The Hood Canal Situation

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

The Hood Canal Situation

Post by dwashbur »

So here's what I don't get. This is an honest question, not an attempt to start a conflict. This low oxygen situation is a recurring problem, and a big part of the reason is that big rock blockage at the mouth of the canal. Why doesn't the state or somebody else go out there with an underwater demolition team and get it out of the way, thus improving water exchange and improving conditions for the life in the canal?

Again, this is something that genuinely puzzles me.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: The Hood Canal Situation

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

dwashbur wrote:So here's what I don't get. This is an honest question, not an attempt to start a conflict. This low oxygen situation is a recurring problem, and a big part of the reason is that big rock blockage at the mouth of the canal. Why doesn't the state or somebody else go out there with an underwater demolition team and get it out of the way, thus improving water exchange and improving conditions for the life in the canal?

They tried to get a permit but after an extensive study of the affected area it was dicovered that a family of Krill, 14 mussles, and a squat lobster had made the rock blockage their home. Originally the idea was put forward to relocate the affected critters to a similar spot 3 miles a few miles away but of course this required another study on the ecological impact the critters would have on this proposed location. Meanwhile, the company that had been hired to create the carbon offsets for this project filed for bancruptcy and changed its name. Despite raising the tax on automatic umbrellas the project was unable to remain funded due to the 17% anual pay raise for the 26 state and federal bureaucrats involved in this endeavor.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
dwashbur wrote:So here's what I don't get. This is an honest question, not an attempt to start a conflict. This low oxygen situation is a recurring problem, and a big part of the reason is that big rock blockage at the mouth of the canal. Why doesn't the state or somebody else go out there with an underwater demolition team and get it out of the way, thus improving water exchange and improving conditions for the life in the canal?

They tried to get a permit but after an extensive study of the affected area it was dicovered that a family of Krill, 14 mussles, and a squat lobster had made the rock blockage their home. Originally the idea was put forward to relocate the affected critters to a similar spot 3 miles a few miles away but of course this required another study on the ecological impact the critters would have on this proposed location. Meanwhile, the company that had been hired to create the carbon offsets for this project filed for bancruptcy and changed its name. Despite raising the tax on automatic umbrellas the project was unable to remain funded due to the 17% anual pay raise for the 26 state and federal bureaucrats involved in this endeavor.
Well, at least it's not something complicated............
Dave

--
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

It would take a glacier to move enough material and carve the channel deeper.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

+1 for the glacier.

Human efforts to "improve" the environment haven't worked out so well, historically.

Maybe try to get the nitrogen levels down, first.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
seaphilia
Avid Diver

Post by seaphilia »

In the late 1950's the Canadians blew up Ripple Rock near Campbell River because too many boats were crashing on it. Saw a video once at Abyssal. Pretty amazing. Lots of explosives.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

seaphilia wrote:In the late 1950's the Canadians blew up Ripple Rock near Campbell River because too many boats were crashing on it. Saw a video once at Abyssal. Pretty amazing. Lots of explosives.
Still supposedly the largest non-nuclear explosion ever. And it wasn't that big a rock despite the massive tunneling efforts.

The Oregonians blowing up the dead whale was better though
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU[/youtube]
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

OMG. Flying whale chunks. LOVE it.
Kelly
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

nwbobber wrote: Human efforts to "improve" the environment haven't worked out so well, historically.
True, but I would suspect that something like this might be a bit different. Still, I don't know anybody with a glacier in their pocket, so I guess it ain't likely to happen.
Dave

--