Sund Rock 7/25

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Sund Rock 7/25

Post by gutholmj »

You know it's going to be a good day when your wife wakes you us and says "let's go diving."

We got there first thing in the am, all geared up and ready to go. We were the first ones to hit the water and did a nice hour dive on the south wall without seeing anyone else. Visibility was nice. Perhaps 15' on the surface and improving to 25' below 30 fsw. We did our slightly abbreviated SI and went down to the north entry just as the classes were doing their briefings in the shallows. We got to enjoy another pristine hour diving the north wall.
Attachments
PICT0637.jpg
PICT0624.jpg
PICT0627.jpg
PICT0620.jpg
PICT0646.jpg
PICT0659.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Re: Sund Rock 7/25

Post by Diver Doug »

I dove there also 7/24, There were a huge amount of people but we got the first dive in before it was mucked up. Vis was great about 15-20 foot. If anybody found a wide angle lense for a sealife camera, mine is somewhere around the south end of the north wall/ fishbowl area, oops.
If only I had Gills
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nice pics James! Hope to get out again with you sometime....perhaps to go crabbing at Potlatch?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

That sunflower star in the last picture looks like it's glowing from the inside. Like it's got lava underneath it. That's pretty cool.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

You had me at...
gutholmj wrote:You know it's going to be a good day when your wife wakes you us and says "let's go diving."

I could only wish, my wife would talk to me that way!

Otherwise, great pics! =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I think we saw you there- did you have the Subaru? I think your drysuits were blue-ish? I was going to catch you and ask if you were on the nwdc as you were starting your second dive but missed you cause you hopped in the water ---fast! :0

Great dives- I posted some pix on FB- tons of octos and wolfies at Octopus hole and Sund

I was a bit irritated that a scuba shop would bring a big class to Sund. Seems like there are a lot of other places well suited to that.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Gooch wrote:I think we saw you there- did you have the Subaru? I think your drysuits were blue-ish? I was going to catch you and ask if you were on the nwdc as you were starting your second dive but missed you cause you hopped in the water ---fast! :0

Great dives- I posted some pix on FB- tons of octos and wolfies at Octopus hole and Sund

I was a bit irritated that a scuba shop would bring a big class to Sund. Seems like there are a lot of other places well suited to that.
Both of our drysuits are blue/black but I drive a white Toyota Tacoma. You might have seen us standing talking to Steve and Nick though who were driving a Subaru.

I'm a bit conflicted on the idea of bringing classes to Sund Rock. It's a nice site and I'd really like for it to stay that way. Perhaps even improve. The site gets silted up really easily though and it seems likely that having big classes silting things up has some impact on the marine life.

On the other hand, if the only sites you dive during OW are flat gravel bottoms with nothing to see, then it's unlikely you'll become a regular PNW diver. It was a tour of Sund Rock last October that got me back into diving. I'm really glad that I was taken someplace nice, otherwise I'd still be a vacation diver.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I'd like to get to meet some of y'all so I can put faces to more of you. Next time I go diving, I'll put up a big sign that says "NWDC folks, stop by and say Hi"

I'll have to try to hit one of your club dives and wear a name badge :)

I was really glad we hit the south wall early. The north was mucked up a bit when we got there but we were persistent and got to see some cool sights-- lots of octos around.

I know what you mean about the balance of beauty of the sight and making training/certification engaging. Pt Whitney is a really excellent place to have a class I think- pebbly bottom that takes a long time to get deep and if you go following the pipe, you can see some pretty cool stuff. Lot of kelp there now with the sunshine....
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice find on the Decorated Warbonnet! I don't remember seeing one there - I'm sure they're around, just a ton of places for them to hide.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Gutholmj- I posted some pix from this day of diving (and octopus hole on sat) here:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13029