Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:
seainggreen wrote:Dove "the office" on Thursday around 5pm. Vis was spectacular. Here's a quick grab-n-slap video replay of Thursday afternoon's dive... it ain't anything special, but it shows how good vis was that day. Oh, we also saw 5 huge GPOs along the way so there's some footage of some of them too.

This morning's dive at the cove featured several GPOs as well but I was sans camera. Visibility was equally as stellar and I could see the surface ripples from 60 ft down. Nice!

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Grab-n-slap." After seeing this I will never attempt video again. Really nice and yes, it looks like the vis was spectacular too.
You have mad editing skills (and some nice ink) Green.....
:notworthy:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Very nice.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

cardiver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
"Grab-n-slap." After seeing this I will never attempt video again. Really nice and yes, it looks like the vis was spectacular too.
You have mad editing skills (and some nice ink) Green.....
:notworthy:
I'm having a lot of fun cranking out little vignettes from diving. Having a great camera system helps as does being a Mac-o-phile, when I want to be lazy/quick I can crank out a 3 min tidbit from an hour dive in about 20 mins.

Editing skill... I don't know about my skill level but I try to emulate what I like to see and that seems to work a lot of the time. :)

Cardiver, my friend Erica will appreciate your compliment about the ink as she's worked on it over many years. It is a "story tattoo" that tells the story of milestones in my life, the next overly due installment of which is slated to be done in late October.

I'll keep posting dive vignettes but will move them over to individual dive reports so as to not hijack the vis thread. :)

Happy diving!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

seainggreen wrote:Dove "the office" on Thursday around 5pm. Vis was spectacular. Here's a quick grab-n-slap video replay of Thursday afternoon's dive... it ain't anything special, but it shows how good vis was that day. Oh, we also saw 5 huge GPOs along the way so there's some footage of some of them too.

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
I was listening to sweet disposition by the temper trap when i watched your video. Seemed liked the music fit in just perfect (audio no work on this computer)

I wanna do a "wait for traffic to stop" dive!!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Dashrynn wrote:
I was listening to sweet disposition by the temper trap when i watched your video. Seemed liked the music fit in just perfect (audio no work on this computer)

I'll have to check out the song you mentioned. The one I picked I wasn't super-keen on, but then again this little video was for fun. It drives me nuts when folks put the "wrong" music with footage and it happens all the stinkin' time.

Is there traffic on Whidbey? (am I remembering right, that is where you live?) ;)

But if you want to come into Seattle and wait for our traffic to stop by going diving, we dive at least one weeknight a week. Usually at C2, but we've also met up at Mukilteo or Edmonds too. C'mon down!

PS: vis over the weekend was a good 40 ft at C2. Hoping for similar on dives slated for this week/weekend!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

seainggreen wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:

Is there traffic on Whidbey? (am I remembering right, that is where you live?) ;)

*snicker* yep we get traffic... just last week some farmer's fence came down and the sheep snarled traffic for minutes...

and I can't give you any vis reports because I CAN'T FIND A BUDDY!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sund Rock Monday Sep 26th - a solid 50' viz, along with very depressing Critter stress due to low O2 levels.

Oh, and could we keep the comments to a minimum in this thread so we can get the Viz reports? I had to scroll through 7 posts to get to viz info. Don't want to be a thread nazi, but it would be nice to limit those multiple comments and responses to a specific trip report in another thread.

This thread can be a pretty valuable record of PNW viz.... IF we use it. Thanks!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Radio
Avid Diver

Post by Radio »

Alki Pipeline Thurs at 3PM was 25-30 ft viz.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Three Tree North this afternoon was somewhere between 30 and 40 feet, absolutely fabulous.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Deception Pass, Thursday 30th - silty - 10 to 12 feet, still great dive
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 tonight . . . viz as far as the lights would go. It was fabulous, until the herring or mackerel or salmon or whatever they were that were hunting in the silt made a mess of it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Ditto for Sunrise. AT least 50 fsw of viz tonight.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Seems like no C2 til I exit the navy . I fear my diving has had a turn for the worst, I dive now once or twice a week.

Traffic on Whidbey isn't bad at all unless, you are going over deception pass bridge during the summer weekends. I wouldn't mind doing a detour though for diving, especially if the diving is that beautiful!

On a side note...anyone notice this smiley??? :nutty:
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Post by dalcodiver »

Diamond Knot 9/29 70ft we could see the boat from the superstructure , Neah Bay 9/30-10/1 50-60ft at Waddah
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Post by dalcodiver »

Diamond Knot 9/29 70ft we could see the boat from the superstructure , Neah Bay 9/30-10/1 50-60ft at Waddah
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dashrynn wrote:Seems like no C2 til I exit the navy . I fear my diving has had a turn for the worst, I dive now once or twice a week.

Traffic on Whidbey isn't bad at all unless, you are going over deception pass bridge during the summer weekends. I wouldn't mind doing a detour though for diving, especially if the diving is that beautiful!

On a side note...anyone notice this smiley??? :nutty:
Why is this in the "Viz Reports Thread"?

Maybe because Dash is :nutty: ?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

Saltwater state park today - 25' Some snot, but the viz was pretty darned good!

Lauri
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Day Island Wall this afternoon, 30-40 feet. Terrific as usual, though I have concluded that any and all current predictions for this site are pure crap :angelblue:
Dave

--
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

dwashbur wrote: I have concluded that any and all current predictions for this site are pure crap :angelblue:
I agree I think it differs from Ebb or Flood.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Vis at Ewing Island today was great. 10-15fsw down to 40ft or so then, it opened up to 30+ft!!! Water was flat glass out and the sun was shining :supz:

-Mathue
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Three Tree N yesterday was up to 40' clear viz, and we could make out shapes of structure and other divers probably up to 60' away in spots.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Viz this week in Port Townsend was much improved. Most dives we had 20+ feet.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Fox Island West Wall yesterday was soup above 10 feet, about 15-20 feet below that, down to around 70fsw where it started getting steadily worse. But at the wall it was pretty nice.
Dave

--
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Looks like this thread got buried - a shame with all the good viz we've been having. That's what I get for not diving in three weeks....

Sund Rock on Sep 27th visibility was over 50' at times - unfortunately all the better to see the devastation of the low O2 events. Hopefully it's getting better...
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Three Tree North Monday Oct 18th - 50'.

Simply beautiful...

There is a bit of schmutz and coalescing algae in the water column. Here's hoping the viz holds up for awhile.