San Juans boat charter - Sunday, August 1

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Re: San Juans boat charter - Sunday, August 1

Post by gutholmj »

Grateful Diver wrote:Yup ... one person lost their camera and strobe on the first dive ... thought he had it clipped off until he reached for it and it wasn't there. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a drift dive, and although he looked for it, didn't find it.
Now I don't get to make up an incredible story of terror and heroism to explain my lack of a camera. Kim and I spent an hour looking. The area was covered in large blades of kelp concealing pockets and crevices. We combed through everything and never found it. It was not terribly expensive but enough to hurt and not insured. If I really want some pics, I'll be shooting film again for awhile.

On the same dive, I surfaced and inflated my wing which deflated almost as quick as I could inflate it. I had to float on the buoyancy in my suit until the boat came and picked us up. The seam in the bladder came apart, no tear or anything, it just came apart. The wing is only about 9 months old with ~150 dives. No second dive for me.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Yup ... one person lost their camera and strobe on the first dive ... thought he had it clipped off until he reached for it and it wasn't there. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a drift dive, and although he looked for it, didn't find it.
Now I don't get to make up an incredible story of terror and heroism to explain my lack of a camera. Kim and I spent an hour looking. The area was covered in large blades of kelp concealing pockets and crevices. We combed through everything and never found it. It was not terribly expensive but enough to hurt and not insured. If I really want some pics, I'll be shooting film again for awhile.

On the same dive, I surfaced and inflated my wing which deflated almost as quick as I could inflate it. I had to float on the buoyancy in my suit until the boat came and picked us up. The seam in the bladder came apart, no tear or anything, it just came apart. The wing is only about 9 months old with ~150 dives. No second dive for me.
Sorry to hear about the camera, James. Does this mean you're a no show for Wednesday and Thursday?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:Does this mean you're a no show for Wednesday and Thursday?
I'm going up to Tacoma Scuba tonight so Wally can try to get my wing fixed under warranty. he said he might be able to hook me up with a wing temporarily so if that works out then I'm still in for Wednesday and Thursday.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
I'm going up to Tacoma Scuba tonight so Wally can try to get my wing fixed under warranty. he said he might be able to hook me up with a wing temporarily so if that works out then I'm still in for Wednesday and Thursday.
Good to know. I think that it's just me and you on Wednesday.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

gutholmj wrote:On the same dive, I surfaced and inflated my wing which deflated almost as quick as I could inflate it. I had to float on the buoyancy in my suit until the boat came and picked us up. The seam in the bladder came apart, no tear or anything, it just came apart. The wing is only about 9 months old with ~150 dives. No second dive for me.
wow, that sucks. good thing you had a suit you could use for buoyancy! what brand wing is it?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

could someone with a rebreather find the camera ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

H20doctor wrote:could someone with a rebreather find the camera ?
I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread this morning. Depending on likely depth and other factors I wouldn't mind attempting a retrieval. If too deep for me I can at least offer my boat as a platform for some other rebreather divers. It would make for an interesting day.

This would be a needle in the haystack kind of thing but sometimes it works out. If there was a way to narrow the search it might make it to nail in haystack odds.

steve
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

spatman wrote:
gutholmj wrote:On the same dive, I surfaced and inflated my wing which deflated almost as quick as I could inflate it. I had to float on the buoyancy in my suit until the boat came and picked us up. The seam in the bladder came apart, no tear or anything, it just came apart. The wing is only about 9 months old with ~150 dives. No second dive for me.
wow, that sucks. good thing you had a suit you could use for buoyancy! what brand wing is it?
Dive Rite Venture Wing. Hopefully they stand behind it and warranty the bladder. In the interim, Tacoma Scuba is letting me use another wing so I'm a happy diver. :fish:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

gutholmj wrote:
James, if Wally can't hook you up with a wing let me know ... I have a spare or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Grateful Diver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
James, if Wally can't hook you up with a wing let me know ... I have a spare or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob. Wally's got me squared away.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

On the positive side, you get to shop for a new camera.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:On the positive side, you get to shop for a new camera.....
Thanks, Kim reads these forums. Ever notice how many bruises I always have? Wonder why?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

It was a spendy day of diving for a couple of people. However, the second dive was incredible and my new "cheapie" camera performed well. The current was fun!
Tim is just sick over losing the BEAST but I am sure he will have it replaced in a couple of weeks. I still think we should try and look for it again!
The seam on the wing blowing out like that was just weird. Hope Wally can help you!
Thanks for the charter Bob...we have to dive again soon!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
derek b
Avid Diver

Post by derek b »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Second dive, someone else dropped a very expensive SLR, housing, focus light and dual strobes (about $6K setup) right after entering the water ... in a pretty stiff current on a fairly steep wall. No chance to find it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
WOW! I almost cried when I read this.
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

Hey all,

Yep ... I lost her .... And I am still sick about it .... Mark with Deep Sea has the GPS location and I talked with him and he will keep a look out. The location was James Island. Jumping in I hit the water and turned to get my camera ... Just then I noticed my left glove was flooding. I reach for the camera, raised my flooded glove at the same time, and lost the grip on my camera. I tried to dive and catch the camera, flooded glove be damned, but it was too far down to reach.

I am asking that is anyone finds this rig ... I will gladly discuss a reward for its return. The rig is sealed tight and the power was off, so in theory, it should be fine.

The camera is a Nikon D90, Ikelite housing, Big Blue 3x5 focus light (black), Dual kelite D120 strobes.

I thought insurance would cover this, but after talking to them, they stated that I did not have the policy set up correctly
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

If you find it, please let me know.

Thank you

Tim e.g cpt.bungee

If someone want to try a recovers .... I will gladly pay for the gas and time ....
It's ALL good in the world today ......
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

sandman98007 wrote:
I thought insurance would cover this, but after talking to them, they stated that I did not have the policy set up correctly

What the heck? What a load of poop. I can only imagine how you feel but now I am upset too.

I wouldn't mind going back up there for a recovery dive....
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

Heading up Saturday .... wish us luck .... got the gps and hopefully we will get lucky .....
It's ALL good in the world today ......