My opinion on Mares Prestige bc and northern diver harness

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

My opinion on Mares Prestige bc and northern diver harness

Post by Sabre_Rider »

I recently purchased a Mares Prestige bc without the integrated weights, and a northern diver weight and trim harness. I am very happy with both. Only one dive so far, but it was much more pleasurable than what I had before. Everyone has their preferances, dislikes and likes, this is just my opinions on these. I've been diving for over 25 years and have tried a few different types of gear over the years.

The bc seems to be very well constructed, has lots of lift, 53 lbs. and is very comfortable. The pockets are large and easy to use. I keep a safety sausage in one, and a reel in the other. I dive a drysuit and use a weight harness so weight integration was something I didn't want. I did add a crotch strap as I am thin and bc's have a tendancy to climb up on me, so did that before the first dive. I did take off the inflator and replaced it with a scubapro air II, the inflator it came with is ok, but a bit on the cheap side in my opinion. With the high lift and being a jacket style, I found it floated me very high in the water and did not tip me forward as my back inflated aqualung malibu did before. In choppy waters, my face stays out of the water, which makes me a happy camper. Very happy with the purchase so far.

The Northern Diver weight and trim is very nice also. It is very comfortable and easy to put on. I was looking at adding pockets to my drysuit, and at $25 or so a piece, I figured the $89 for the whole system was a pretty good deal. I like the buckles on the shoulder straps, the cumberband and belt make it comfortable and it stays put. They say each pocket will hold 19 lbs, you might be able to stuff that much in one, but it would be a max that is for sure. I am using 13 lbs in each, with another 3 lbs in each of the non ditchable trim pockets on the back. One caution, the velcro on the weight pockets, I recommend getting rid of it. When it came time to get back into the boat, I remove my weights, toss them in the boat, then remove my bc and tank. Even with help, we almost couldn't get the weight pockets out. I immeadiately cut off the velcro and it works fine. The pockets work well, stay on the side of your thighs and disconnect. I put a spare mask in one, and my camera in the other, I didn't even know they were there on the dive. Very happy with the purchases.
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
sitkadiver
Submariner

Re: My opinion on Mares Prestige bc and northern diver harne

Post by sitkadiver »

Thanks for that post. Since I don't like the newer genertaions of the DUI weight and trim system, I've been looknig at Northern Diver as a replacement. I tihnk your review just closed to deal.

Cheers.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Any US distributors?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

I got the northern diver harness off ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Weight-Trim-scu ... dZViewItem

for $89.99, he shipped quick, had it in a few days. I like it, it's made well, only things were the velcro, but the dive knife made quick order of that, and I got the small/medium size. I am 6'2" and about 175lbs, I wouldn't want it any larger. Hope that helps
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Maybe this helps, do a search on ebay for "diving harness", the sellers name is "northern.diver"