Gear for a newbie??

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Re: Gear for a newbie??

Post by Acquatic »

Dusty2, LCF and everybody Thank you for the info. I guess thats my plan. I will first get certified and that will open up many doors.

One more question i had was, this might not be related to gear, I wear contacts and how difficult it is to dive wearing contacts ? My fear right now is, what if your mask floods?

do you dive wearing contacts ? what are your experiences?

Thanks.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Acquatic wrote:Dusty2, LCF and everybody Thank you for the info. I guess thats my plan. I will first get certified and that will open up many doors.

One more question i had was, this might not be related to gear, I wear contacts and how difficult it is to dive wearing contacts ? My fear right now is, what if your mask floods?

Thanks.
If your mask floods (and you'll need to flood and clear it in class) just keep your eyes closed. Some contacts can stay in if you squint a bit, but you can't see worth a darn underwater without a mask anyway so you might as well keep your eyes closed until you've cleared it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

CaptnJack wrote:
Acquatic wrote:Dusty2, LCF and everybody Thank you for the info. I guess thats my plan. I will first get certified and that will open up many doors.

Thanks.
If your mask floods (and you'll need to flood and clear it in class) just keep your eyes closed. Some contacts can stay in if you squint a bit, but you can't see worth a darn underwater without a mask anyway so you might as well keep your eyes closed until you've cleared it.
yeah thats what i was thinking.. i need to train myself in for this scenario as well :)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I'll echo what others have said.

Don't worry about the gear, aside from the personal stuff (mask, fins, gloves, boots, etc) until you've completed your training and have started doing your own non-training dives. In the meantime, look around and ask questions. You'll find that with most divers, the only thing second to diving is talking about diving and/or dive gear.

For now, just focus on learning and having fun.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Okay contacts,

Lots of people who wear contacts dive with them. In training I will guarantee you will flood your mask and clear it repeatedly in both the pool and open water. Closing your eyes helps. In the pool chlorine is an eye irritant that maybe exacerbated by contacts. In open water the concerns with contacts are microbial so you do not want to continue to wear contacts after they have been flooded. It is best to dispose of them after the dive and put in new contacts or wear glasses home. Take a pair of glasses or extra set of contacts with you. If you can see well enough to see your gauges and your dive buddy without your contacts try going without them until you have flooded and cleared your mask a few times. Refraction while using a mask underwater makes things appear closer and larger then they are. Like I said to begin this, lots of people wear contacts diving so it is a non issue as long as you take some precautions. Have fun and go take a class already were a good many of your questions will be answered!
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Aquatic,

I agree, to get a good idea on what gear people use locally, it would serve you best go hang out at a popular dive spot and ask a few divers what gear they got and why.

Buying something that works well in tropical destinations is very different from something that works well in long term here in PNW..

So - pick your primary kind of diving destinations AFTER you learned how to dive then go hang around dive sites and do a few dives with people in this board and make your decision on gear purchases. Its a pretty expensive investment, so doing it right the first time would be advisable :)

I have to also admit, the gear I bought on Day 1 is not what I dive with today at all.. the only thing left in my original setup is my regulator. But also, the kind of diving I do vastly differs from the original intent.

As far as certification classes and agencies - I would not recommend one dive shop over the other in this greater Seattle area. (Although I would definitely recommend one instructor over the other..) It also very much depends on your area and personal schedule.. I would also echo that Bob on this thread is an awesome instructor and I've only heard great things about him if you are in his area and schedule fits, you cant go wrong!. I would also be happy to take you to a pool for a "Discover Scuba" and give you some pointers on gear, diving, etc.

I would also recommend avoiding the "one weekend" and your done classes. you need at least 6 days (4 evenings pool and at least 2 full days Open Water) to do things right.

Again, the best is to talk to divers at a dive site and get some references for good instructors that forges decent relationships with students and can take you a long ways on your diving carreer.. Remember to ask about class size and ask about the instructor when you sign up..

Good luck!! And you are welcome to come down to Cove 2 on times that I dive and I can show you what gear I got and give you pointers on what works good for both here and in the tropics and a quick run down on how I teach a class..

cheers

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Grateful Diver wrote:I don't, personally, see any bashing going on in this thread. Nor do I think a discussion about different diving styles and gear choices should be a topic for contention.
Totally agree, discussions around diving styles and gear choices are healthy and belongs on this forum..

But.. I very much dissagree with the following statement:
Grateful Diver wrote:A good instructor won't teach those cheap classes ... their conscience won't allow it ...
I am one of those instructors that is affiliated with the dive shop in question and I happen to end up teaching some classes during Divers fair period and to be calling me a bad Instructor without a conscience is not something I take very lightly and fact, this comment is inflammatory and undeserved.

True - there are no specific agency or dive shop names being called out on this thread, but c'mon, fingers are clearly being pointed in a specific direction here and its not the right thing to do.. If you have a personal grudge or problem with an agency or a "specific dive shop chain that runs divers fair in July" - take it up with the agency, instructor or the dive shop so they can at least deffend the accusations.. Dont just throw these blanket accusations out in an attempt to discredit agencies, instructors and dive shops on the public forums. its not cool.

I'm by no means a perfect instructor, but at least believe I teach quality and safe Scuba classes from beginner level Open Water all the way through professional Dive Master level courses and Technical Diving courses.. And I would welcome anyone to come and talk to me or have a beer and chat through the agency I teach for and my approach to instruction..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

No offense intended, Koos. But I do share dive sites with many of the classes that come out of that event, and to be honest, although they are well organized in terms of how the classes are run, the outcome is predominantly divers who consistently trash the dive sites.

I have no axe to grind with either the shop or agency ... I used that particular event as an example simply because it's a large and obvious one. Theirs isn't the only shop in the area who runs cheap and quickie classes to entice customers into the store. But I do think it would be better if they could train their divers to not create such a mess that other divers trying to use the site can't see where they're going.

This isn't aimed at you or any instructor in particular ... it's simply that in Puget Sound, buoyancy control is an essential skill unless you're only planning to go one way ... because it's really helpful to be able to see where you're going on the way back ... not to mention leaving a bit of visibility for everyone else.

That's really my only concern ... I'm only reporting what I see out there, and it's the rare diver who will be able to learn proper buoyancy skills in a quickie classs.

Perhaps yours is the exception ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Watch this...I can tell the future! Backplate and wing discussion commence!!!!!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:No offense intended, Koos. But I do share dive sites with many of the classes that come out of that event, and to be honest, although they are well organized in terms of how the classes are run, the outcome is predominantly divers who consistently trash the dive sites.

I have no axe to grind with either the shop or agency ... I do think it would be better if they could train their divers to not create such a mess that other divers trying to use the site can't see where they're going.

This isn't aimed at you or any instructor in particular ... it's simply that in Puget Sound, buoyancy control is an essential skill unless you're only planning to go one way ... because it's really helpful to be able to see where you're going on the way back ... not to mention leaving a bit of visibility for everyone else.

That's really my only concern ... I'm only reporting what I see out there, and it's the rare diver who will be able to learn proper buoyancy skills in a quickie classs.

Perhaps yours is the exception ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Not going to happen with loss leader $99-129 classes. Customers wanna see fishies not deal with pesky buoyancy, dirty knees be damned.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

WOW i just have to say i like reading post about gear and finding out that it goes from giving info on gear to fighting over OW classis, ther sizeis and how the (LDS) sale them. i personal would have to say if it was not for my instructor and the time he put in to his classis and always being free to dive more with peopel from the class after ther OW Class and still teaching them i would still be a new diver who can one goe out and trun around and come back.

i personal know if a OW class is going on at a dive site ill go dive after the class or go to anther dive site..
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

No worries Bob, I take you for a well respected individual with a good block on his shoulders.. Yeah, I agree that bouyancy and staying off the bottom is tough to teach in 6 days, We do our best to teach proper weighting and buoyancy control during these 6 days, but its not something every person can master in 6 days.. Invariably the AI's in the back need to remind a student to inflate/deflate.. but at least we attempt to instill the foundational skill that should be practiced.

Unfortunately, this is not "just" in the PNW or $99 class problem, its a worldwide problem. Its for sure tough here when the thick neoprene, drysuits and lots of weight that makes skills acquired in the pool pretty much go to hell. But trust me, the rest of the world has same and even worse problems with "tourist" quickie courses and then the "resort courses" in the tropics are even worse!! I've had numerous students in my classes that actually will go through an OW all over again because the resort/tropic courses are not always on par..

Perfect buoyancy is a skill acquired through lots and lots of practice and diving. And then more practice every time a piece of gear changes..

Price of a class has nothing to do with the person teaching it or the outcome of the student's skill.. its 100% related to the instructor.. that's all I'm sayin..

anyhow, I'll shut up now and let the thread return to "gear for a newbie" ..
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

kdupreez wrote:Its for sure tough here when the thick neoprene, drysuits and lots of weight that makes skills acquired in the pool pretty much go to hell.
That is very true, and exactly why I advocate doing all the pool skills in the equipment you'll be using in open water. It makes the transition from pool to open water much more manageable, IMO.

Going from good vis and warm water to low vis and cold water is enough. Adding 7mm of neoprene, thick gloves and 24+lbs of weight, in addition to the environmental change makes the learning process really tough for the student.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

BDub wrote:That is very true, and exactly why I advocate doing all the pool skills in the equipment you'll be using in open water. It makes the transition from pool to open water much more manageable, IMO.
Where's the ala FB style "Like" button?? :)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

As someone who does not dive yet, purchasing dive gear is a scary and expensive thing.

As tempting as it may be, as an instructor, I would strongly recommend staying away from Craig's List. It can be tempting and there are some good deals out there, but you do not know what you are buying, and while most people are honest, there is a lot of crap on there. For example, there were stuff advertised on there a few months ago, and the seller said, "any good diver would know this is great stuff" when in reality, the stuff he was selling was very old. Until you know and understand what you may be purchasing, do not be tempted to buy anything.

As a new diver, the most important items you should invest in is a NEW mask and snorkel. Why? Well, first, do you really want a mask that someone else has spit in? Second, the silicone skirt has a memory, and it will mold around your face. Having a well-fitting mask will allow you to have a better dive experience. Getting fitted for a mask at a LDS (Local Dive Store) has the benefit of getting a good fit, and if it doesn't work properly in the pool, you can switch it out quickly.

I would strongly recommend waiting until after you get certified to purchase dive gear. Your equipment rental comes with your course so you can get a feel for what you like. Get on line, and do your research. Buying dive gear is like buying a car. There are many brands and features and you won't know what is right for you, until you know what kind of diving you are going to be doing. Many members of this club can tell you the hundreds of $$$ spent on gear that was not right for them.

Your instructor is the best resource to help you purchase dive gear. He/She can help determine what is best for you. Part of the training your instructor receives is helping students purchase gear. Consider them your "personal" shopper and let them help you find what best suits you. Remember, the dive instructor dives in the gear they dive for a reason. Most of them are not in cheapest gear out there.

Developing a good relationship with a dive store can also save you money. Being a "regular" customer will net you things like free air, free setup of gear, and even free rentals. You will also have the ability to get service on the spot, rather than having to wait for something to get sent to you in the mail. You also get something called a warranty, which means if you have a problem, they can handle it on the spot. Not all dive stores are created equal. Even the best and most popular stores are not for everyone. Find one that fits your personality and style. Over time, a good relationship with a dive store and instructor will save you a lot of money.

If you do purchase something used, make sure you get it checked out and serviced before you get into the water with it!

Remember, the most expensive piece of dive gear you own is the piece that sits in your closet.

As for instruction, there has been some good advice here. Most divers are not sure what to ask, so the assumption is to ask the obvious: "how much is the course?" Know what questions to ask. Like dive stores, all instructors are not created equal. If you are serious about becoming a cold water diver, find an instructor that is serious about training you to be one.

Good luck and see you in the water soon,
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There is ALOT of junk on craigslist. Dried out cardboard wetsuits, regs for which parts aren't available anymore, 6351 aluminum tanks (the "bad" alloy) which many shops won't fill. These are probably the top 3 worst and most common junk items.

There's a group of "maybe" items which come up from time to time like steel 72s and Sherwood Blizzard type regs. These can be worth it if you know what you're buying, can appraise value and are willing to walk away if need be.

Reliable items are pretty much limited to lead (hard to break, no service ever required lol). Although its often similar to shop prices anyway. "Good deals" are almost never what they seem on craigslist.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Having sold some equipment on Craigs List (and it was perfectly fine equipment in good condition, that I didn't want any more) I will take a little exception to a blanket recommendation not to look at the ads. But I would agree that one shouldn't buy anything without the guidance of an experienced diver, because people DO try to jettison junk there.

With all due respect to Amy, I will also differ with the recommendation that one's OW instructor is the best adviser for gear purchases. I think that has been covered pretty well in the crossfire about independents versus shop instructors, but I will also add that it really doesn't take very much diving experience to become an instructor, and I have known quite a few who had fewer lifetime dives than I racked up in my first year diving (and had been fewer places, and certainly had dived fewer gear setups). Honestly, a board like this is probably MUCH better guidance. Everybody here DIVES, and dives actively, and dives for fun, and dives HERE. You'll certainly get a variety of opinions on equipment, because people have found they like different things, but you'll get opinions that aren't based on the need to sell anything, and that ARE based on solid diving experience in local conditions.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Having sold some equipment on Craigs List (and it was perfectly fine equipment in good condition, that I didn't want any more) I will take a little exception to a blanket recommendation not to look at the ads. But I would agree that one shouldn't buy anything without the guidance of an experienced diver, because people DO try to jettison junk there.
I'd put your gear into the "maybe" category. Sure you knew it was fine but someone who's not certified or barely certified would have no idea if it was or wasn't suitable. If you are not positive what you're buying used (condition and value) save your money. On CL the odds are its not as good deal as the seller purports it to be.

Agree that divers who have nothing to sell and no incentive to market one peice of equipment or dealer over another are good sources of information about gear.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I dont read posts this long so you dont have to read this....he he

Having started my diving on minimal $$$ I would strongly disagree with the Craigslist statement. One of the things that 98% of my friends state why they cannot dive is the money. Diving is expensive and can certainly be intimidating when trying to "gear up". However; I dont think it is a sport only to be enjoyed by people that can afford a decent amount of toys. I know some people that have sunken themselves in debt just to keep up with the "cool kids" and have all the neat things. Neat does not equal necessary.
Then when you start diving you will most likely dive with groups that will try and steer you towards this light, this gear configuration, these flippy flippers, and more. So essentially there will always be things to buy, things to service, and "suggested" changes in your gear.
So my 2 psi is...
Get your OW and dive.
Hook up with people and start trying gear out. Plan a dive, figure out what items people are loaning you, rent the rest. Some people prefer backplate/wing, some people prefer a weight integrated BC. Some people prefer split fins, some regular, and the list goes on and on.
Once you have a good idea what you are looking for then used equipment is easier to pick up. i.e. "I know I want a ScubaPro knighthawk, I would rather wear a weight belt as integration is not comfortable, I want the smaller steel 100's as they are the easiest to get trim with, Heavy fins are good as they keep my feet down...blah blah.
When buying online always factor in the "servicing" price on your regulator set. This is one thing that you will "certainly" want to have looked at before relying on it for life sustaining breathing.
Meet plenty of people. Thats what NWDC can certainly help you do. Don't let the pressure of others steer you in any direction that seems biased due to fitting into a certain group. Just get good reliable gear that works for YOU and dive often. Before you can reap the benefits of certain gear there is a certain amount that works out with repetative DIVING and learning how to trim. See you in the water!!!

I agree with CaptJack "Agree that divers who have nothing to sell and no incentive to market one peice of equipment or dealer over another are good sources of information about gear."
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Thank you all for the craigslist pointers.. will keep them in mind. I am so excited and can't wait to start my certification.

I had one more question, since i am an avid motorcycle rider we come across motorcycle events where the gear is on sale and you save good amt of money in these kinda events. So i was wondering is there any diving events/fairs organized.. where the gear and accessories are on sale :)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Acquatic wrote:Thank you all for the craigslist pointers.. will keep them in mind. I am so excited and can't wait to start my certification.

I had one more question, since i am an avid motorcycle rider we come across motorcycle events where the gear is on sale and you save good amt of money in these kinda events. So i was wondering is there any diving events/fairs organized.. where the gear and accessories are on sale :)
yes
I would start here.......

http://tinyurl.com/3853l5a
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Norris wrote:
Acquatic wrote:Thank you all for the craigslist pointers.. will keep them in mind. I am so excited and can't wait to start my certification.

yes

well google is always the first place to go :) but i was thinking of any yearly/monthly regular events..
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Acquatic wrote:
Norris wrote:

yes

well google is always the first place to go :) but i was thinking of any yearly/monthly regular events..
My point was to visit some of the dive shop sites. I would assume that any one of them would be happy to put you on a mailing list to alert you of their sales. In addition any expos or the like will most likely be posted on here LONG before they happen.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Most of the local shops have some kind of big sale ... usually in June or July ... the UWS Diver's Fair I mentioned earlier is the biggest and most advertised ... I believe it's in July ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

aah got it.. Thanks Norris, Bob...