One Friend, Two Friend, Old Friend, New Friend

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

So today I got up at the crack of dawn.. I don't even get up this early for work. Let that be my proof that you guys mean a lot to me. :grouphug:

I got to Redondo today and had nearly no trouble finding a parking spot, except for one stubborn diver whose name starts with M and ends with Crue, who wouldn't get out of my way! shoo fly! I was very excited to meet and greet both those folks whom I have met before, and those whom I hadn't. For my first dive of the day, I ended up going with Lavachickie (Amy) and Tammy, whose screen name escapes me. Lynn was going to go with us, but apparently one look in her car convinced her it would be a timeful tangle, and she got in on the next dive train. We went down to the carousel boat and swam around it for a bit. Dragons are totally my thing, so I have to approve of the stuffed dragon down there! It really made me laugh to see this guy tucked up in the dragon's wings, being all safe and stuff.
2010_0918cameranew0023 (Medium).JPG
I got to see brittle stars again, and got my first shots of them.
2010_0918cameranew0019 (Medium).JPG
One of the pieces of kelp had a pale patch. Guess we know what this little guy (gal) is doing. I feel like a peeping tom.
2010_0918cameranew0116 (Medium).JPG
At the ladder boat, I saw the timid little baby wolfeel whose pretty picture Bob just posted, but he wouldn't pose well for me; I only got an orange snout. We headed to the metal ladder near the Science Museum, and there was a good sized GPO tucked under here. I had some fun checking out a few gunnels, including one which my buddies startled into leaving cover. This might not be a classically good shot, but I was enchanted by the glowing eye.
2010_0918cameranew0065 (Medium).JPG
My second dive was with Michael (The_Geoduck) who is new to this website. He and I headed to the carousel boat, and I discovered my camera was having seizures or something, since it set itself to 1/2500 shutter speed, and wouldn't get off it! Ah, the joys of underwater cameras. As we came upslope, the buttons loosened up, and I was able to reset and take a couple of pictures. Then when putting the camera away, I noticed that the flash slave cord thingy had yanked loose, which meant several of the last photos did NOT have the strobe I thought they did. Sigh.
Decorator crab, but have the decorations TAKEN OVER HIS BODY??? dundun dun....
2010_0918cameranew0057 (Medium).JPG
I had brought three tanks, two 95s and a 120. I used my 95s with my first two dives, then decided I needed a good long dive to do justice to the biggest tank. So I stalked Bob (Grateful Diver) and asked whether he'd be interested in a dive. He said he was spoken for on the next dive, but he'd be willing to hit it again if I'd wait. HECK YEAH I'LL WAIT! I spent some time admiring P-pants' new puppy and chatting with Kelly, et al. It was good to relax and have some talk time. When Bob was ready, we hit the water again. Since Redondo is his home stomping grounds, I told him he was in the lead. We headed toward the carousel boat again, then headed northish up the slope. I saw a diswasher and a stove, both of which I hadn't seen before. Bob's keen eye found several octopi, but I'm not sure whether these are GPOs or reds.
Crab of broken dreams....
2010_0918cameranew0148 (Medium).JPG
While taking a slug photo, Bob scared the Horned Demon Fish out of cover.
2010_0918cameranew0155 (Medium).JPG
I saw this massive Tube Worm sticking out and swam over, praying that I could get a shot in. Pretty!
2010_0918cameranew0143 (Medium).JPG
Bob's photo of the same fish wins, but I submit that mine comes in a distant second!
2010_0918cameranew0123 (Medium).JPG
Octo!!
2010_0918cameranew0187 (Medium).JPG
And finally, this one made me shout out loud when I downloaded.... YES!!!
2010_0918cameranew0121 (Medium).JPG
I ended up taking over two hundred photos today, and it was certainly a chore to decide which were my half dozen or so to share.....

Thanks Everyone who showed up and helped make me have such a fun and enjoyable day!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: One Friend, Two Friend, Old Friend, New Friend

Post by ktb »

Blaiz,

One of these days, we need to dive together! But it was still great chatting with you. :)
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great octo shots, blaiz! and fun write up, too. keep 'em coming!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Sorry we were totally out of time sync today!

You are getting some good pictures with that little camera. But I really want to know what that horned fish thing is -- off to Lamb's book!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I really enjoyed meeting you yesterday, Blaiz! I love your enthusiasm, and look forward to diving with you someday.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

LCF wrote:Sorry we were totally out of time sync today!

You are getting some good pictures with that little camera. But I really want to know what that horned fish thing is -- off to Lamb's book!
Please let us know when you figure it out!!
Kelly
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....the underwater shots are nice.....BUT....where is the photo of Richard's rice krispie thong?!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

lizard0924 wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah.....the underwater shots are nice.....BUT....where is the photo of Richard's rice krispie thong?!
photo.JPG
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Your devil fish looks like a spearnose poacher but it's tough to tell. The three "horns" and the one on the tail are leaches. They seem to have a thing for poachers.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thanks, Dusty! I wondered if the things on the head were parasites, but when the tail looked the same, it threw me off.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

LCF wrote:Thanks, Dusty! I wondered if the things on the head were parasites, but when the tail looked the same, it threw me off.
I thought the tail part was interesting too... my first thought was parasite, then saw orange tail and thought, huh, maybeso... one of the pictures I have shows him actually having a real tail, so I decided they were parasites... in awesome configuration!
The student was ready.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

lizard0924 wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah.....the underwater shots are nice.....BUT....where is the photo of Richard's rice krispie thong?!
:rofl:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

CaptnJack wrote:
You know....at first glance, that really looks like someone else touching your, uh, sticker (and the dude definitely looks like he's having a good time). Just sayin'.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Tastiest thong I've ever eaten! Mmm...thong noms......
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Penopolypants wrote:Tastiest thong I've ever eaten! Mmm...thong noms......
a whole new meaning for edible underwear
The student was ready.

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

lizard0924 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
You know....at first glance, that really looks like someone else touching your, uh, sticker (and the dude definitely looks like he's having a good time). Just sayin'.
I'm having funny jokes run through my head but I'll leave this alone with a "aahh love at first site" :luv: :luv: oh and whoever the guy is in the picture, just make sure he buys you dinner first
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

THAT'S NOT MY HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's Richards hand on his... thong. I was just there for comic relief

yeesh!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
:angelblue:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:
Picture 1.png
ROTFL
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

spatman wrote:
Picture 1.png
+1

The student was ready.

lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I want to tell you all how very much I hate you, and how I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only you.... but by doing so I am further advertising my status as a "thong toucher."

Damnit.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

lundysd wrote:I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I want to tell you all how very much I hate you, and how I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only you.... but by doing so I am further advertising my status as a "thong toucher."

Damnit.
That's ok. You were a ton of fun and I love my trivia prize, so I'd love to tell you that you could "touch my thong" anytime, but that would NOT sound right. So . . . you know . . . it's all good.
Kelly
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

ktb wrote:
lundysd wrote:I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I want to tell you all how very much I hate you, and how I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only you.... but by doing so I am further advertising my status as a "thong toucher."

Damnit.
That's ok. You were a ton of fun and I love my trivia prize, so I'd love to tell you that you could "touch my thong" anytime, but that would NOT sound right. So . . . you know . . . it's all good.

I love my trivia prize, and that WAS my thong you were touching.... :luv:
The student was ready.

lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Damnit.
Would it help if I said I'm sorry? :rofl:
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com