Poaching Ling in the Hood Canal - Really!!!?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Poaching Ling in the Hood Canal - Really!!!?

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

While diving Hood Canal Friday I came across a couple Ling Cod carcass's. Seemed a little unusual to me so I took a closer look at one of them. It was fresh, probably less than a week old. IMHO the carcass was consistent with a recreational harvest. Based off an incident I was told before my dive(s), I suspect these fish ended up on a divers stringer.

The incident along with other circumstances, that I will not go into on a public forum, make me believe this is true.

I am all for spearfishing, in fact on occasion I enjoy it. What I don't care for is when it's done illegally not to mention in an area that has been closed for years.

My intention of this post: If this truly was an act of poaching by divers, that those who may have done this either read or hear about it and know that we will be watching for you in the future.

If you witness poaching in our waters, you can submit a report online here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/reportin ... tions.html

Enough said.

-Mark
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Poaching Ling in the Hood Canal - Really!!!?

Post by nwbobber »

Note that if you are witnessing the act in progress dial 911.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

You would be amazed at how normal this sort of thing is. Not necessarily for the canal, but for Puget Sound in general. Crab, ling, cabbie, rockfish.... It's not just one person being a jackassholeface, it's a group of people who all apparently think they are special. I doubt it's sport spearfishermen, they at least buy a license and know and avid by the rules. I doubt poachers go to the trouble of any of that. If you see it, report it! Maybe losing their catch, dive gear, boat, and whatever else F&G does to them will change their minds.
:angry:

*edit* It may seem like a trivial thing, but I think these people should be referred to as what they are, poachers. Not spearfishers, or fishermen, and especially not divers. Adding their actions to any other association, verbally or otherwise, I think gives the wrong message.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

so there was a spear hole? or hook and line?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.