Shearwater Predator

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Shearwater Predator

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just phoned in my payment for the upgrade to my Pursuit. Can't hardly wait!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Shearwater Predator

Post by kdupreez »

Nice!! those are pretty cool! I test dove one just after the OLED upgrade..

Not much in functionality that changed, but that OLED does make a big difference over the LCD
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

I really like the preditor, you should be very happy with it.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

kdupreez wrote:Nice!! those are pretty cool! I test dove one just after the OLED upgrade..

Not much in functionality that changed, but that OLED does make a big difference over the LCD
Actually, there is a lot of difference now between the LCD Pursuit and the OLED Predator.

The Predator has a "Dive Planning Mode"
An even better "Menu" system
Multi color Display with a really nice "Warning System"
Longer battery life
More options with the decompresion software
Coming soon, even more new things with the Predator.

The Predator has the ability to move forward with new ideas and functions.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

The new "Dive Planning Mode" is really something, too!

I used it to plan my deep dives on my last trip up to Nootka Sound - something that I would previously have done on my lap-top. Worked like a champ, and in the blink of an eye!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Curt McNamee wrote:
Actually, there is a lot of difference now between the LCD Pursuit and the OLED Predator.

Longer battery life

Hey Curt, just curious, any reason for dive planning mode not being available on non OLED models? Do you guys change out other hardware besides the OLED during an upgrade?

I didnt know the algorithms changed in predator, can you elaborate? thats pretty cool though.

Have to say, thats one thing I love about real tec computers in the sense that you can upgrade the firmware and in some cases even hardware.. can't get that with your run-of-the-mill puck'o'puter.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

the upgrade is awesome, a new mother board and lots of goodies and yes, the screen is eye popping... one of the more generous upgrades I've ever seen by a dive computer manufacturer. some of the best money I've spent.

Shearwater looks out for it's existing customers even as it perfects new products. One of the best companies in the diving industry, IMHO.

g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I love my Predator, and it was a huge upgrade from the Pursuit.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

kdupreez wrote:
Curt McNamee wrote:

Longer battery life

Hey Curt, just curious, any reason for dive planning mode not being available on non OLED models? Do you guys change out other hardware besides the OLED during an upgrade?

I didnt know the algorithms changed in predator, can you elaborate? thats pretty cool though.

Have to say, thats one thing I love about real tec computers in the sense that you can upgrade the firmware and in some cases even hardware.. can't get that with your run-of-the-mill puck'o'puter.

The Predator has a much more powerfull processor and has lot's of future upgrade ability, the Pursuit ran out of processing power and could not handle any more programming or program capacity.

The decompression alogrithms are the same on both computers , we were just able to add some new decompression functions on the Predator :-)

When we do the Pursuit to Predator upgrade, you get a whole new more powerfull circuit board/computer, the larger OLED display and screen insert, it really is a new computer with Blue Tooth downloads for you dive log and firmware updates, we use your old case and screen.

Curt
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Gill Envy wrote:the upgrade is awesome, a new mother board and lots of goodies and yes, the screen is eye popping... one of the more generous upgrades I've ever seen by a dive computer manufacturer. some of the best money I've spent.

Shearwater looks out for it's existing customers even as it perfects new products. One of the best companies in the diving industry, IMHO.

g
+1
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just picked up the new Gizmo this morning! It's really, really cool! Can't wait to get it wet. I'll post a review after I dive it; but first impressions are very positive- I love the new menus, and the dive planning feature is fantastic!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."