Keystone - Saturday - January 20th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Keystone - Saturday - January 20th

Post by John Rawlings »

I caught the 10:00 AM ferry at Mukilteo Saturday and headed over to Whidbey Island for a dive at Keystone to meet Valerie (Zen Diver) and her friend Maren. I hadn't been at Keystone in a while so it felt good to traipse back to one of my old haunts.

All of you know that Valerie is one of my favorite dive buddies, so no matter what the conditions of the water were I knew that it would be a fun dive! I had not met Maren before, but she proved to be both a delightful person as well as a good diver.

I was the first to arrive and there were two divers just getting out of the water, (Jim and John from Anacortes). They told me that visibility was extraordinarily poor - only a couple of feet at best - but they had had a good dive anyway. Jim was shooting a Nikon D-200 in an Ikelite housing, so we compared photography notes for a while before I walked back over to my truck. When I pulled my KISS rebreather out of the cab they practically flew over to chat CCR talk! I just love talking to fellow divers on cold windswept beaches.....it's what makes life interesting!

After Val and Maren arrived we suited up and entered the water just preceding slack. Visibility had improved and was better than Jim and John had experienced on their dive.....but NOT by much....I'd say around 8 - 10 feet at best. Still, the three of us had a blast poking our noses into all the myriad nooks and crannies that abound on the Keystone breakwater, spotting all manner of tiny critters scurrying here and there.

Near the end of the breakwater the current picked up quite a bit. I was testing some new fins that a manufacturer had sent me and when I entered the current I quickly found that the new fins were NOT adequate for swimming against a current....I missed my good ol' Jet Fins something fierce at that point!

While at our safety stop, both Valerie and I spotted a tiny creature protruding out of the bottom that neither of us had seen before. It was pure white and the part that was above the sand was about the size of a "pinky" or small fingernail. To me it resembled a starburst - round with 5 or six points originating in the center. Some of the points were definitely longer than others. It may even be the skeletal remains of a living creature. Valerie took at least one photo of it, so maybe she'll post it and someone will let us know what it was that we saw, (Janna? ;) )

Anyway.....the sky was blue.....the wind was crisp.....the snow-capped Olympic Mountains were our vista in the distance....critters were everywhere underwater.....it was a perfect day! I had to head back toward the ferry after one dive because I had another commitment, but the one dive that I had was really enjoyable.

Thanks, Valerie and Maren for a great dive and great friendship!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Thanks for the report John, and glad to see your back in the water again. I am certainly no expert on fins, but I LOVE my jets. :supz:
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

It was indeed a terrific day. On our second dive Maren and I headed over to the pilings to explore and shoot (photos, of course), Maren trying out her new camera. We poked and puttered, and when current picked up we decided to ride it back to the jetty. It petered out about half way, was still enough to assist us back but not to resist us as we turned to snap photos of the myriad alabaster nudis we spotted on the sandy flats. Once we hit the jetty the current turned and promptly carried us right to shore; we didn't even have to kick! It was very relaxing.

And John, check out page 87, CN 22/23 :book: of Andy Lamb's Big Book and see if you think that's what we saw. It looks similar but not quite exactly right. I have to download photos tonight and I'll post when they're available. The books describes them as white crowned burrowing anemones from a species of Edwardsia.

Oh, and I also saw an umbrella crab (I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen those).

Great Day. :smt038

-Valerie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:John, check out page 87, CN 22/23 :book: of Andy Lamb's Big Book and see if you think that's what we saw. It looks similar but not quite exactly right. I have to download photos tonight and I'll post when they're available. The books describes them as white crowned burrowing anemones from a species of Edwardsia.

-Valerie
No.....at least that isn't what I was looking at. The animal I saw almost looked calcified - white and hard.

I wonder if the two of us saw something entirely different from what the other was looking at?

The mystery deepens......

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Lowell and I saw a ton of the ten-tentacled burrowing anemones in the same spot that you were describing when we dove the Jetty. They are the ones right above the one that you mentioned, Valerie.

Get those pictures posted...
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i liked keystone, it was something new for me. at first i didn't think the port townsend ferry ran on the other side of that rock wall, now, i now that! nice area as well.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did y'all perchance see any Puget Sound king crab? Last time I dived Keystone I found two tiny ones ... one about the size of a dime and the other about the size of a quarter. I'm very much hoping that they're making a comeback to that site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:Did y'all perchance see any Puget Sound king crab? Last time I dived Keystone I found two tiny ones ... one about the size of a dime and the other about the size of a quarter. I'm very much hoping that they're making a comeback to that site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nope, Bob, I'm afraid that I didn't....and I was LOOKING, too! Vis was pretty bad, though....the bright orange of a juvenile PSKC that would normally attract my eye may have been just out of my vision.

Valerie....how about you?

The trouble with PSKC making a "comeback" there is that sites such as Keystone are not their normal habitat. The adults of that species require steep, rocky terrain, almost underwater cliffs, and deep water. They spend most of the year in deep water and come up into the shallows only to molt, breed and spawn, (that's why you only see the adults during certain months of the year up in the San Juans - they spend the rest of the year down below recreational dive limits). Keystone has only one of these factors - rocks - otherwise it is surrounded by fairly shallow sand that is decidedly NOT Puget Sound King Crab habitat. I suspect that the tiny juveniles you saw were the result of floating larvae winding up there by chance.....it would be a wonder if they would be able to survive and flourish there.

Still, it WOULD be cool, wouldn't it?!

By the way, right now is the best time of year to find Puget Sound King Crabs up in the San Juans. The adults have come up to "mingle and mate"!

- John

jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

crab wise, all i seen was just spider crabs. no pskc.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Zen Diver 2 wrote: And John, check out page 87, CN 22/23 :book: of Andy Lamb's Big Book and see if you think that's what we saw. It looks similar but not quite exactly right. I have to download photos tonight and I'll post when they're available. The books describes them as white crowned burrowing anemones from a species of Edwardsia. -Valerie
I wonder if you saw this critter, I still don't know what it is.. And no sight of the PSKC since we saw the juvenile last year..

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

YES!!! That's it Jan! Thanks for posting; I've not gotten my photos downloaded yet and that is exactly the critter. Never seen it before and I've no idea what it is.

Thank you for posting this! :prayer:

-Valerie