getting wet in seattle diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

getting wet in seattle diving

Post by spudgunman »

so I am a new diver and getting as much info in the next week before we dive in seattle for the first time. Later today I am meeting up to ask lots of questions of local diver (Bob) but until then few thinking ideas I wanted to ask...

we just picked up some wet suits at the dive fair thing, it was cheap and I couldn't let that deal go for a wet suit.

I am hoping to get my wife into diving in the sound and wanted to know good places to start out I am looking for somewhere that is nice and calm (no current) so that I can get her into water and accustom to the cold and dark. something she or I have not dove in before.

as well as looking for tips on how to ease her into the cold, she is like most women like a angry alligator if she is cold, I heard a tip to bring along hot water and dump it in her wetsuit before she dives in so that the shock is slower. any more tips or ideas like that?

otherwise in the next week or so I hope to OWN all the personal gear (suit, gloves, boots, mask, fin, snork) then we will be renting different types of "hardware" so that we can make purchase decisions, or simply find a good rental shop to rent from for a while until we decide if owning is worth the cash for the hobby (if she dont like the hobby it limits my cash and time I can spend on the hobby!) but that is a phase 3 (phase 1 is get warm and safe, phase 2 is learn the local conditions, phase three is buy things if we want)

so with those small ramblings (I have about 1 million questions) but will start small
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Re: getting wet in seattle diving

Post by WASP7000 »

Wet suits are only cheap until you realize that you need a drysuit and wont ever use a wetsuit. If you ever want your wife to go on a second dive in the NW, get her a drysuit.

As far as gear goes, don't just buy what the dive shop/instructor reccommends. I share the same opinions as a lot of other divers that we're pretty sure dive shops want you to buy gear that they know you'll replace in short order because you don't like it. that way they can sell you 2 sets of gear instead of 1.

Just a few things I and others I've talked to would never have bought in the first place (or are glad we didn't get duped into buying when starting out) are:

-split fins (just get some turtles, they're cheaper anyway)
-a recreational BCD (go with a back plate and wing, they are cheaper too)
-wetsuit (covered that before, buy a drysuit, cry once and be done with it)
-hose mounted computer (they drag on everything and you have to find it to check air, wrist computer is the way to go)
-aluminum tanks
-yoke first stage (just get a DIN, they're safer)

These are of course my opinions (and those of other divers I've talked to) and to each his/her own. Take it for what it's worth but it could save you some money. If you can, try a lot of stuff before you commit to buying anything so you know what you do/don't like.

here's a link with what people wished they hadn't bought:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic- ... egret.html
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lots of your gear questions will get discussed this evening.

As for where to dive ... a great place to start is good ol' Cove 2 .. aka "The Office".

A trip out to the Honey Bear is quite appropriate for the new diver. It's shallow, interesting, and there's rarely any current.

We can talk about when if you'd like a local guide ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

Grateful Diver wrote:Lots of your gear questions will get discussed this evening.

As for where to dive ... a great place to start is good ol' Cove 2 .. aka "The Office".

A trip out to the Honey Bear is quite appropriate for the new diver. It's shallow, interesting, and there's rarely any current.

We can talk about when if you'd like a local guide ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
haha slow day at work I was getting antsy you cant answer anything till this afternoon! haha

BTW if you want dinner on me plan for that as well!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

WASP7000 wrote:Wet suits are only cheap until you realize that you need a drysuit and wont ever use a wetsuit. If you ever want your wife to go on a second dive in the NW, get her a drysuit.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic- ... egret.html
thanks for the feedback and the link! that was helpful info! (seriously best thread I have read to date!) I was going to make about 4-6 mistakes that are clear I should not have

yes I know I will have to decide dry or wet eventually but for now just went with cheap wet and crossing my fingers it works out ok (they were so cheap!)

I will pause my plethora of pondering until I can unload on bob!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Well, one thing Bob sure likes to do is talk! Especially about diving! :blah: :rawlings: :neener:

Seriously, Bob is a wealth of information, and one of my favorite people to boot. You'll have a great and informative time tonight!

There are plenty of people on the board who are willing to loan out bits of gear for you to try. Gear is expensive! But the most expensive is not always the best. Definitely try as much as you can before you buy.

Hot water is good for warming up between dives. In the winter I will bring a 5 gallon cooler full of hot tap water to soak my hood in before donning it, and to pour over my head to warm up and rinse off after the dive. Also bring something warm to drink between dives - cocoa, tea, coffee, etc. Get the thickest hood, gloves, etc. that you can, and make sure they fit snugly. It may seem strange to bring a big, thick coat to wear between dives now that the sun is out but you will likely need it after the first dive.

Good luck and have fun!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Penopolypants wrote: Gear is expensive! But the most expensive is not always the best. Definitely try as much as you can before you buy.
read and heed. Thats so true. I've got a $180 pair of twin jet split fins (they were the most expensive so OBVIOUSLY the best) that I would love to get rid of and get a pair of $100 turtles. Oh and of course that expensive dry snorkle that never leaves my dive bag.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Turtles with spring straps...about 165.00
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

HOG has a Jet knockoff fin that seems pretty darn serviceable, and is a lot cheaper than that . . .

Tips for staying warm: The hot water before the dive is a good one, but make sure you have a big cooler full of it, so you have some to pour down the wetsuit and over your head AFTER the dive. If you're only doing one dive, make sure you get out of the wetsuit before breaking down gear, and have a heavy, warm coat and hat to get into. Yeah, I know, it's summer -- believe me, have the warm stuff with you. (I've heard one person uses a heavy bathrobe, which is fine as long as it's not cotton, which will hold water and get wet and nasty.) Don't waste time in the water -- have your dive plan and your gear checks done before you get in, so you can begin swimming out to the drop point right away. Idle time in the shallows is just lost thermal units :)

If you are doing two dives, take off as much of the wetsuit as you can manage between them. It only seems as though the neoprene ought to keep you warm, but it's wet, and it won't.

You've gotten some good ideas on gear that works well in the PNW, and I know Bob will have shown you more. If you show up for dives like the Monday Mukilteo Madness, there are a lot of us who have extra gear to lend, so you get a chance to try stuff before you buy. And there are ways to make gear more affordable, including buying used.

Welcome to Puget Sound diving! And if you guys need a companion or a guide, please feel free to PM me.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

thanks guys we are now all set for the "personal gear" next week I hope to get out and test out the new waters.

and thanks Bob for help last night
Kelly(boy)
_____
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Tips for diving a wetsuit:

Layer up. What kind of wetsuit did you get? A 2-piece is really what you want for the Puget Sound, and if you can get a hooded vest under it even better. Make sure the suit fits really, really well to minimize water exchange. The whole reason a wetsuit keeps you warm is because it traps a layer of water between yourself and the suit that is warmed by your body; if new water is entering, your body has to heat that up as well and the warm water will be lost somewhere else. When I dove wet I would wear a shorty underneath it all as well, with some snug boots (if they're even slightly large put a nice pair of wool socks underneath to keep the water there better) and a pair of 3-finger mitts (something I'd highly recommend). They have a pocket for your thumb, one for your forefinger, and one for your last 3 fingers. They are great if you get cold hands.

It's possible to be basically as warm in the water in a wetsuit (though it involves a great deal of neoprene), but it's the surface interval that matters. Like others have said, being wet on the surface will cause more rapid loss of body heat, so get as dry as possible. I always liked to have a big fluffy towel to wrap around myself to dry off before putting on some warm layers. A hat is also a good idea, even if it seems very silly in the summer! Or...just sit in the car that's been in the sun for an hour :P

Having a snugly fitting suit is going to be a pain to get into on the surface as well, especially once you start sweating. I used silicone spray or conditioner on the inside of the suit to help it slide on (and I know others who have used *ahem* personal lubricant), though I'm not sure what those things do to the life of the neoprene.

Lastly, have fun!! If you are having fun and seeing cool things, you are less likely to notice how cold you are. Or if you do notice, it'll be worth it. Diving in the PNW is great, enjoy it!!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

thanks for the info, we got a full body suit 1 piece I have a farmer jon style with dual layer 10mil on the chest and 7 elsewhere, the wifey we couldnt find one like that that fit her so just went for a 7mil 1 piece suit.

originally we were going boating today and not scuba with the weather we canned boating at about 10 am too bad we down own gear yet fine day for scuba!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Actually it wasn't a good day for scuba either ... vis was about 5 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

that makes me feel better. not to thread jack my own thread but fun story... the boating was canceled because the boat I was driving was hit by another boater when he decided to do a "prop wash" needless to say his insurance now has that boat in the shop! man that was a mess
Kelly(boy)
_____