Quality local dry-suit repair

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Quality local dry-suit repair

Post by LCF »

I've used Superior for quite a few things, and I don't use them any more. They have stood behind everything they have done, but too many things didn't come right the first time and had to be sent back. And they aren't particularly cheap, and they aren't particularly fast.

The last dry suit work I had done was done by Doug Mudry at Extreme Exposures in Florida. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the work -- everything looked as though it had come from the factory, and everything was done perfectly right. He wasn't cheap and he wasn't fast, but man, he was good. (The fact that the southeast regional rep for DUI has his DUI repair work done by Mudry, instead of DUI, was a selling point.)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Pez7378 wrote:And MORE great reviews! Okay, let me ask this. If Ron is sending the suit out to be sewn, where is he sending it? DUI?
I was in Bellingham last week. Ron is out of town until next Mon 01/16. Give him a call at 360 676 4177. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

LCF wrote:(The fact that the southeast regional rep for DUI has his DUI repair work done by Mudry, instead of DUI, was a selling point.)
Wow! now that speaks volumes. Very impressive. :joshsmith:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

scottsax wrote: DUI's repair prices are online: http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/Service_P ... Retail.pdf
Ouch! Before shipping, you're looking at close to $450 to replace the zipper. Toss in seal replacement and you're within touching distance of $700.

This scuba diving thing is kinda spendy, ain't it? #-o
Purveyor of crack ;)
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Raydar wrote:
scottsax wrote: DUI's repair prices are online: http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/Service_P ... Retail.pdf
Ouch! Before shipping, you're looking at close to $450 to replace the zipper. Toss in seal replacement and you're within touching distance of $700.

This scuba diving thing is kinda spendy, ain't it? #-o
Says the purveyor of the spendiest and awesomest gear out there! :neener:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Just for comparison, I had Doug replace all the seals on my Fusion AND swap the socks out for DUI TurboSoles, and it cost me $400.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

I had Superior replace my zipper in my CF200 with a new hd zipper, they permanently installed dry rings on my suit, and fixed my small leaks throughout the suit for $400.00 including shipping. I was very happy with the work, but they can be hard to get ahold of.
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chris Borgen wrote:I had Superior replace my zipper in my CF200 with a new hd zipper, they permanently installed dry rings on my suit, and fixed my small leaks throughout the suit for $400.00 including shipping.
i don't mean to hijack, but i'm curious about the permanently installed rings. i assume there are no seals on the inside, once the rings are permanent?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:I had Superior replace my zipper in my CF200 with a new hd zipper, they permanently installed dry rings on my suit, and fixed my small leaks throughout the suit for $400.00 including shipping.
i don't mean to hijack, but i'm curious about the permanently installed rings. i assume there are no seals on the inside, once the rings are permanent?
You are correct. They just glue the rings right on to the suit material.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

scottsax wrote:Says the purveyor of the spendiest and awesomest gear out there! :neener:
Touche' ;)
Purveyor of crack ;)
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

spatman wrote:
Actually there are still seals on the inside. So they glue (and stitch??) the suit sleeve to the outside of the ring. I then have a hard ring that still goes inside the ring so I can just use any ol' seal in case I tear my glove only my hand gets wet. But I dont need the seal on the inside.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chris Borgen wrote:
spatman wrote:
Actually there are still seals on the inside. So they glue (and stitch??) the suit sleeve to the outside of the ring. I then have a hard ring that still goes inside the ring so I can just use any ol' seal in case I tear my glove only my hand gets wet. But I dont need the seal on the inside.
if you get a chance, could you post a pic or two? i'm having a hard time visualizing how that works.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

spatman wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
spatman wrote:
if you get a chance, could you post a pic or two? i'm having a hard time visualizing how that works.
Here's some pics of my system. So they sewed and glued the suit sleeve up to the lip on the outer ring just below where it says viking. Then the hard ring goes inside the outer ring and squeezes the latex seal in between the 2 rings just like on most other dry glove ring systems.
Attachments
2421_400_750.jpg
DSC_0495.jpg
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ah, ok. so you're using the rubber gloves that just stretch over the rings to form a seal, right?
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

spatman wrote:ah, ok. so you're using the rubber gloves that just stretch over the rings to form a seal, right?
Yes
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

I just had the zipper in my DUI TLS-350 replaced in December so I thought I would pass along my experience.

First the zipper replacement costs $366 dollars. However, any major suit repairs also require a $77 dollar "Test and Evaluation Fee". This covers checking the suit after the repair to ensure water tightness and repairing any minor tears on punctures in the suit. So if you have any pinholes or other small leaks that need fixed it could be handy, but just realize there is an extra cost. So the total will set you back $443. Not an easy one to swallow, but you do end up with a factory zipper with a warranty.

Another thing to note. When they tested my suit they found that there was some cracking on the zip seal rings. I hadn't noticed anything and they weren't leaking, but they put on new rings and gave me a new pair of zip dry gloves and liners free of charge and marked it "repaired under warranty". I bought my suit used, so I am not the first owner, but I guess it was still covered under warranty. Overall I am very happy with my repair, I got a factory zipper, leak tested, with a few hundred dollars in "free" service with the warrantied zip gloves.

Anyway, some more information if you are thinking about going the DUI route.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

+1 for DUI customer service. I send my suit in pretty much every year for a general "check up". Whatever's wrong is fixed at a comprable price and I have the suit back within 2 weeks of shipping it. 100% worth it!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

rjw wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:And MORE great reviews! Okay, let me ask this. If Ron is sending the suit out to be sewn, where is he sending it? DUI?
I was in Bellingham last week. Ron is out of town until next Mon 01/16. Give him a call at 360 676 4177. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions.
Thanks Rob.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Bad fabric on TLS350's

Post by renoun »

DUI has also discovered they got some bad fabric
JANUARY 13, 2011

TLS350 Owners
For Suits Manufactured
Sept ’09-Nov ‘09

If you own a DUI TLS350 drysuit manufactured from September 2009 through November 2009, here's a heads up. DUI received 4 reports of unexplained damp spots inside the suit. Investigation identified inconsistencies in the butyl rubber layer of a single batch of TLS material produced by a single supplier. In some (but not all) cases, microscopic air bubbles in the butyl rubber layer may allow water to seep through the fabric. DUI used that material to make TLS350 drysuits from September 2009 through November 2009.

If you've been bothered by an unexplained damp spot, check the manufactured date inside your DUI suit to see if your suit might be affected.
[snip]
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

-Aaron- wrote:Another thing to note. When they tested my suit they found that there was some cracking on the zip seal rings. I hadn't noticed anything and they weren't leaking, but they put on new rings and gave me a new pair of zip dry gloves and liners free of charge and marked it "repaired under warranty". I bought my suit used, so I am not the first owner, but I guess it was still covered under warranty. Overall I am very happy with my repair, I got a factory zipper, leak tested, with a few hundred dollars in "free" service with the warrantied zip gloves.
One of our instructors sent in his TLS 350 to replace the zippers. They also replaced both pockets and socks free of charge, and a leak along one of the seams and it was considered "warranty replacement." +1 for DUI customer service.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

use Ron in bellingham, he's great at everything he does. And you can have a nice hopt cup of Decaf coffe while you're there.
BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.