Lost Camera

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Lost Camera

Post by sandman98007 »

Hey all,

Went diving with Deep Sea Charters in Anacortes this past Sunday. Has a great first dive on PeePot rocks. We then went to James island and then *#&* hit the fan. Jumping in I hit the water and turned to get my camera ... Just then I noticed my left glove was flooding. I reach for the camera, raised my flooded glove at the same time, and lost the grip on my camera. I tried to dive and catch the camera, flooded glove be damned, but it was too far down to reach. The current was about 1 knot in about 50' of water, so we went to find it. This area of the island was a 50-degree slope with boulders and kelp. We searched, but no luck. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I am asking that is anyone finds this rig ... I will gladly discuss a reward for its return. The rig is sealed tight and the power was off, so in theory, it should be fine.

The camera is a Nikon D90, Ikelite housing, Big Blue 3x5 focus light (black), Dual kelite D120 strobes.

I thought insurance would cover this, but after talking to them, they stated that I did not have the policy set up correctly. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

If you find it, please let me know.

Thank you

Tim e.g cpt.bungee
It's ALL good in the world today ......
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Re: Lost Camera

Post by SeattleYates »

That sucks! I know it doesn't help, but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was on a liveaboard dive trip and no sooner hit the water on a dive and had my camera handed to me than the o-ring in my tank blew, and as I contorted around to turn off the air, the camera slipped out of my hands (hadn't had time to attach the lanyard!) - in 200 ft with strong currents. The crew jumped in and searched and searched, but no luck. It's amazing how fast things can happen - in just a split second!

I hope someone finds it and is honest enough to return it to you!
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

Thanks for the kind words .... it does suck the big one .... worst off is the insurance company giving me the run around ... and i have been with them for 26 years ....
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well we have divers on the board who live in the san juan islands, whidbey is etc... So it should be easy to put a dive team together with some peeps to do a search and rescue ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

On another thread I offered to help search for the other lost camera of the trip. When can you get a dive day to go look? Launching my boat from Anacortes we could be at James Island in half an hour easy. Room for 4 divers on the boat. Let me know if I can help.

Steve
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

Thank you for the offer ... Saturday could work for me .... here is my number 253-777-5125 .... I think I would be the only one going ... but if anyone else wants to come along ....

Thank you very much
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Saturday will work for me. I'll call tomorrow and we can work out the details. It would be best to have 4 divers so we can put more eyes on the bottom. I dive a rebreather, I'll ask a friend or two with rebreathers. I can dive a little deeper/longer if I have a rebreather buddy.
Last edited by 4ster on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfann
Avid Diver

Post by bfann »

Steve, if you don't fill up your boat with rebreather divers, I'd be happy to drive up and help with the search (on open circuit). My wife's out of town this weekend, so I'll take any excuse to dive.

-Brian
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Brian,

There is space on the boat. We are meeting at the Washington Park ramp Saturday at 9:00am. PM me if you have any questions.

Steve
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Any luck with the search???
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

good luck actually ...see post " lost camera found"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Link to Lost Camera Found thread.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey