Bonaire Video December 2010

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Bonaire Video December 2010

Post by -Aaron- »

Well my Bonaire video is finally done :). I started with 40 hours of footage spread over 1500 clips, and was able to edit it down to an action packed 15 minute video. I really had a great trip; the island was beautiful, the weather was warm, and the diving was spectacular. I had a chance to see an amazing variety of sea life it and it was great to take a break from the cold of winter in the Northwest. Thanks again to everyone on the board that gave me great Bonaire advice.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/19023350[/vimeo]
http://vimeo.com/19023350

I'm really happy with how the video came out, having the 21 watt canister light and video head was great for bringing out the color on the reef and lighting night dives, even if the TSA did give me weird looks :P. I continue to be amazed by the quality of the ContourHD camera and H2OV housing. There is a learning curve for getting used to shooting without a viewfinder and steading a small hand mounted setup, but I really love the freedom of being able to dive relatively unimpeded by a large camera. The next step we are working on is improving our hand mount, right now it is a velcro strap that can be a bit shaky, I think we may move to using a Goodman handle or other more stable mounting platform. I'd like to keep the one handed operation whatever we do.

I put up some more detailed trip impressions in the planning thread if anyone feels like checking them out you can find them here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14301
Last edited by -Aaron- on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Re: Bonaire Video December 2010

Post by Bric Martin »

Nice job!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Very nice!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks for posting. Have always wondered what Bonaire looked like under the surface!
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Very nice Aaron!
Cheers!

Ron
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for posting! When I get an internet connection that is somewhat more advanced than 1600's technology I will watch it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Nice work! If anyone wants to know about diving in Bonaire - this is the video to watch! A little of everything.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Aaron - just finished watching your video production - well done! Makes me miss Bonaire even more, and +1 for what Octoloco said... if anyone wants a great taste of Bonaire diving this is a great video to watch!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

Very cool... thanks for making me wish even more that our February 18th departure date was tomorrow.
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words :). Editing all the video was a monumental task, but it brings a smile to my face whenever I watch the result and remember a what a great trip we had. We really did get to see an amazing variety of sea life. The one thing I missed out on catching this time was a Frog Fish. I heard Salt Pier is a great place for them, maybe next time it will be open :).

funkydiver, not sure if it is your first trip to Bonaire like it was for me. I have a list I made with the collective recommendations of everyone on the board and my own research. Has stuff like favorite dive sites, some restaurant recommendations, and other basic tips. If you want me to pass it along just shoot me a PM :).
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow!
You captured all that is good in Bonaire!
From the Turtles to the Blue Tang and Octo's and the Night time shots were great with the squid and to hunting Tarpon. And then you finally got some footage of the Barracuda at the Hilma Hooker wreck! Great job!
Was the flip in to the water at Oil Slick?

=D> =D> =D> :highfive: :funky:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I wussed out on a head first entry at Oil Slick and one of you guys does a back flip. I am a poor excuse for a man.

Perhaps I can redeem myself in May.