UTD Essentials

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

UTD Essentials

Post by nwbobber »

I just completed UTD essentials with Bdub and Jeanna Edgerton. What a great class! In a month, I feel like I have been given a huge boost towards becoming a competent solid diver. Lots of work to do mind you, but there has been a major change in my diving in the last 6 weeks. I can't recommend this training highly enough. This was the best investment I have made to date in my diving enjoyment. A huge thanks to Jeanna and Brian. You rock! :supz:
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: UTD Essentials

Post by BASSMAN »

nwbobber wrote: In a month, I feel like I have been given a huge boost towards becoming a competent solid diver.
:uh:
Is there any other way to become a competent solid diver?
:smt064

Sounds like the Philosophy of some other closely affiliated organization.

I'm just thinkin' out loud here :stir:

:evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

There are lots of ways, I'm sure. I'm just saying that Brian And Jeanna are extremely good instructors and I'm grateful for their excellent work. =D> Not trying to get into a philosophical argument. :angelblue: I have a lot of weird philosophies, I've given up. #-o
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

congratulations, nwbobber, and to the others who finished the class along with you!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

nwbobber wrote:I just completed UTD essentials with Bdub and Jeanna Edgerton. What a great class! In a month, I feel like I have been given a huge boost towards becoming a competent solid diver. Lots of work to do mind you, but there has been a major change in my diving in the last 6 weeks. I can't recommend this training highly enough. This was the best investment I have made to date in my diving enjoyment. A huge thanks to Jeanna and Brian. You rock! :supz:
Agreed, thanks guys. :koolaid:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Truth be told I would probably take that training, if I could afford it. Maybe, some day.
I'm sure your a better diver because of that training, I was just pokin fun at DIR thinking.
I'm sure it is the same, but maybe a little different. UTD/DIR, I'm not a hater of either.
I just hope you don't feel that you were an incompetent soft, diver before the training.
Congratulations on completing the course. I've heard it's not easy.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

BASSMAN wrote:Truth be told I would probably take that training, if I could afford it. Maybe, some day.
I'm sure your a better diver because of that training, I was just pokin fun at DIR thinking.
I'm sure it is the same, but maybe a little different. UTD/DIR, I'm not a hater of either.
I just hope you don't feel that you were an incompetent soft, diver before the training.
I'm sorry Bassman but none of us can reply to your post. If we do we will be excommunicated from the DIR community. At the end of the class there is a ceremony where we all get together and burn yellow octo hoses and chant a special oath that forbids any interaction with "the others". Actually, Bobber has been excommunicated all ready for replying to your first post.....oh shit I just realized that I'm also reply...............
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I feel better. I got back into diving after the DIR commandos got everyone all riled up. I bought a bunch of halcyon equipment cause I liked the way it worked before I even heard of DIR, then was shocked to learn some would judge me as an *hole (maybe, I had heard stories) by showing up decked out in my new gear. Well it didn't turn out to be that bad thankfully, I think that divers are generally patient kind people. I hope the dive community can get past that argument. I don't care how any one else dives, I just want to be more comfortable and maximize my fun. I'm gettin' there, doin' whatever works, and I'd enjoy diving with you Bassman, if I could just make it all the way up there on a thursday.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Actually, Bobber has been excommunicated all ready for replying to your first post.....oh shit I just realized that I'm also reply...............
Ooops #-o
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Congratulations. As long as you keep diving, you won't be excommunicated.

Keith, :arsespank:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I cant get enough of these threads....

Congrats on your achievment..
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Congrats on finishing Essentials!

I think many people would be surprised at how little this class has to do with any kind of philosophy other than maximizing enjoyment while diving.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Congrats on finishing Essentials!

I think many people would be surprised at how little this class has to do with any kind of philosophy other than maximizing enjoyment while diving.
Seriously Matt, quit reading my mind . . . (see thread about the grenade)

But it's true! I'm the LAST person you'd think of being a DIR diver, but at least I understand the why's of what they do now. I really appreciated Brian explaining the philosophy, but it was such a small part of what I got out of the class.

It's such a funny thing to say the class was "just" about trim, buoyancy, proper kicking techniques, etc--it doesn’t do the class justice. I agree with Bob--it feels like I came out the other side a more confident and solid diver. I also know the things I need to keep working on to continue feeling more comfortable in the water--hell, I’ve seen them all in living color! (Never underestimate the power of seeing yourself on video.) Brian and Jeanna have amazing patience, but they also don’t pull punches, which I appreciate. I’ll have Brian’s voice in my head for the next several months, giving me crap if I go vertical on an ascent because I’m lazy. Sigh.

Bottom line . . . if you take this class from Brian and Jeanna, you won’t be disappointed. If this sounds like a shameless plug, then good--I meant it as one.
Kelly
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

The only thing this thread is missing is a link.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Norris wrote:The only thing this thread is missing is a link.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/ :taco:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Thanks for the nice words, everyone. However, it's worth saying that what you get out of this class is proportional to the effort you put in it.

You all showed up, ready to learn and eager to improve your skills and it showed.

Good job, and congrats to all of you.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BASSMAN wrote:Truth be told I would probably take that training, if I could afford it. Maybe, some day.
Congratulations on completing the course. I've heard it's not easy.
If I may, Brian and Jeanna have worked very hard to avoid the negative stereotype associated with the whole DIR thing. I think they've done an excellent job with re-introducing a more positive, let's-have-fun-and-not-be-dicks form of team diving to the PNW. Comments like these only serve to take away from the effort.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
GetWet
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GetWet »

I have been diving for about 2 years and have around 100 dives logged. Since taking the UTD essentials class I feel like 'diver'. I am excited to be diving. I am a good buddy, and a good diver. Do I need to practice the skills I learned? Yes! Is there more for me to learn, 'oh yeah'!

But I finally can dive! My gear fits right, I can gear up, clip things off, do safety drills, shoot a bag, but most importantly.... I can hang out where ever in the water column I want to! Particularly off the silty bottom of Hood Canal! :partydance: Sigh... That is heaven.

Brian and Jeanna did a wonderful job with the class, the skill, the practice, everything. I can say for sure, I will be diving with them agan!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

DIR
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Pez7378 wrote:
DIR
:taco:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

UTD Essentials

Post by Tangfish »

Once I have enough retractors clipped off to me (minimum 12 pieces of "flair"), I feel like a real diver. Either that or having a buddy along with a laser pointer strong enough to agitate the sharks. *pokes Bassman*
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I dive a Long hose set up, why? because it's easier to share air with my buddy. (not because I want to go cave diving)
I dive a Backplate and wing, why? because I got a good deal on one and after hearing Grateful diver say, "it puts weight over on top of your lungs" so SS BP and Wing with a DUI weight harness helps me trim out better.
But please, don't put me on video. :eek:

I stopped diving my split fins, because I tried the Hollis F-1's once.
But I still use my splits in the Aquarium.
So it seems that I'm slowly drifting towards UTD or tecreational diver. but I keep my blue Finstrap, my red bungie chord on my inflator hose and my blue bungie on my Necklace
Just to be sure I'm not accused of being "DIR" :blackblink:
I do appreciate the several tips I have gotten from other divers who have taken the Fundies class.
I don't do it very often but one guy showed me how to descend with a buddy, horizontally, face to face and if you get to close to each other you can fist-bump away. That little tid-bit has been fun to use once-in-a-while. Thank's SgtPepper, where ever you are.
I still need to learn how to reverse kick. :smt064 :notworthy:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tangfish wrote:Once I have enough retractors clipped off to me (minimum 12 pieces of "flair"), I feel like a real diver. Either that or having a buddy along with a laser pointer strong enough to agitate the sharks. *pokes Bassman*
:supz: :rofl: :rofl: :laughing3: :rofl: :rofl: :supz: :smt035 :smt064 :fish: :eek:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

We all talk a lot about equipment, trim, kicks.... that's the 'D' part. The other 2/3's of the formula is the 'unified team'. I wouldn't want one without the other because for me personally the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I'm not pushy about it, I'm just saying it's made my diving more enjoyable.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

nwbobber wrote:I just completed UTD essentials with Bdub and Jeanna Edgerton. What a great class! In a month, I feel like I have been given a huge boost towards becoming a competent solid diver. Lots of work to do mind you, but there has been a major change in my diving in the last 6 weeks. I can't recommend this training highly enough. This was the best investment I have made to date in my diving enjoyment. A huge thanks to Jeanna and Brian. You rock! :supz:
Thanks for this post! I met Jeanna and the crew at the Tacoma dive show, and liked what I heard, so the Essentials class is on my "to do" list.

When I first started in OW class, I hit ScubaBoard, and connected with some folks that, if I had to describe them, I'd say they dive a tech flavored rec. (Mmmm... minty.) This appeals to me, both the philosophy and the methodology behind it. Being a new diver and on neither side of this divide has given me an interesting perspective on this clan war. And for the most part, that's what seems. Many people involved don't even know what they are adamantly against. For instance, someone involved in my minting as a new diver reacted very strongly to my mention of UTD's Essentials course... but didn't seem familiar with UTD or the Essentials course... but was quick to tell me not to do it . *sigh*

Seems to me Jeanna and Brian especially are working very hard to bring the best forward. I have a hard time believing, after talking to them, looking at their offerings and hearing from those who are partaking of them, that it's really all just a hoax to assimilate divers into a Borg like structure. :stir:

That's not to say people haven't known a lot of a-hole divers from all corners -- but consider that those with certain types of personalities, focuses and interests can be less than savvy in the social graces department. For instance, in any technical field, the most brilliant minds can also be the biggest a-holes. They don't mean to be, it's just... them. So I can totally see how down the line, there may have been a long line of tech divers who have spread a "my way or the highway," or "if you don't do as I do, you're an idiot" message. Perhaps on purpose, perhaps because they simply don't have the best bedside manner and don't communicate well. Such religious wars are SOP in any technical or engineering field (programming languages, development methodologies, etc.).

I don't know. I don't care. I like what I hear from Jeanna and Brian and UTD as a whole. And I'm gonna try them out. And I'll share my experiences when I do. Until then... love hearing about others'!
Last edited by lavachickie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.