The piling al Mukilteo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

The piling al Mukilteo

Post by oldsalt »

I noticed a piling sticking up off the bottom near the satellite dish on the way to the sunken boat out from the T-dock. I have been there a lot and had not seen it before. To see a piling rising from the bottom at 100 ft depth is unusual to say the least. Does anybody know the story? Other divers say it has been there for about two weeks. It seems like another practical joke by Barry.
Happy to be alive.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

The piling al Mukilteo

Post by Rockfish »

Barry had nothing to do with this one. Was the piling sticking in the bottom?
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: The piling al Mukilteo

Post by oldsalt »

Yes. The piling was buried into the bottom at 100 ft depth and sticking up about 15 ft from the bottom. The top of the piling is far below the surface so I deduced that it had to be erected underwater. I sink pilings by hand in front of my home, so I have an idea of what is involved. A major effort.
Happy to be alive.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I saw the same thing yesterday & had the same question for rockfish. I'd estimate its height more than 15'. wherever it came from, its been underwater for a while. I'm assuming I have just missed it in the past. I also noticed that the sat dish is home to more rockfish all broken up than it was when it was whole. I also saw kelp greenlings on it which I usually do not see at Muk. The recent storms have moved several things around. the small boat northeast of the dish has been blown into the line that runs parallel to shore, on the far north end of the line, if you follow the log past the lines, another small boat has been shoved into whats left of the jungle gym down at about 115' & is kind of a tangled mess now. cool for fish but not something good for divers to get wrapped up in unless they are prepared to deal with it. The shrimp were out in force. could've filled a bucket fast yesterday.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Sorry can't take credit for the piling. It has been a long time since I have been to the t-dock. I'm going to try to get down there before the end of the year and check it out.

Thanks,

Mike
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I spotted that the other week coming back from a deep scooter run and thought to myself "were the hell did that come from"????? "am I were I think I am or am I someplace else like under the ferry"????????

Yea if someone put it their that is impressive.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I swam out to the boatwreck today and the piling is tilted over at 45 degrees (about, I didn't measure it). I suspect that a couple more changes of tide will bring it to rest on the bottom.
Happy to be alive.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

dieseldude wrote: I also noticed that the sat dish is home to more rockfish all broken up than it was when it was whole. MJ

Sweet, now we can say it was intentional :partydance: so the story is after growing concern that the satelight dish was incapable of supporting life we "modefied" it to increase the local rockfish population..... yeah that'll work.. lets run with it.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Sounds like it was a dead-head to me - floating along, barely positive and oriented such that only the very tip of one end was visible at the surface - the rest of its considerable length pointed directly towards the bottom. These are not fun to encounter when boating. It finally become waterlogged enough for a small wave to submerge it and that was enough to send it spearing down into the sand. Subsequent tidal flows must've moved it some.

Recent storms and flooding probably washed it off a beach or out of a log-jam in one of the rivers.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

The piling al Mukilteo

Post by Rockfish »

Yes we can't thank Agent 47 enough for the part he played in making the satellite dish a better place for rockfish.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

We dove at Mukilteo yesterday and saw the piling.

At this time there is very little of it sticking in the bottom and it looks the the tip that is in or at the bottom is hollow and jagged. It moves very easily.

I think that the theory that this was a dead head has a lot of merit. The upper part of the piling does have some residual bouyancy.

I would strongly suggest that anyone diving around this piling exercise extreme caution as the the piling could topple over at any time.

It's unforunate that this will probably topple over sometime soon as it looks really cool silhouetted against the surface.

Mike
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I just got out of the water with Morningdiverbob. The piling has toppled over and rests atop the satellite dish. Lots of big rockfish though. Also lings, GPO under the boat, and two wolf eels in shallower water. Lousy vis, great dive.
Happy to be alive.