Drysuit pocket glue

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Drysuit pocket glue

Post by WASP7000 »

Anyone have suggestions on glueing a pocket on a bilam suit? It started peeling off so I did some research, yadda yadda, ended up glueing it back on with seal cement because so many people reccommended it, and it started coming off again after the first dive. Is there different kinds of seal cement? The only one the shop had said for neoprene wetsuits/drysuits, but I figured it was all the same stuff, maybe not.

I would like to be able to remove the pocket in the future if it gets jacked up, so I don't want to use aquaseal. But right now I'm considering sticking a couple small globs of aquaseal just on the corners to keep it from peeling.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Drysuit pocket glue

Post by Nwbrewer »

This is what I use, but I've heard it has some trouble on some nylon suits. I think April's peeled off.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Aquaseal lets go if you heat it.

The problem with pockets is that the stresses are high at the corners. It was my experience that the corners will eventually peel, no matter what adhesive you use, or how carefully you prepare the surfaces. I eventually gave up and sent my suit in to have the pockets sewn on and sealed.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i glued XS Scuba pockets on my USIA bilam suit with Aquaseal and they've stayed put for over 100 dives and are still doing fine.

some good info in this thread, too.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I've glued a pocket on my Diving Concepts Z-flex (Trilam) with seal cement and after 100 dives haven't had anything peel up.

Here is the process I used.....
Chalk out where you want to place the pocket on your thigh. It's best to do this with the suit on and someone helping you.
Put a board on the leg of the suit so that the area that you are glueing lays flat
Make sure the area where youre placing the pocket is super clean and dry.
Put the cement on both the pocket and the suit and brush it out to cover the entire surface area. Lots and lots of cement. I think I used an entire tube.
Let the cement become tacky (10 min or so) and attach it to the suit.
Weigh it down with something heavy ...ala dive weights
After the glue is dried run a bead of glue around the perimeter of the pocket.

If the bilam suit is shiny, after I've cleaned the area I would scuff it with sandpaper or a 3M pad so the glue will stick
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Yeah thats pretty much exactly what I did, but maybe I didn't use quite enough glue.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Not all shell suit material is the same. The DC suits are some form or another of codura, which seems to take glue really well. April's DUI material was more slick, and more difficult to get the adhesive to stick.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Nwbrewer wrote:Not all shell suit material is the same. The DC suits are some form or another of codura, which seems to take glue really well. April's DUI material was more slick, and more difficult to get the adhesive to stick.
Hmm...
You could try using PB 300 (the stuff for wrist and neck seals) instead of seal cement but its pretty spendy at $20 for 4 ounces.
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

BillZ wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Not all shell suit material is the same. The DC suits are some form or another of codura, which seems to take glue really well. April's DUI material was more slick, and more difficult to get the adhesive to stick.
Hmm...
You could try using PB 300 (the stuff for wrist and neck seals) instead of seal cement but its pretty spendy at $20 for 4 ounces.
Can you get that at a dive shop?

Edit: Also... what's the glue on the inside of the suits used on the seams? I'm interested in attempting to sew on my own pockets.
Last edited by April on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

April wrote:
BillZ wrote:
Hmm...
Can you get that at a dive shop?
Lighthouse in Lynwood has it. You can get it cheaper form Bob3 if you don't need it right away.

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I saw some E6000 in the U of W Bookstore yesterday, down stairs in the art section.
I use PB300 for putting on seals. I don't think it would work well for pockets, not robust enough. But, I haven't tried it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

The stuff used to seal the seams on the inside is aquaseal.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

April wrote: Can you get that [PB-300] at a dive shop?
The closest place for you to get it is at Northwest Outdoor Center, the kayak shop on Westlake. They sell it in half pint cans.

Larger tubes of E6000 are available at Hardwick's on Roosevelt.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver