Body Glide for neckseals

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Body Glide for neckseals

Post by ldevore »

Recently, I've been using Body Glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/) to prevent blisters when hiking and running. Has anyone ever used it to prevent neckseal hickies?

Lauri

Can't wait to see how soon this topic goes south..... :popcorn:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Body Glide for neckseals

Post by Sounder »

Yes, I use it all the time. It's great stuff... not a cure-all, but it does lessen the impact on several-dive days.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What about it's affect on latex?? I do sometimes get neck rash from my seal.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

as you can see, I too am curious what its effect is on latex seals :)
Attachments
2010_0722cameranew0004.JPG
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

YES! I used it when I had a latex seal, John Rawlings introduced it to me. Other times, I limited my head cranking around while looking around for my buddy.
It works well and there was no adverse effect on the latex. Now I have a neoprene seal and I can't believe how comfortable it is in comparison, no need for body glide. But I have not yet mastered the whole inverse turtleneck fold to stay 100% dry.
If I get it just right, I stay dry. Some head tilts seem to let water get in. I might need to get it sized a bit smaller.
Or.... :idea: I might try the body glide with it :supz:

I picked mine up at a REI store.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Been using and recommending Seal Saver for this purpose for years ... wondering if anyone's got any comparisons between the two products. I'm always up for learning about something better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

+1 for seal saver. A little right before the dive around the inside and you are set. I actually still have a scar from one I got in sitka when I failed to use it.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Been diving for more than 20 years and have never used anything, but I have neoprene neck seals.... Blaiz - that looks like more than just a neck seal hicky, it looks like you could stand to trim a little off the seal... OUCH!!

And Rick, I know better than to believe that was from just the 'seal' when you were here... ha ha
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

sitkadiver wrote:
And Rick, I know better than to believe that was from just the 'seal' when you were here... ha ha
What happens in Sitka....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

ldevore wrote:Recently, I've been using Body Glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/) to prevent blisters when hiking and running. Has anyone ever used it to prevent neckseal hickies?

Lauri

Can't wait to see how soon this topic goes south..... :popcorn:

I've been using it on my neck seal for about 2 years. I've seen no issues. Other than no longer having seal rash.
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

as a white water kayaker we use both. Imagine surfing in the ocean, always looking back to check waves, wearing a kayaking drysuit...sand gets in there between neck and gasket and it scabs up...

We use seal saver to condition the gaskets between uses, protects and keeps in good shape. The body glide...goes on YOU not the gasket. Seal saver goes on the gasket.

So between kayaking days we use seal saver to maintain gaskets, but when heading to the coast to surf, we use body glide on our necks to prevent rashes/neck hickeys.

Hope this information helps.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924