The Oscar race is over.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

The Oscar race is over.

Post by Joshua Smith »

To call "Machete", the latest offering from Robert Rodriguez, a cinematic masterpiece would be to damn it with faint praise. Phrases such as "move over Coppola!" and "Greatest Movie of this, or any other, time" are not misplaced. If you see only one revenge-fueled, campy, over-the-top Mexican gore-fest this year, let it be this one!

Seriously, it's freaking great. And everything you hoped it might be.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: The Oscar race is over.

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:To call "Machete", the latest offering from Robert Rodriguez, a cinematic masterpiece would be to damn it with faint praise. Phrases such as "move over Coppola!" and "Greatest Movie of this, or any other, time" are not misplaced. If you see only one revenge-fueled, campy, over-the-top Mexican gore-fest this year, let it be this one!

What's the word I'm looking for here... oh yeah... hyperbole.

Now... I'm as big a RR fan as the next guy... I HEART From Dusk till down, Sin City and all things Desperado/El Mariachi related (I loved Once Upon a Time in Mexico because CIA t-shirt = hilarity) But lets be real as much as I enjoy it, Once Upon a TIme is a mediocre movie.

The litmus test... is this movie good enough for my wife to like it? She'll watch action and rounds fired if it is wrapped up in a decent flick.

I'd hate to drive an hour to the movie theatre for it to suck for her.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:To call "Machete", the latest offering from Robert Rodriguez, a cinematic masterpiece would be to damn it with faint praise. Phrases such as "move over Coppola!" and "Greatest Movie of this, or any other, time" are not misplaced. If you see only one revenge-fueled, campy, over-the-top Mexican gore-fest this year, let it be this one!

What's the word I'm looking for here... oh yeah... hyperbole.

Now... I'm as big a RR fan as the next guy... I HEART From Dusk till down, Sin City and all things Desperado/El Mariachi related (I loved Once Upon a Time in Mexico because CIA t-shirt = hilarity) But lets be real as much as I enjoy it, Once Upon a TIme is a mediocre movie.

The litmus test... is this movie good enough for my wife to like it? She'll watch action and rounds fired if it is wrapped up in a decent flick.

I'd hate to drive an hour to the movie theatre for it to suck for her.

-Eric

My wife laughed her ass off. I guess we should define "decent movie" though- this is, pure and simple- a comedy. It's SO FAR over the top, that you really lose track of where, or even what, the top is. It helps if you've spent any time at all in a border state, too. If the idea of rappeling out of a tall building using the guy you just gutted's intestines, or jumping out of a fireball on a chopper with a gattling gun mounted to the handlebars, mowing down bad guys, appeals to you on any level, then, yes, by all means, drive an hour to see it. (Also, if you want to see Jessica Alba taking a shower.....)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Blood and gore just ain't my thing. now Jessica Alba??? That's a total different subject!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:
My wife laughed her ass off. I guess we should define "decent movie" though- this is, pure and simple- a comedy. It's SO FAR over the top, that you really lose track of where, or even what, the top is. It helps if you've spent any time at all in a border state, too. If the idea of rappeling out of a tall building using the guy you just gutted's intestines, or jumping out of a fireball on a chopper with a gattling gun mounted to the handlebars, mowing down bad guys, appeals to you on any level, then, yes, by all means, drive an hour to see it. (Also, if you want to see Jessica Alba taking a shower.....)
Understood.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog