B.C. Seal video

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

B.C. Seal video

Post by H20doctor »

what are your thoughts after watching this ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDgBBfOh1Gk[/youtube]

the dive site is Hornby Island BC
http://www.hornbyisland.com/hornby_isla ... y_maps.php

Norris Rocks - This is one of our most popular dive sites. Norris rocks are located at the southern tip of Hornby Island and part of Helliwell Provincial park and are the year round home to dozens of resident seals. These seals are extremely playful and curios of divers and snorkelers alike. The shallow waters that surround this site are teaming with colorful plant life, sea stars, sea pens, cup corals and dahlia anemones. Giant lingcod, an assortment of rockfish and colourful greenling are plentiful as are fields of sea urchins. You will also see purple-hinged scallops, giant moon snails, and BC's endangered abalone, as well as the odd octopus and huge schools of assorted feeder fish.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: B.C. Seal video

Post by eliseaboo »

I think I wouldn't let those teeth anywhere near my dry gloves!!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

It looked pretty gentle, but I'm afraid that would not be in my comfort zone. They must be feeding them pretty regularly.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

eliseaboo wrote:I think I wouldn't let those teeth anywhere near my dry gloves!!
not to mention regulator hoses.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm sure they will be simply <shocked> when someone is bitten or mauled by a large wild animal with big teeth.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

All I can say is

NORRIS :supz: (rocks)
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Is the white gloves thing the result of some weird Canadian law?

Every time I see picks or video of BC divers they have white drygloves. Maybe I'm missing something, gonna have to try them.

Oh, and no way am I letting wild animal mouth at me like that, friendly or not, that's my cue to exit.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Been there, done that twice, and the dives rank in my top ten all time dives! Given the opportunity to dive there again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The divers in the video are not following the instructions given in the dive briefing about safely interacting with the sea lions. The briefings clearly explain how to minimize the interactions when things get to a level where you are not comfortable (no matter what that level that is for each given diver), and the instructions work.
Jenn
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

nwbobber wrote:They must be feeding them pretty regularly.
Nope.
Jenn
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

my thoughts when i watched this video were... they are way to engaged to the seals, and playfull fun from them could turn into a chomped diver, or a curious Bite that breaks the skin.. Im sure the dive is Memorable, But there way to involved and way to close
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nwbrewer wrote:Is the white gloves thing the result of some weird Canadian law?

Every time I see picks or video of BC divers they have white drygloves. Maybe I'm missing something, gonna have to try them.

Oh, and no way am I letting wild animal mouth at me like that, friendly or not, that's my cue to exit.

its cause there not UTD or DIR !!! LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:

its cause there not UTD or DIR !!! LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You'd think that, but I've seen a lot of pictures of the UTD Vancouver crowd in the white butler gloves too!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Looks totally safe and easy on the gear:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

mz53480 wrote:Looks totally safe and easy on the gear:
1.JPG
Hey why is my High pressure hose Bursting ? .. Oh thats right the seal ate it .. DUH :arsespank: :shootself:
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

As fun as it looks... I think I would pass. Or watch from a distance.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just gloves turned inside out. White lining shows up way way better than those black ones you and airsix try to signal with!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

H20doctor wrote:what are your thoughts after watching this ?
1) It solidifies my theory (in my own head) that seals are just fat dogs that live underwater.

2) Stop biting my dry glove you fat underwater dog!

3) Seals are cool.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I hear if you cover your gear with buggers marine mammals will leave it alone. Unfortunately, it attracks killer shrimp.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:

Just gloves turned inside out. White lining shows up way way better than those black ones you and airsix try to signal with!
I actually tried turning mine inside out, the grippy stuff makes it a huge PITA to get them on. I would much prefer them in the Blaiz orange they are on the inside.
Last edited by Nwbrewer on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I actually tried turning mine inside out, the grippy stuff makes it a huge PITA to get them on. I would much prefer them in the blaze orange they are on the inside.
You spelled blaiz wrong sir <.<
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Blaiz wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I actually tried turning mine inside out, the grippy stuff makes it a huge PITA to get them on. I would much prefer them in the blaze orange they are on the inside.
You spelled blaiz wrong sir <.<

Fixed it.