DIW June 22, 2010

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

DIW June 22, 2010

Post by cardiver »

Wow! Frikin' fan :supz:t astic, unbelievably amazing dive with incredible viz!
I'm going to bed. More later....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Re: DIW June 22, 2010

Post by gutholmj »

Seconded. It was so overwhelming to the senses to see so much of the wall at once, I mostly forgot to take any pictures. I did quickly snap this one though so what the heck is it? I'm guessing some kind of crab. It was about 1-1/2" across.
Attachments
PICT0375.jpg
Last edited by gutholmj on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

I agree, GREAT dive last night! It was a bit strange diving with Ron without his camera.
Life is good, let's dive!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

DiverBob wrote:I agree, GREAT dive last night! It was a bit strange diving with Ron without his camera.
Post some pics, Bob!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sigh.... Missin' out on some great dives.

Looking forward to the report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tom Nic wrote:Sigh.... Missin' out on some great dives.

Looking forward to the report!
I'll give you the run down, but someone needs to post some photos.
I met with Bob, James and Victoria for a 2045 splash at DIW last night. It was the first time that Victoria had been there and she seemed to be pretty excited about the dive.
We swam out toward the wall with a little bit of current pushing us to the north so we angled south and continued on.
Every time that I think I am far enough out to drop right on the wall, I'm wrong. After about five minutes of finning along the bottom, we came to the edge of the wall and peered over. wehad ended up at a very deep, completely vertical section of the wall and as I shined my light over the edge I could see almost to the base of the wall. Horizontal viz was about 30 fsw and vertical was better than that!
As we let the current push us north we came upon the big, mated pair of wolfies and the big guy was very docile. A little bit further down the wall I noticed a very large gpo in it's den so I began to signal Bob to come over and get a pic. As I turned back toward the wall I was dive bombed buy a fairly large seal that startled me and had me sqeeling like a school girl. I really love seeing these guys on a dive!
About 15 minutes in to the dive we hit slack and had 30 minutes or so of perfectly still water to explore in. Bob and I started making our way north and, and just as we past the large wolfies I was bombed by the seal again. This time he gave me a couple of fly bys before taking off again.
When Bob gave me the 1000 psi signal we came up over the wall and started back to shore with a slight flood current moving us toward the entry. After 65 minutes we surfaced right at the entry point and we were both grinning from ear to ear.
A very enjoyable dive with good friends and great viz!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:supz:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Great report Ron, not much to add. It was a beautiful night for a dive. When we surfaced, it was almost dark and the moon was shrouded in light clouds. I ended up missing a couple of good shots, especially frustrating when I missed the large Kelp Greenling. The strobe has been a mixed blessing for me. With the current at the beginning of the dive, I ended up bumping a setting on the strobe. It is also difficult to photo Octo's and W.E. that are denned up. Anyway, I will post a couple of shots.
Attachments
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG
Life is good, let's dive!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nice shots, Bob! I forgot to mention that huge greenling in my report. #-o
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

It looks like that Painted Greenling is in its mating colors. Must be that time of year.