Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
citycatred
Submariner

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by citycatred »

Grateful Diver wrote:
citycatred wrote:Almost got trampled by a group of Polar Bear Plunge people when I came out...
... were they getting in or getting out ??? :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
They were getting in. Too bad my dive buddy didn't like the idea of me playing JAWS.... probably a good thing since they would have made sure to trample me then....
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

BASSMAN wrote:
citycatred wrote:Edmonds Underwater Park was about 20ft today. Almost got trampled by a group of Polar Bear Plunge people when I came out...
Where's the pictures? :smt064
http://myedmondsnews.com/2011/01/2011-e ... o-gallery/

I know someone in there group took a picture of us, but I don't have access to their facebook page so I can't see if they posted it....but here's some proof :p
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Re: Pics Reports Thread

Post by gutholmj »

Jan 2nd.

Day Island Wall around 10 am. Visibility was 10-12'. The dive was a total waste of time. I would highly recommend that no one ever dive DIW again. But really, it was quite unusual how little there was at DIW which is one of my favorite dives. No nudies, no octos, not even very many cool looking crabs.

Redondo around 1 pm. Visibility was 15+ and we found way more cool stuff.
Attachments
DSC_0699.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

gutholmj wrote:Jan 2nd.

Day Island Wall around 10 am. Visibility was 10-12'. The dive was a total waste of time. I would highly recommend that no one ever dive DIW again. But really, it was quite unusual how little there was at DIW which is one of my favorite dives. No nudies, no octos, not even very many cool looking crabs.

And no other divers! That was nice having the entire place to ourselves on such a nice day.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

1-1-11 20'+ at 150fsw under the narrows bridge :angelblue:

SWEEEEEET :partydance:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sorry to hear all these awful DIW reports. What a waste of time! I on the other hand had a much more exciting & fun dive on the 1st. Columbia Point Marina, Columbia River. Dive time: 50 minutes, surface temp 18F, water temp 32F. Sheet ice was only 1/16" thick, so no big deal. Vis was at least 7ft. We saw one golf ball crab, strike that, one golf ball, some beer bottles, a camp chair, a cinder block, lots of milfoil, a barbecue grill, and two dead salmon. Hamstring cramped at 37minutes but had to power through it to get back to the entry. Leg still hurts. Bolt snaps all froze shut on the walk back to the car. Cold? I think I burned 5,000 calories. So yeah, DIW is lame. Last time I was there I only saw a million awesome things. Big deal. :tomnic:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

gutholmj wrote:Jan 2nd.

I really love this shot, good work!
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Flagpole 1/2/11- 15' viz. Temp at depth: 47. Temp at 15 fsw: an invigorating 35 degrees. :eek:
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

citycatred wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
citycatred wrote:Edmonds Underwater Park was about 20ft today. Almost got trampled by a group of Polar Bear Plunge people when I came out...
Where's the pictures? :smt064
http://myedmondsnews.com/2011/01/2011-e ... o-gallery/

I know someone in there group took a picture of us, but I don't have access to their facebook page so I can't see if they posted it....but here's some proof :p
Haha! Cool that you were there to see the wave of crazies hitting the water - from a different perspective, too. I've been participating in various polar dip type events for a few years and they are super fun. Really a great way to start out the new year. I went up to Lake Padden this time - did the Polar Run and then the Polar Dip. Decided to wear my helmet cam into the water:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXa8QolOQQ4[/youtube]

Most amusing to me were a group of runners who covered the 5.2 miles in their PJs, bathrobes and slippers.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

LCF wrote:Oh, whatevah, next time the tides are favorable, let's go do that again . . . I honestly can't imagine someone diving DIW and not coming away feeling it was worth the trip!
It was worth the trip that one time - glad I got to take a look at another popular site, and I did enjoy the structure - the rock reminded me a lot of Point Defiance north. I know it has a reputation for Wolf Eels, GPOs etc and those are nice critters for sure. We didn't get very far along the south wall as one of our group had equipment issues that brought a premature end to the dive. That diver was pretty bummed about the situation and I'll be going back to DIW to help them log a successful dive there at some point - will let you know in case you're able to come along. I think I'm just spoiled by the density and variety of life up north - the colorful invertebrates coating the rocks, really huge folded and inverted rocky structure and endless fields of plumose anemones are a lot more rewarding to me. If I'm going to shore dive, it's a more scenic and shorter drive to Keystone and that site always delivers for me and my camera. Makes DIW a tough sell you see.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

whatevah wrote:
LCF wrote:Oh, whatevah, next time the tides are favorable, let's go do that again . . . I honestly can't imagine someone diving DIW and not coming away feeling it was worth the trip!
It was worth the trip that one time - glad I got to take a look at another popular site, and I did enjoy the structure - the rock reminded me a lot of Point Defiance north. I know it has a reputation for Wolf Eels, GPOs etc and those are nice critters for sure. We didn't get very far along the south wall as one of our group had equipment issues that brought a premature end to the dive. That diver was pretty bummed about the situation and I'll be going back to DIW to help them log a successful dive there at some point - will let you know in case you're able to come along. I think I'm just spoiled by the density and variety of life up north - the colorful invertebrates coating the rocks, really huge folded and inverted rocky structure and endless fields of plumose anemones are a lot more rewarding to me. If I'm going to shore dive, it's a more scenic and shorter drive to Keystone and that site always delivers for me and my camera. Makes DIW a tough sell you see.
It sounds like you need to drive another 15 minutes west and dive Sunrise.......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

1-3-11
Mukilteo T-dock

10 - 15 feet (15 being generous) milky at depth.

46 F at 100 FSW 44 F at 10 FSW.

Lots of fish and bright sunshine.

Mike
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

cardiver wrote:
whatevah wrote:I think I'm just spoiled by the density and variety of life up north - the colorful invertebrates coating the rocks, really huge folded and inverted rocky structure and endless fields of plumose anemones are a lot more rewarding to me. If I'm going to shore dive, it's a more scenic and shorter drive to Keystone and that site always delivers for me and my camera. Makes DIW a tough sell you see.
It sounds like you need to drive another 15 minutes west and dive Sunrise.......
Maybe so - I've never been there. What I've heard is that I'll find more GPOs and Wolfeels there but seeing those over again isn't really what keeps me excited about diving anymore. If you think it has compelling structure and invert color/density/variety to make it worth passing up Keystone and driving a couple more hours I will bump it up on my list and check it out sooner rather than later.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Keystone Jetty Thursday 6th. Milky and silty, only 8 ft visibility. :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sund Rock 6 Jan 25-30'.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

TTN, 1-7, 1100. Great viz, at least 20ft!
Life is good, let's dive!!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Possession Point Fingers 1/8/11 15 feet
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Finally got Bassman back inthe water tonight after a two month "vacation".
Viz was a very respectable15-20 fsw at 3 Tree!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:Finally got Bassman back inthe water tonight after a two month "vacation".
:joshsmith: :partydance: :joshsmith: :partydance: :joshsmith: :partydance: :breakdance: :bounceline:

So where's the pics?
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Keiths new camera was having issues and mine hasn't arrived yet.....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Ugh, diving Edmonds tomorrow am, never been. Dreading a long drive and bad crappy viz. Sooo anyone know the word on viz there today or really recently?
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

gutholmj wrote:
cardiver wrote:Finally got Bassman back inthe water tonight after a two month "vacation".
:joshsmith: :partydance: :joshsmith: :partydance: :joshsmith: :partydance: :breakdance: :bounceline:

So where's the pics?
right here, but I'm still having camera issues! :angry:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14630
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Winter wrote:Ugh, diving Edmonds tomorrow am, never been. Dreading a long drive and bad crappy viz. Sooo anyone know the word on viz there today or really recently?
Only one piece of advise from me would be, dive it at high tide!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

+1 on the high tide advice @ Edmonds... Vis at Keystone today wasn't too bad, around 15' or so around the Jetty on the first dive w/2-3' waves and 30 mph winds... Entry was easier than it looked at first though I had a fin knocked out of my hand and spent the next 5 minutes or so trying to find it... My buddy found it about 15' from where it was knocked loose and continued the dive... Waves were much smaller after a 45 min. cruise along the jetty and exiting the water wasn't any trouble at all... Good dive!!! Finally met Jan K today during the SI and I must say it was a pleasure to meet him... The man is a phenomenal story teller... Anyway Dive 2 we had the sun peeking out and the water smooth as glass w/ almost no current to go out to the pilings, one of the easiest crossing I've had there... Unfortunately I didn't charge my camera battery last night and it crapped out on me after only a couple of shots into this dive (lesson learned) because the vis in the pilings was some of the best I've seen there with the sun coming down and no current to speak of...
A really nice dive but no pix from it... :angry: Saw a small GPO along the rope about halfway to the jetty and that's a pretty long swim with no current to help you along... All in all a great day of diving... Too bad the folks from Emerald Sea DC decided to bail, it wasn't nearly as bad as it first appeared and it sure beat staying home and watching the Seahawks...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Had a couple of cylinders with partial fills to burn so I took them to Canoe Pass yesterday. Got coordinates of some derelict fishing gear (1x gill-net, 3x pots) and documented the damage via some sad photos. Visibility was around 4'. The wind was pushing some major surf in under the bridges as the flood was ending and once the flow reversed they became truly awesome rollers. Despite the poor visibility and rough surface conditions, I had a really nice relaxing dive and found myself quite enthralled with the critter variety - first local dive since my November trip to Australia that I really felt like I was back in the groove. The sun came out when the diving was done and the scene at West Beach was really something...
West Beach on MLK Day
West Beach on MLK Day
Once again I am reminded how lucky I am to live where the natural environment lacks subtlety.

Fish'n'chips from Seabolts put the lid on a damned fine long weekend :)