Lake Cushman

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
SwimmerTodd
Just Settling In

Lake Cushman

Post by SwimmerTodd »

We have heard it said that there is a motel at the bottom of late Cushman. Does anyone have any information on it? We're thnking of heading there next month.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

The Antler's Hotel in Lake Cushman is I think what you are referring to.

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact location, but it is very near Lake Cushman State Park.

Let me know if you find it... :partyman:
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Oooh, i would love to try this one out. Count me in Todd!

Anyone else have more info?
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Been there, looked for that (At 200'), good luck to those who dare, I think it's Haunted - oooohhhh
I haven't done the forest. I hear that is cool too.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

mattwave wrote:Been there, looked for that (At 200'), good luck to those who dare, I think it's Haunted - oooohhhh
I haven't done the forest. I hear that is cool too.
No luck finding it huh? Can you describe what you "did" do so we can start narrowing down the possibilities?

There's an underwater forest too?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Matt you had to go and say it was haunted, now the narcosis is really going to mess with peoples minds.
Mav
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Re: Lake Cushman

Post by kitsapdiver »

A friend was in town recently. He really was into diving fresh water lakes, and in the mountains, and exploring new areas so we headed to Lake Cushman. We were looking for an area to access the lake and ended up diving the N. end (took the road headed toward stair case to a decent place to enter the water.) Visibility was about 40-50 ft. We limited our dive to 65 feet as a result of my computers batteries dying on site as we were starting the dive, but we saw a lot of very large tree stumps. In general it was pretty worthwhile. I will do it again.

I talked to the folks in the visitors center in Hoodsport, and they said the same thing Boydski did, the hotel was somewhere very near the state park. They also told me the state park was turned over to a native american tribe as part of a recent settlement in regards to the building of the Cushman dam, but I can not really verify that. I would be interested in doing research and joining the efforts to find the hotel. 200 ft. is a lil' out of my range but not for long. I should be taking a trimix class in the next 6-12 months, anydives in the mean time shallower than 150 I would be interested in joining in on.

Does the 200 ft. guess that people throw out there come from the level that the lake rose when the built the dam? What was the lake's level before the dam? anyone have any good resources on the area before 1912?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

There is a great forest right off shore at the resort (goes clear past 200) looks like aspens in the fog. We also ran across an old mine shaft that had been caved in, miners helmets etc. Vis starts to get REAL bad towards the winter when they start letting more water through the dam, stirring up the mushy bottom. The photo on my websites front page is from cushman.

www.dcsfilms.com
jayson182
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by jayson182 »

To resurrect this -
I found that it was burned to the ground prior to flooding...
http://search.tacomapubliclibrary.org/i ... &maxfiles=

I wonder if there is anything left.

At 160ft its beyond my skill at the moment but hopefully not forever.