Nice Polaris RIB on Craig's List

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Nice Polaris RIB on Craig's List

Post by dsteding »

For those of you familiar with Richard's boat, this might be similar-although not aluminum and it looks like a bit less deck room.

Good deal:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/1974630631.html
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Nice Polaris RIB on Craig's List

Post by CaptnJack »

I think the advertised size is wrong. There's not enough deck space in front of the console to be the 16.5' model. I'm guessing its 14.5ft. Still a pretty good dive boat. More deadrise so a softer ride than mine. 50hp is probably good for 3 or 4 in a pinch. Boyd had a Polaris alot like this one and look what she grew up into!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks like what you are seeing is a front seat to the front of the console.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks like what you are seeing is a front seat/storage box to the front of the console.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:Looks like what you are seeing is a front seat to the front of the console.
Yes and its too close to the bow to be the 16.5ft model. I'm pretty sure its the "14.5ft" model as measured by the manufacturer. Which is good since as <16ft it saves annual excise tax.

compare with this pic:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Looks like what you are seeing is a front seat to the front of the console.
Yes and its too close to the bow to be the 16.5ft model. I'm pretty sure its the "14.5ft" model as measured by the manufacturer. Which is good since as <16ft it saves annual excise tax.

compare with this pic:
Polaris makes a great RIB IMHO. But I'm biased.

Seems like a good price for what it is. I think Guy at Polaris would be helpful if you had any problems/questions about one of their boats.

Steve
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I love my "Water Dog" and most people like diving off her. I did have some issues with the seat welds (mine's aluminum) and Guy paid for local repairs and when they had issues I brought it back up to Langley (30miles north of Bellingham) and the fixed it right all under warranty.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

CaptnJack wrote:

compare with this pic:
Wow! Pretty rig. Looks like an awesome dive boat
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Funny story. I pick up my spanking new Polaris at the factory and head south on I-5. On the way I stop in Mount Vernon to show my new boat to a friend. I pull outside her house and as I glance back at my new toy... something looks wrong. It dawns on me that when I crossed the border the boat had a windshield, but now it didn't. :eek:

I called Guy at Polaris and he immediately drove south from Canada and picked up the boat. The contractor that installed the windshield had cut it too small and installed it anyway without telling Polaris. They had a new one installed and fixed the damage caused by the old one blowing out ASAP. Guy then drove it back down and delivered the boat in person.

They back up their product.

Steve
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote: Wow! Pretty rig. Looks like an awesome dive boat
Sorry that's a stock pic from the manufacturer to show a 16.5ft model. The one advertised on CL is described as 16ft but seems like its actually a 14.5ft model. Some edgebody should go check it out tomorrow ;)
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

So maybe they're including the outboard in the advertised length. Nice boat if they're willing to negotiate on price.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote:I think the advertised size is wrong. There's not enough deck space in front of the console to be the 16.5' model. I'm guessing its 14.5ft. Still a pretty good dive boat. More deadrise so a softer ride than mine. 50hp is probably good for 3 or 4 in a pinch. Boyd had a Polaris alot like this one and look what she grew up into!

That actually is my old boat and it's definitely NOT a 16.5' boat. I think it was 4.5 m (~ 15 '). If someone is seriously considering buying it, send me a PM and I'll be happy to tell you the history of the boat (I bought it from another local charter boat captain). It is an ex-Canadian fisheries boat and makes a great dive boat.

The 50 will get 4 divers and gear up on plane, but it takes quite a while.... It is a very economical engine.
Whatevah wrote: Nice boat if they're willing to negotiate on price.
I'm sure he'll come down on the price as he bought it for less than he's asking.