"Wreck dive" @ Steilacoom/Sunnyside Fri 11/26 or Sat 11/27

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Laughter
Just Settling In

"Wreck dive" @ Steilacoom/Sunnyside Fri 11/26 or Sat 11/27

Post by Laughter »

I've got shipwreck fever.
Just got my copy of "Northwest Wreck Dives" and I'm itching to check out some shipwrecks. :supz:
Sunnyside Beach Park seems like a good place to start in the south end of the sound. I plan to start at Sunnyside and check out "Stella" the sailboat wreck there, then maybe move over to Steilacoom marina and the wrecks there.
All the wrecks these two sites are shallower than ~45fsw except one at ~60fsw.
I have not decided on Friday or Saturday yet, tides look a little better on Friday, though I don't think it matters at
these sites.
( Any comments or advice from you wise and experienced divers of the renowned and illustrious Northwest Dive Club is always appreciated.) :notworthy: :rawlings:

Anyone up for it?

the weather looks great!
40 degrees and rainy, perfect for rigging up in a drysuit.

"I just like to be underwater"
"I'll say something clever, soon as I get my foot out of my mouth."
boydski
Submariner

Re: "Wreck dive" @ Steilacoom/Sunnyside Fri 11/26 or Sat 11/

Post by boydski »

Laughter wrote: tides look a little better on Friday, though I don't think it matters at
these sites.
Have a great time diving the wrecks at the Steilicoom Marina. That site is a bit tide/current dependent and will get some current sweeping around the point, so you're better off planning your dive around slack water for that particular site. Sunnyside is a lot more foregiving on currents.

The Marina actually burned down a few years ago and is probably still fenced off on shore, but most of the wrecks are still accessible to divers from the park. One of them is actually straight out from the picnic shelter in the park.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

If I'm think of the same boat at Sunnyside there might still be a GPO living under the hull....it's been awhile since I've dove Sunnyside so I might be wrong.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Laughter
Just Settling In

Post by Laughter »

Mr Boyd,
Roger that, Makes sense to dive the more current sensitive site (the marina) at slack, then fill in the day at
Sunnyside.

Also, Cheers to you and Mr Carr on a most excellent book.
Despite your sage warning, I have become addicted to wreck diving.
"I'll say something clever, soon as I get my foot out of my mouth."