Post by CaptnJack »

Plan:
Saturday March 26th
Drive up to Anacortes
Slack before ebb at 8:55 on Skyline Wall
Splash 8:30, exit 9:30

Lunch then get in ferry line
Take 1:25 ferry Anacortes-Friday Harbor arrive 2:30
Splash about 3:30 in Smallpox Bay, scooter out around point or just swim the rocks.
Exit about 4:30
Check into motel (have not looked into this yet) & dinner

I cannot see the Spring ferry schedule yet so don't know the timing for arriving Sunday AM.

Sunday 27th
Nak Nek charter
1st dive on Long Island Wall wind/weather permitting. There's a mild +0.7 flood in the AM. Probably splash around 10:30ish
2nd dive at Kurt/Peggy's discretion

Evening ferry back to Anacortes.

Skyline Wall is awesome to swim or scooter. Doubles of 32% if scootering, single of air/EAN32 if you're swimming.

Smallpox Bay is protected from current, more life just outside the bay but there's a -1.7 ebb most of the afternoon so I think outside the bay will be limited to scooter divers.

Long Island Wall is the best of the best. A near sheer wall with some overhangs from 0ft down to 170ft+. Suitable for 32%, 25/25, or 21/35 divers. You don't want air - not enough bottom time to do it justice. Superb scootering and vis is generally good this far away from rivers on a slight flood.

Charter costs $850 and will be split up to 12 ways. Max load is 14 but with doubles and scooters we need to bring a few less people. If we have 12 its $71pp. If we have a few less the price will rise slightly.

There are a variety of motels near the ferry and downtown Friday Harbor ~$60 to $200 or so. Here are some links:
http://www.naknekcharters.com/accommodations

Motel is currently on your own. Depending on what I find for myself and Melody over the next week of so I will send some suggestions.

If you want to go I need $71 per diver by February 1, 2011. You can paypal me (add any fees) or send me a check.

Cancelled due to lack of interest Now git back to Cove2 for practice!
Last edited by CaptnJack on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Re: 4 dives, San Juans March 26-27th, 2011

Post by kitsapdiver »

Once Again I am in. Unless I can find a scooter. It sounds like all the dives are do-able without a scoot, maybe just more enjoyable with one on, especially on skyline wall. Is that accurate?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I'm going to try to pull this trip together. I'll let you know By the end of the Month.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Bump,
Scooters not mandatory, just more fun with them :) Austin you have borrowed Barb's long enough, time to take the plunge for a refurbished X...
Everyone's got another few weeks to get more $$ to me. I have the deposit down on my personal CC so if we don't get minimum 9 I will have to cancel.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

You gotta pick weekends when I'm in town! ;)

That weekend it appears I will be busy with a rather unusual girl's weekend/week where we will be spending vast quantities of times staring at wet rocks.

Still would like to join at some point!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

seainggreen wrote:You gotta pick weekends when I'm in town! ;)
Yeah, I was stuck between crappy tides for "destination" dives and the boat being booked. "Some people" (or shops etc) have actually booked charters on good/better tide weekends 4 or sometimes as many as 8 months ahead. While I know what I'm personally doing as far out as August... For private-ish, book-the-whole-boat charters like this, its tough getting people to think far enough ahead. :queenliz: