Oregon Coast Aquarium Class, Saturday, Feb 10th, 2007

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Oregon Coast Aquarium Class, Saturday, Feb 10th, 2007

Post by nwscubamom »

I teach this class only a few times each year, and it's a really cool opportunity to actually dive in the exhibits at the Oregon Coast Aquarium! Yes, YOU can be the one waving back to aquarium visitors through the glass! Little kids will adore you! Everyone loves watching the divers.

The morning is spent learning about Pacific NW Fish and invertebrates, with the chance to do a 'dry dive' treasure hunt. (wander around and look for specific things in the exhibits). Then after lunch, it's time to hop into the exhibits!

The cost is $140 and there's only room for 6 divers in the class, although others are welcome to participate in the classroom sessions only, for a reduced price.

If you have questions, please post them here, because others might be wondering the same thing you are!

More info on my website:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/classes/oregoncoastaquarium.htm

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Wilky
Just Settling In

Post by Wilky »

Janna,

The web site indicates the training is for intermediate divers. What does this mean. My son & myself may be interested, but I only have 15 dives and he has 25.

Thanks.

Bryan
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Bryan, are yours and your son's dives fairly recent cold water dives? If so, you'll be fine.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Wilky
Just Settling In

Post by Wilky »

They are all in Puget Sound.

Thanks.

Bryan
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Nice. You should be fine. The reason we ask for a bit of experience is that divers will need to have pretty good buoyancy so as to not disturb the fish, or the items in the exhibits. There are things like fake kelp (that you can accidentally pull out when your fins catch on it), an 'aquarium cam' with accompanying wires, and lots and lots of bottomfish that camp out all over the place, so you have to be VERY aware of your body and fins, and not land on top of a fish.

Between now and the class you might want to do some dives with practicing buoyancy in mind for that very reason.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

how much for the dry part of the class??
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I'm asking the aquarium now - as soon as I find out, I'll post!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Janna,

I really want to do this but I wont be able to make it to the Feb 10th class. 1st I just moved so I don't have the money, 2nd I just moved so I don't have the time as I am still unpacking, and 3rd As it is so far away from me I'll need a little more time to prepare the trip (that's like a 4 hour drive). Will you let me know the next time you are going to do this class I would like to be first on that list. I know that's asking alot :prayer: but I just can't do it this time.. It sounds like SOOO much fun though! \:D/
And I love the Oregon Coast Aquarium... Its really an excuse to take a vaction to the Oregon Coast.... But I just need a little more time to plan..

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

A weekend at the Oregon coast?! Mrs. Sounder was just talking about doing that last night!

Please do let us know what the dry portion of the class costs, and if you know when the next class is should we not be able to make this one.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Okee dokee, I just found out what the dry portion is: $75.

The next class after this one is scheduled for Saturday, May 5th.

- janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Ok Janna,

Saturday May 5th.... Sign me up for both portions.. Oooh I wanna dive in the aquarium.. It sounds like fun.

I will be making a weekend of it! Oh darn I am going to have to vacation on the Oregon coast because of Janna. Hee hee! \:D/

Sorry I couldn't make the Feburary class but I did just move so things are still a little crazy for me..

Let me know when you want money.

Cheers,
Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi guys!

How cool is that?? Some of you will be in the class!!! Nice to see friendly faces. :)

OK, so since this is an Oregon Coast Aquarium class, all the registration and moolah goes through them - does not ever touch my grubby paws. <drats>

To register call Vallorie at 541-867-3474, Ext. 5302
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

OK...so where is the aquarium?
If this is something that is on the "coast" perhaps there is a house we could all rent and share in expenses, drive costs, etc...
I and Tim would be in...
Any more info?
Kirsten
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The Oregon Coast Aquarium is located in Newport Oregon, which is about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Portland.

I just did a quick check on vacation rentals there, and it looks like there's lots to choose from.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/oregon#4212

Also, there is a La Quinta Inn right next to the Aquarium that I've stayed at - very nice, reasonable rates, plus they give you a very nice complimentary breakfast!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Seattle to Newport - pack a lunch!! It's a hike, but it sounds VERY worth it.

Janna, Erica and I are interested in the May 5th class as well - just can swing a whole weekend away this time. It's already on the calendar so we don't schedule anything else! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!