub »

Very nice, Chris!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Freakin awesome dude!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

So did you go commando style or did you actually get permission from the police to dive Lake Union?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sweet Video Chris.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

renoun wrote:So did you go commando style or did you actually get permission from the police to dive Lake Union?
Myself, and 2 other divers are working with a group documenting the wrecks in Lake Union.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Nice vid.

Did you grab that crawdad for an after-dive snack? :D
Purveyor of crack ;)
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Raydar wrote:Nice vid.

Did you grab that crawdad for an after-dive snack? :D
Ha, nope, not sure I would eat anything out of Lake Union. But my buddy Erik gets them a lot from lake Wa
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

beautiful!! wonderful lighting Chris!!! LOVE IT!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Chris Borgen wrote:
renoun wrote:So did you go commando style or did you actually get permission from the police to dive Lake Union?
Myself, and 2 other divers are working with a group documenting the wrecks in Lake Union.
That is fine, just be aware that the Harobor Patrol likes to do its own thing and can make some odd choices about when and where they choose to enforce some of the odd laws still on the books. Currently one is prohibited from diving between the locks and Webster Point without written permission from the Chief of Police (typically deligated to the Harbor Patrol Lt.). I have had some ongoing issues with them not being willing to recognize changes we had the city council make to the speed limit ordinace several years ago even though there were Harbor Patrol staff present at the council meeting.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I've called them and gotten verbal permission to dive the AJ Fuller (also in the Harbor Patrol permit required area). There was no paperwork, although I did get the dispatcher's name along with the date and time I spoke with her. Just in case a patrol officer approached us on the water. SPD seems more possessive of Lake Union and the ship canal than the Seattle waterfront & Harbor Island though.

Personally Lake Union water isn't very bad and I would swim there in non-storm events (I work in water quality). But I would not dive there. The sediment ranks pretty bad, if more fish could actually live there (it goes anoxic) it would be right up there with the Duwamish as a Superfund site. PAHs, PCBs, copper, lead, and tributyltin are all really high in sediment there. From stormwater runoff, marinas, and boat/ship yards. I'd recommend a FFM sealed to a dry hood at a minimum. When the EPA hazmat dive team did some caged fish studies in Lake Union with me 9yrs ago this was their minimum PPE (personal protective equipment).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote: The sediment ranks pretty bad, if more fish could actually live there (it goes anoxic) it would be right up there with the Duwamish as a Superfund site. PAHs, PCBs, copper, lead, and tributyltin are all really high in sediment there. From stormwater runoff, marinas, and boat/ship yards. I'd recommend a FFM sealed to a dry hood at a minimum. When the EPA hazmat dive team did some caged fish studies in Lake Union with me 9yrs ago this was their minimum PPE (personal protective equipment).

In 97 I was helping a friend who was highered to pull things off the bottom of the ship canal and we ran into these pools of the bright purple gue that reminded me of the slimy stuff we had as kids. We sent some to the lab at UW and it came back as PCB's. Bad JuJu.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

CaptnJack wrote:I've called them and gotten verbal permission to dive the AJ Fuller (also in the Harbor Patrol permit required area). There was no paperwork, although I did get the dispatcher's name along with the date and time I spoke with her. Just in case a patrol officer approached us on the water. SPD seems more possessive of Lake Union and the ship canal than the Seattle waterfront & Harbor Island though.

Personally Lake Union water isn't very bad and I would swim there in non-storm events (I work in water quality). But I would not dive there. The sediment ranks pretty bad, if more fish could actually live there (it goes anoxic) it would be right up there with the Duwamish as a Superfund site. PAHs, PCBs, copper, lead, and tributyltin are all really high in sediment there. From stormwater runoff, marinas, and boat/ship yards. I'd recommend a FFM sealed to a dry hood at a minimum. When the EPA hazmat dive team did some caged fish studies in Lake Union with me 9yrs ago this was their minimum PPE (personal protective equipment).
Well apparently Lake Union isn't the only spot we should be worried about. Komo 4 got us on vid this morning diving in fecal infested waters off sand point.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/9691 ... ?tab=video
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Chris Borgen wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I've called them and gotten verbal permission to dive the AJ Fuller (also in the Harbor Patrol permit required area). There was no paperwork, although I did get the dispatcher's name along with the date and time I spoke with her. Just in case a patrol officer approached us on the water. SPD seems more possessive of Lake Union and the ship canal than the Seattle waterfront & Harbor Island though.

Well apparently Lake Union isn't the only spot we should be worried about. Komo 4 got us on vid this morning diving in fecal infested waters off sand point.

Unfortunately I can't get the video to load.

Awesome video of the Jeanette though, and the music was cool too.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:

Unfortunately I can't get the video to load.

Awesome video of the Jeanette though, and the music was cool too.
Thanks Matt, the link worked for me so it should be working
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Chris Borgen wrote:

They sure made Eric's word say what they wanted buy cutting and pasting didn't they. Dude you are now a target for the city. :timeout: I am glad I decided to stay home this morning instead of going diving.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

loanwolf wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:

They sure made Eric's word say what they wanted buy cutting and pasting didn't they. Dude you are now a target for the city. :timeout: I am glad I decided to stay home this morning instead of going diving.
Target for the city?????? And yeah they cropped Eriks interview. Should have come diving, the water was nice!!
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Hey Chris, I think I've seen that one with Eric. It's on the southern end of the lake isn't it?
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

gcbryan wrote:Hey Chris, I think I've seen that one with Eric. It's on the southern end of the lake isn't it?
Gray, no we just found this one. We had never seen it before.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Chris Borgen wrote:
gcbryan wrote:Hey Chris, I think I've seen that one with Eric. It's on the southern end of the lake isn't it?
Gray, no we just found this one. We had never seen it before.
Nice! You guys need to find some new wrecks in a nicer body of water! :)