Scuba Trivia! Win Prizes!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Scuba Trivia! Win Prizes!

Post by mz53480 »

lundysd wrote:Stupid Dan Warter and his thorough research -- I coulda sworn none of the usual sites had the co-pilots name published, and yet after posting I found it on Dan's website!
Yes Lt. Shook -- the other members aboard were Fullmer, Merritt, Griffin, Brundett, Madden, la Point, Herd, Ratfield, and West. All survived the crash
Scott

First name?......:book:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Good point! Merrill Shook was his full name :)
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Laurynn... Laurynn....? :)
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

lundysd wrote:Laurynn... Laurynn....? :)
Apologies, wasn't sure if I took it or not since I did not provide the first name. :)

Sticking with the theme of local history...

I sank in 1921 and 8 lives were lost.

What am I?
Who were the first explorers to visit me after my sinking?
What were they hoping to find?
What is my "local divers" nickname?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

ss governor
kelly finn & eric morris
the safe supposedly carrying san francisco 20$ gold pieces
'the gov'
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

You are 4 of 5 correct. The nickname I hear the most is "the Andrea Doria of the West".

But since "The Gov" is a technically correct response, we'll call it good. Go forth and give the next question. :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

oh ya... i forgot the doria nickname... I guess i always considered it a much more difficult wreck, considering some of the peeps that are able to get out on the Doria :)

ok, here goes... continuing along the line of Local Trivia :)

What was the name of the first shop which had a Nitrox fill station in Washington? Who was it's owner, and where is he now?
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

John? Randy? come on boys... you know this one! ;)
----
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

going out on a limb, was it randy?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

nope... but Randy should know the answer... someone drag his butt to a computer! ;)
----
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

I think I know that one! Sound Dive and Adventure Center in Bremerton was the first shop to provide NITROX commercially for recreational divers, at least in the Puget Sound area. They started providing in 1993. The owner is Geoff Pentz, and as far as I know he hasn't gone anywhere.

Am I right?
-Kevin
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

pre-geoff... :)

the shop opened in 1987, and was the first shop west of the Mississippi to pump nitrox. He had a nice big RIX compressor.
ketralis wrote:I think I know that one! Sound Dive and Adventure Center in Bremerton was the first shop to provide NITROX commercially for recreational divers, at least in the Puget Sound area. They started providing in 1993. The owner is Geoff Pentz, and as far as I know he hasn't gone anywhere.

Am I right?
-Kevin
----
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Okay, so after quite a bit of searching, I discovered that the dive shop in question was owned by Larry Elsevier, and it was located in Bellingham, and I believe was called Bellingham Dive and Travel, where Larry and Dick Rutkowski taught NITROX courses. I'm not sure where Larry is now, unless he's the same Larry Elsevier who is the sales manager at Cochran UnderSea Tec. in Dallas, Ft. Worth

Get it that time?
-Kevin
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

he is indeed the sales manager for Cochran.

I remember him rep'ing the cochrans back in the early 90's and convincing us to try them on our deeper dives only to flood one after another (made it hard to report back on the algorithm)... He also imported Uwatec and Beuchat, was a scubapro dealer,typhoon, andy's etc.. I remember wondering why he thought he was so 'cool' back in the day (when i was an ungrateful whippersnapper) but now i realize, he was eon's ahead of his time and we were lucky to get a chance to learn. He even let us top off our helium fills with nitrox before we got a RIX for Adventure Diving Inc, so we were not stuck with poor mans mix - circa 1993, but was like "here's the key to the shed, I don't even want to know about it" LOL... he was a teacher and a visionary, and we were lucky to have him out here to help guide us out of the dark age of air...

(i figured the "west of the Mississippi" made it google-able) ;)
ketralis wrote:Okay, so after quite a bit of searching, I discovered that the dive shop in question was owned by Larry Elsevier, and it was located in Bellingham, and I believe was called Bellingham Dive and Travel, where Larry and Dick Rutkowski taught NITROX courses. I'm not sure where Larry is now, unless he's the same Larry Elsevier who is the sales manager at Cochran UnderSea Tec. in Dallas, Ft. Worth

Get it that time?
-Kevin
----
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Okay guys, so, sticking with the same topic, but maybe a little more obscure, what was the film that Larry Elsevier saw when he was 13 years old that inspired him to get into diving in the first place? I learned this as I was trying to figure out the last answer.
Good Hunting
-Kevin
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

tee hee... i won't answer ;)

but its the same one that inspired many of us :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
----
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

WAG - Silent World by Cousteau and Louis Malle?
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Close 4ster, but not quite. Keep 'em coming
-Kevin
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Capt. Nemo.jpg
Capt. Nemo.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

:dontknow:
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Nope
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Another Guess: World Without Sun. If I'm wrong I'll stop guessing and go back to the sidelines.
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

You were closer with the first one 4ster, I'll give a hint, you got the Cousteau part right, just the wrong film
-Kevin
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Okay guys, nobody's posted for a while, and it was a pretty obscure one, so I'm pulling it, the answer was "The Underwater World of Jacques Cousteau". I found the answer here http://www.sandysondrol.com/Leaders%20& ... ier%29.pdf

4ster you were closest to the right answer so the next question is yours if you want it.
-Kevin
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Ok, here goes.

What settlement in Puget Sound was named, at least in part, after what is now a dive site here? Hint: It was the largest of its kind on the west coast at one time.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

lobster shop wall?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000