je boyden

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: je boyden

Post by Maverick »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Turns out BigSky either didn't understand why that line was down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
http://dcsfilms.com/Site_4/Lake_Union_Targets.html

here's a link to Dan's video he shot, watch it and tell us (TEAM US) that line is laid in some manner that can actually be used to survey. :nutty:

MATT's FUNNY today :popcorn:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

mattwave wrote:I personally know of a few wreck that have had lines around them for "years"
... so let's stop bickering and go clean 'em up ... wouldn't be the first time I've hauled someone else's garbage outta the water ... and had fun doing it.

Hey ... seriously ... we can either keep complaining or decide to go do something about it. For sure that line ain't gonna clean itself up ... and whoever put it there is probably long gone ... or beyond caring what somebody else thinks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

At the recent meeting for the Lake Union project, the issue of leaving line was discussed as well as other diving related protocols.To keep it short and sweet, the people "in charge" of the operation were very concerned about leaving anything on historical artifacts such as these wrecks. It was agreed that using line during the time of video/photography, or measuring could be useful, but then removed during that dive or within a day or two of the dive. There's a strict "no take, no leave" policy. They are/ will be addressing this issue.
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

wonderful, thank you for the update.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Bigsky and I along with a group of regulars who I won't bother naming have been diving the local wrecks for several years now. At first we would just remove the line and move on, just to be greeted by more the next time we visited. This is not by any means a new problem. As far as cleaning up we have and will continue to do our part.
I know that Bigsky's orginal post while somewhat sarcastic was written out frustration. I also share his frustration. We are fortunate enough to live in an area that has a fantastic maritime history. We need to be concerned with preserving these resources. Its all in our backyard get out and enjoy them.
Rob
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I made a shirt for all the wreck divers...
Team C.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

that doesnt look like it for all the wreck divers. Looks like its for TEAM C

VIVA TEAM C
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

What about guidelines leading to an object? I know of several lines leading from shore to wrecks in order to aid in navigation.

Should those be removed or are they providing a valuable service?
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: je boyden

Post by Joshua Smith »

Raydar wrote:What about guidelines leading to an object? I know of several lines leading from shore to wrecks in order to aid in navigation.

If you go back and read the thread, you'll see that nobody here has a problem with those.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Re: Re: je boyden

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Raydar wrote:What about guidelines leading to an object? I know of several lines leading from shore to wrecks in order to aid in navigation.

If you go back and read the thread, you'll see that nobody here has a problem with those.
Sorry, when the bickering started, my eyes glazed over. I must have missed that. All I saw was "Line Bad. Hang the bastards with their own line."

:D
Purveyor of crack ;)
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Given the prior uproar and the numerous demands for "follow up", I thought I'd give a quick update about the Boyden.

The project concluded in early December, and as I forecast earlier, the line was promptly cleaned up on the wreck. As a result of the dives done by the Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration Team, the archive research undertaken by members of SCRET, the collaboration of SCRET with CWB, MOHAI and NOAA, and the photos and video captured of the vessel by myself and Kathryn Arant, the J.E. Boyden is being designated as a Submerged Historic Archaeological Resource by the Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation, which works with the Smithsonian to document, register, and preserve legitimate historical artifacts. The DAHP registration is in the works with final approval to be obtained mid-Spring. "The people who are in charge" at CWB and NOAA were so appreciative for the thorough work of the dive team in this project that they have specifically requested that SCRET continue collaborating with them to research and document additional sites and potential targets.

I have the DAHP report for the Boyden and once it obtains final approval in a few weeks I can email it to interested parties directly. The hours and hours of research that go into this project after the diving is done is dizzying. The involved divers not only gave their time and their resources for the diving, they also spent countless hours digging through historical archives, census records, and photo archives to provide a really intriguing portrait not just of the J.E. Boyden, but of the Seattle that existed at the time of its construction and life. Once I discovered the historical significance and related research this past month, I knew this was a story that others would be interested in. I'm a history buff and find "micro-history" to be particularly fascinating, and I also do a lot of professional writing. So, I partnered with the folks involved in the research to tell their story. Subsequently, a couple of my articles about this project have been accepted for print by well-known diving and maritime historical publications.

Thanks to SCRET and the many other groups who are actively working to research, dive, document, and archive our submerged resources. They are a precious resource that we should all work to preserve and appreciate. I was excited to be a part of this particular project via filming and writing, and I very much look forward to collaborating with a variety of teams on future projects.

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What a cool ending, Laurynn! I'd love to see your articles.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I agree. Very nice wrap up! Keep us posted on the release of yoyr articles. I look forward to reading them
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy