my first night dive!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

my first night dive!

Post by spudgunman »

went out with the TWEEK group this evening, fine bunch of folk!

after some orientation and instruction to the team diving concept we went down I had my new Dorcy light on me and was very pleased with the performance, however when diving in large groups with others with fancy can lights I was informed that I look like a tiny blip on the radar, but that is ok for now the important thing was I could see awesome :)

I am addicted to a new type of diving.. night diving... dont know why but it was super super rad, sort of fun not seeing anything but what is right there in your light.

FINALLY SAW A GPO and it was huge, cove2 in the rock pile that was one large beast. then something I thought was twice as cool we saw 2 tiny octco about the size of your fist, I personally thought this was even more amazing then the giant one, as you could get real close to them and check em out and they didnt get scared right away.

if I only had a camera...

otherwise saw some huge shrimp I never saw before and could touch them ratfish.

did I mention I love this sport? BECAUSE I DO! I also lasted better on my air then expected and have no headache which I have been working hard to find that happy safe beating pace

SI is right now 2:34 and I need to get back in the water!!!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: my first night dive!

Post by H20doctor »

Nice ... I love a good night dive ... Don't worry about the Light Crack , you'll get on of those big lights soon , its a bad scuba problem diving with Peeps who have great Gear.. Light envy
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Sweet - night diving is a whole new twist on the fun, isn't it? I love just having that one small pool of light to look at - the colorful critters jump right out at you and there are no outside distractions in your peripheral vision. If you didn't try it this time, remember to take a few minutes to turn off all your lighting and wave your hands/fins around next time - bioluminescence will blow your mind :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Congrats Spud! Night diving is fun, but yeah, my little bic-lighter versus some of these guys' sunlamps.... And I understand your camera-want feeling very well!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Congratulations! I love night diving. You should see if you can get someone to go do Redondo at night with you -- I think it may be the best night dive around here.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

@LCF will do, when you free :)
@whatevah yes being a new group of people, and my first night dive and having one light I didnt wanna risk any failure my first time out! but it will be the next thing I do at night!

yes the equipment envy is a bitch ohh look at that nice light it lights up better then the sun, ohh look at that huge way cool camera, wow that really is a nice computer it glows so bright....WAIT YOU HAVE A ELECTRIC HEATER IN YOUR SUIT! I call foul on that one.. that is cheating.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

spudgunman, what does your week of the 20th look like? Maybe we can get my friend NW Grateful Diver and my dear dive buddy Kirk to join us . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

LOL!

Actually to see biolum, just point your light behind you, cover it with your hand, or point it towards your body.... ;) then you don't have to worry about turning it back on, or your buddy getting annoyed cause you suddenly 'vanish'... (learned this in the days of the HID's that were not hot strikeable, as in you needed to give them a bit before you tried to fire them back up)

oh ya... and if you are wearing a UEMIS, you'll have to cover that up too, or hold it behind you as well ;)
spudgunman wrote:@LCF will do, when you free :)
@whatevah yes being a new group of people, and my first night dive and having one light I didnt wanna risk any failure my first time out! but it will be the next thing I do at night!

yes the equipment envy is a bitch ohh look at that nice light it lights up better then the sun, ohh look at that huge way cool camera, wow that really is a nice computer it glows so bright....WAIT YOU HAVE A ELECTRIC HEATER IN YOUR SUIT! I call foul on that one.. that is cheating.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:spudgunman, what does your week of the 20th look like? Maybe we can get my friend NW Grateful Diver and my dear dive buddy Kirk to join us . . .
Pssst... my week of the 20th looks ok too (hint hint). :partydance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Ah yes, Equipment envy! I remember it well.... What am I saying.... I still need that neat gizmo that he has... and oh yeh that cool hd video cam and.... and... LOL It never ends. You have an addiction now that will consume your money as fast or faster than you can make it. :neener:

You are very new and just getting into this awesome sport. Curb your enthusiasm a bit. Step back and take a breath. Now before you buy that next piece of eye candy ask yourself do you really need it and can you afford it without breaking the bank. The really good thing is your on NWDC and can get all kinds of good info anytime you need it. Can lights are awesome but you can buy a dry suit or a very nice computer or several other nice things for what most of them cost and there are far cheaper options. Not as pretty or "in" like the cans but very serviceable.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

oh yea I was just making fun of it, I am very happy with what I have now my only "NEED" is a cylinder at the moment

@Sounder sounds good! (figuring plans now as I fly around that week a bit)
Kelly(boy)
_____
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Doug, you don't have evenings off these days, do you?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Doug, you don't have evenings off these days, do you?
I do. :taco:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Plus, with a tiny bit of pre-planning, the members here (well, speaking for myself at least) are quite generous with regards to bringing those higher end toys for you to use, so you can try a lot of stuff before you buy :)
Dusty2 wrote:Ah yes, Equipment envy! I remember it well.... What am I saying.... I still need that neat gizmo that he has... and oh yeh that cool hd video cam and.... and... LOL It never ends. You have an addiction now that will consume your money as fast or faster than you can make it. :neener:

You are very new and just getting into this awesome sport. Curb your enthusiasm a bit. Step back and take a breath. Now before you buy that next piece of eye candy ask yourself do you really need it and can you afford it without breaking the bank. The really good thing is your on NWDC and can get all kinds of good info anytime you need it. Can lights are awesome but you can buy a dry suit or a very nice computer or several other nice things for what most of them cost and there are far cheaper options. Not as pretty or "in" like the cans but very serviceable.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

ignorance is bliss (and cheaper).. .haha
Kelly(boy)
_____
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Congrats! Love your enthusiasm. I've been out of the water for two weeks, can't wait for Saturday, and posts like yours help, AND hurt!

Love night diving... but have only done it in warm water! Driving up to the Sound and diving during the day usually leaves most of the group spent or distracted by evening. Gotta work on that. =-) I found the additional focus of not being able to see anything but in your light beam to be not worrisome but just... super rad, as you say!
fancy can lights I was informed that I look like a tiny blip on the radar, but that is ok for now the important thing was I could see awesome :)
Um... yeah. Watch out. Your lust for toys might outstrip your means. I made the mistake of asking what a good light was -- and got lots of great suggestions for $500 can lights. Which I looked at. And fell in love with. And now want. But I'll probably make an intermediate step up to something like the Big Blue 10 Watt H.I.D. Light for around $200. It's like six times as bright as my dinky Intova torch. =-)
FINALLY SAW A GPO and it was huge, cove2 in the rock pile that was one large beast. then something I thought was twice as cool we saw 2 tiny octco about the size of your fist, I personally thought this was even more amazing then the giant one, as you could get real close to them and check em out and they didnt get scared right away.
They didn't get scared away, or YOU didn't get scared away!? :-) I'd have no trouble getting close to a fist size octo, but the big guys... they kinda scare me, I admit!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

They didn't get scared away, or YOU didn't get scared away!? :-) I'd have no trouble getting close to a fist size octo, but the big guys... they kinda scare me, I admit!
not immediately, I am no biologist so I have no idea on the behavior of them but I heard it might have a nest near, it just moved around slow to its hole in the rock and sat there, there was about 10 of us so it makes sense he just didnt want to mess around!

as for me.. I am a part of the dont poke something bigger then you club. if it looks like it can kick my ass I stay away... what is it too ugly or too pretty stay away? I add also if its huge! haha

I told my wife when we started this, if I get eaten by a sea creature.. that is a bad ass way to die. I imagine just being swallowed rather then slowly chomped by a octo beak haha.
Kelly(boy)
_____
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

Sounder wrote:
LCF wrote:spudgunman, what does your week of the 20th look like? Maybe we can get my friend NW Grateful Diver and my dear dive buddy Kirk to join us . . .
Pssst... my week of the 20th looks ok too (hint hint). :partydance:
Gee wiz....just happened to look at my calendar, and the week of the 20th doesn't look too bad either. Just sayin', ya know, if there's room for one more.... I'm pretty small, after all....

Lauri
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I see an impromptu club dive happening here ... pick an evening, Lynne, and I'll make sure I don't schedule a class that day.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

I 2nd that Idea! the week after since the club bbq thing is that same week and I am busy with work ;)
Kelly(boy)
_____
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

After a quick exchange of PMs with spudgunman, it's looking very 21st-ish :)
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

Hey spudgunman, If you want to upgrade your light Underwater Sports - Seattle has the AuqaSun eLED lamp on sale for $279 which is a great price for the lamp and it's insanely bright and the top of the line lamp in my opinion!
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

thanks for the 411! My next 300 bucks is going to a cylinder as that will finish out my need to rent any gear then I can be totally portable for spur of the moment dive planning!

but after that ... then light or then dry suit.. then AOW then.. then.. then

haha, but important things like 100% owned gear first so I can dive more!
Kelly(boy)
_____
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

I know what you mean man. I finally broke down and bought myself a full rig at the divers fair back at the end of July... needless to say, I'm BROKE! Haha. But if you're looking for someone to dive with I am definitely trying to dive more here in the greater Seattle area. Let me know if you ever want to get out and do some diving.... Oh and when you are able, get a dry suit ... you'll definitely love it!

I think UWS still has their AL 80cu tanks on sale too for pretty cheap. I love that place and the guys and gals that work there are great.
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Another aspect of night diving that I enjoy (in addition to all the previous posts) is the increased chance to encounter critters that may be much less visible during the day--or if not different critters, possibly different behaviors.

One of the things I like best about our short winter days is that it makes getting in a night dive much easier than during the middle of the summer (splash can occur much earlier in the evening).

Parking can be easier to find after dark at some of the more popular dive sites.

And, just like Whatevah said: lights out + movement can be quite a treat as the water lights up around you.