first cold water dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

first cold water dive

Post by spudgunman »

well for my 11th dive I finally logged one at home! First off thanks to Bob(Greatfull diver) for being my buddy!

DUDE! this water is amazing, I just told my wife the best part of tropical dive is that you have nothing but a BC and tank on all natural. the best part of PNW dive is that you cant ever see every little critter and you actually get to do something other then just swim around like a crazy fish upside down (well thats what I do)

so when I got in the water, it was with beg, borrowed, and all new (to me) gear! talk about crazy all at once! that combined with new water low viz...yikes

One thing I had never dove with was a wetsuit yikes! I was a underwater Yo-YO my ear still is killing me! I must say that I felt worse then my first dive, couldn't look at anything really, other then trying to figure out why I had lost all my ability of buoyancy control after thinking back to my class days of oh yea air expands and I just put on a bubbled suit! I was going nuts bouncing all over. that combined with also forgetting that suits compress so my weight belt flung all over I thought that I was getting snagged on things due to the weight shifting.

one thing I did get time to look at was a HUGE starfish! I have never seen starfish anywhere that were larger then a foot or so across, I never knew these critters existed. I will never make fun of my friends wife again for getting "Caught up with a starfish"

going back out tuesday and cant wait! :)

need to go rent some more gear and use a full tank (or two) with no swimming just buoyancy control
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: first cold water dive

Post by Penopolypants »

It will get better with practice! You'll just have to go diving more - heaven forbid! :)

Yay starfish!! :joshsmith:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Congrats!! We do get some big ol' starfish around here... Cinch up that weight belt and keep on practicing, it'll get easier with each dive... Have fun!!! =D>
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You have the best possible mentor. And it DOES get better!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Having just got certified end of June, and having arrived home with my forty-second logged dive under my belt, it sounds like your reaction was much the same as mine: OMG WAAAAY COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up and be sure to holler if you're in my neck of the woods!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!!!!"

You are discovering that cold-water diving RAWKS!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Kelly, you did great for someone who'd never had on a thick wetsuit before, and was diving in all new-to-you equipment.

Tuesday will be even better ...

... (and Bob cultivates another dive buddy) ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well first let me say WELCOME to the cold water addiction diving community. :joshsmith: I still remember the bouncies :boucegreen: and they will get better with time and practice. The one thing I do remember that helped alot was having someone who was willing to dive with me just about every week. Once you get more experience make sure you continue your learning and get your advanced open water. There are alot more fun things to see like WOLF EELS and OCTO's, and IF you get the PHOTOGRAPHY bug there are so many MACRO things to see as well. There is a group of Thursday divers who dive the south sound from about Burien south. I would be glad to dive with you, I am at about 136 dives and counting.
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well first let me say WELCOME to the cold water addiction diving community. :joshsmith: I still remember the bouncies :boucegreen: and they will get better with time and practice. The one thing I do remember that helped alot was having someone who was willing to dive with me just about every week. Once you get more experience make sure you continue your learning and get your advanced open water. There are alot more fun things to see like WOLF EELS and OCTO's, and IF you get the PHOTOGRAPHY bug there are so many MACRO things to see as well. There is a group of Thursday divers who dive the south sound from about Burien south. I would be glad to dive with you, I am at about 136 dives and counting.
I remember when you used to dive once a week....... :penelope:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

cardiver wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:Well first let me say WELCOME to the cold water addiction diving community. :joshsmith: I still remember the bouncies :boucegreen: and they will get better with time and practice. The one thing I do remember that helped alot was having someone who was willing to dive with me just about every week. Once you get more experience make sure you continue your learning and get your advanced open water. There are alot more fun things to see like WOLF EELS and OCTO's, and IF you get the PHOTOGRAPHY bug there are so many MACRO things to see as well. There is a group of Thursday divers who dive the south sound from about Burien south. I would be glad to dive with you, I am at about 136 dives and counting.
Hey I was at Sund Rock yesterday and the curse has been lifted. I had 2 great dives so where were you? :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

pogiguy05 wrote:
cardiver wrote:
Hey I was at Sund Rock yesterday and the curse has been lifted. I had 2 great dives so where were you? :popcorn:
No drysuit. I did dive 1 1/8 times last week......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

thanks guys:)

now I just am planning on how to get out on the water again!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

went out again today to work on B.C. haha I counted the weights I had the other day as 1lb and not 2lb I was 14 lb's too heavy on this first dive no wonder it was so terrible!

got weighted today correctly and I am getting my fish fins back! sadly however my ear is still blown from the other dive but the guys at lighthouse dive hooked me up with a earplug (post dive) so we might go out sunday cove 2 again and see how that works out as well as getting the wife back in the water (BTW she LOVED the water!)
Kelly(boy)
_____
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

spudgunman wrote:went out again today to work on B.C. haha I counted the weights I had the other day as 1lb and not 2lb I was 14 lb's too heavy on this first dive no wonder it was so terrible!...
Yep, 14lbs heavy will definitely give you the bouncies! Weighted properly, you'll find buoyancy WAY easier and really be able to enjoy yourself a LOT more (and see lots more)! :supz:
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields