DIVE FOR THE CURE 2007 - SEATTLE

General banter about diving and why we love it.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

DIVE FOR THE CURE 2007 - SEATTLE

Post by girldiver »

The planning has begun for Dive For the Cure 2007.

This event is the first of it's kind in the world and will be held in both Seattle and San Diego to raise awareness and monies for Breast Cancer. The goal is to see 100 women in the water to raise money...though this is not a female specific event and men are encouraged to get involved as well. We will also be hosting an auction to raise additional funds and serve as a kick-off. All monies will stay locally, with the recipient being Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center for the Seattle event.

We are pleased to announce that Mares, with their She Dives gear line, will be the major sponsor of the event, initially donating nearly $5,000 worth of gear to the fundraising effort.

The dates are pending, however, I can tell you that the event will be in October, with the kick-off up here...and the San Diego event the following weekend.

Initially, we are now in the process of seeking 4 committee heads. These will be specific to the Seattle event, though the two events will share ideas and will be as similar as locale will allow.

The following positions are needed:

Site Committee (set up, coordination and break down of day event site)

Donation Committee (yeah, these are the solicitors)

Auction Committee (responsible for site selection, coordination and evening program)

Publicity Committee (will interface with graphic gal, and distribute all event publicity)

Please PM me if you are interested, or contact me at cindy@girldiver.com

This is going to be BIG...BIG, I tell you!

Cheers!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Oh...and as far as Committees...

We realize that there are many men who have been affected by this disease...so we welcome men on the committees.

Just realize, we're going to be eating chocolate at meetings... \:D/
Cindy
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Cindy,

Wow this sounds like a great event. I don't have the time to do any of the committee things but I would like to be part of the dive. Are we going to be getting sponsors for diving? Each diver getting their friends and co-workers to sponsor them?

Thanks,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Yes...

And more info will be coming out on that.

Basically, there will be two areas that will be female specific...

For non-divers...

Discover Scuba - involving a pool session and then an Open Water Discover Scuba dive at the event.

Certification Dive - female teams will go through a participating dive retail center for their Open Water course. Their final certification dive will be conducted at the event, so they'll come out of the water as new divers.

Then for both men and women...(they need to be already certified) we're working on a Women In Diving program that will be allow both men and women to do a dive program that will still hold a bit of a challenge in it. More details on this one as it evolves..but initially, it seems pretty cool.

We'll be limiting the number of participants, as we can only have so many in the water at a time for safety reasons.

Would love to see $25,000+ raised from this event.
Cindy
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Any idea how much the discover scuba thing will cost? Some of the students I meet at college might be interested.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Too early for costs. Still need to get venues, budgets and corporate sponsorships set up.

Right now we're basically looking for PEOPLE to help organize the event. It's way to big for just me.

As more info becomes available, local dive centers and all scuba boards will receive it.
Cindy
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

why not have men join the dive for the cure aswell? i know a few men whose wifes came down with breast cancer, and i have seen how it affects them both on a marriage level and on a personal level. i only hope that my wife and my 2 girls never have to deal with this. like other things, i believe in finding a cure for...
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

As in a previous post on this thread:

Then for both men and women...(they need to be already certified) we're working on a Women In Diving program that will be allow both men and women to do a dive program that will still hold a bit of a challenge in it. More details on this one as it evolves..but initially, it seems pretty cool.

Also: Anyone can sign up to work on or CHAIR a committee.

Breast Cancer does not differentiate between men and women when it leaves loved ones behind. And breast cancer, as a disease, doesn't only strike women.

This is NOT a female specific event...my goal of 100 women in the water is for promotion...but DOES NOT restrict men from joining the cause. If I have 100 women and 50 men in the water...well, that's more money raised for the Cure.
Cindy
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I donated the services of my band "Blue Juice" :smt035 to play at this event.
But Cindy still needs some organizers... :smt024
Anyone? Anyone?

Dates would probably help so, we'll see, how it comes together
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: