Bottom timers

General topics about technical diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Bottom timers

Post by Joshua Smith »

My trusty OMS hockey puck died yesterday. You know, the kind where you can't replace the battery? It served me well- I think I got 2 1/2 years out of it. I might just buy another one, but I don't really like buying disposable gear. Something with a user replaceable battery would be nice. What's everyone else using for redundant depth/time these days?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Bottom timers

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'd think 2.5 yrs was rather bad Josh. I've seen them last more than 10
and almost always 5 yrs.. I've never seen one only last 2.5.
Uwatec relaces them at half the cost of new and I believe they exchange any brand,
I've exchanged several Mares DDG's thru scubapro..
I'd be callin scubapro just to check anyway.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I picked up a xr2 from tacoma scuba for like $200, no nitrox but it has a gauge mode and works great for a back up...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Contact OMS. They have good customer service and will probably replace your unit. They'd want someone like you diving their stuff!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I realize you probably only use your bottom timer as a backup in case the brown stuff hits the fan but it's sure hard to be in the market for a bottom timer and not lust after the new Liquvision Xen. It has dive logging software, PC interface and user replaceable battery. It costs almost twice what the Uwatec one does but considering that it also has a color OLED display It seems likely to take the place of ultimate bottom timer as long as the quality is good.I usually sit back and let others do the testing but in this case I don't think I'll be able to resist getting one as soon as they're available. Oh yeah, and Liquivision is paying me to say that. :joshsmith:

J/K about the paid part
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Waynne Fowler wrote:I'd think 2.5 yrs was rather bad Josh. I've seen them last more than 10
and almost always 5 yrs.. I've never seen one only last 2.5.
Uwatec relaces them at half the cost of new and I believe they exchange any brand,
I've exchanged several Mares DDG's thru scubapro..
I'd be callin scubapro just to check anyway.
Well, putting my gear away after cleaning it this morning, I noticed that the unit had flooded for no apparent reason. At least I know why it stopped working!

On another note- a little sniffing around online makes me suspect that they've been discontinued. Anybody know anything about that?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

they are discontinued, uwatec stopped selling OMS the bottom timer so they stopped selling them. the were just rebranded uwatec
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

keep your wrist mount and buy an Oceanic Veo 100 puck for 150 bucks and run it in gauge mode
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I saw the Liquivision Xen today. The OLED screen was great. Its a small, nice timer, and you can replace the battery.
Last edited by Bric Martin on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

blackwater wrote:I saw the Liquivision Zen today. The OLED screen was great. Its a small, nice timer, and you can replace the battery.

The price would make one consider just getting a second real computer.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Bottom timers

Post by Joshua Smith »

sea2summit wrote:
blackwater wrote:I saw the Liquivision Zen today. The OLED screen was great. Its a small, nice timer, and you can replace the battery.

Yep. I'm not cheap about gear, but 499$ for a bottom timer is kinda hard to swallow. Leaning towards the uwatec tek 2G at the moment

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
sea2summit wrote:

Yep. I'm not cheap about gear, but 499$ for a bottom timer is kinda hard to swallow. Leaning towards the uwatec tek 2G at the moment
If you'd like to try one, I know a guy...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
sea2summit wrote:

you know a guy with an Aladin Tec 2g?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
sea2summit wrote:

you know a guy with an Aladin Tec 2g?
As a matter of fact, I do. ;-)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Joshua Smith wrote:Leaning towards the uwatec tek 2G at the moment
Me too. Only they made minor updates and it's now just an Aladin 2G - no more "Tec".
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I just went to a Tec 2g. So far so good.
Joshua Smith wrote:
sea2summit wrote:

Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Blitz wrote:I just went to a Tec 2g. So far so good.
Joshua Smith wrote:
sea2summit wrote:

Man. ALL the cool kids have one of these things.

Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I am chilly at best....
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Blitz wrote:I am chilly at best....
more like f'n frigid, dude.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Joshua Smith wrote: Well, putting my gear away after cleaning it this morning, I noticed that the unit had flooded for no apparent reason. At least I know why it stopped working!
On another note- a little sniffing around online makes me suspect that they've been discontinued. Anybody know anything about that?
OMS did discontinue them. Uwatec did not. I called SP. And they do trade out any of that style DDG, for about half the cost of a new one so you'd pay about $100ish.
However I'd call OMS to see about a warrenty replacement being that the unit flooded.
Those things are typically bulletproff, I've never even heard of one flooding before.
You do realize ya can't chew on those things.... Right? :)

Good luck Josh. If I can help in any way, let me know. I'd be happy to do anything I can.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Well, putting my gear away after cleaning it this morning, I noticed that the unit had flooded for no apparent reason. At least I know why it stopped working!
OMS did discontinue them. Uwatec did not. I called SP. And they do trade out any of that style DDG, for about half the cost of a new one so you'd pay about $100ish.
However I'd call OMS to see about a warrenty replacement being that the unit flooded.
Those things are typically bulletproff, I've never even heard of one flooding before.
You do realize ya can't chew on those things.... Right? :)

Good luck Josh. If I can help in any way, let me know. I'd be happy to do anything I can.
Thanks a million, Wayne! I really, truly, appreciate the offer! I'll be sending the dead one your way manana!

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Josh UWATEC has been good to me. folded the first one they replaced it with the new model and have since replaced 2 more due to the batteries running out. I will not complain at all about their service.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good to hear. Wayne offered to help me out with my flooded one; I just mailed it to him today!
loanwolf wrote:Josh UWATEC has been good to me. folded the first one they replaced it with the new model and have since replaced 2 more due to the batteries running out. I will not complain at all about their service.

Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

sea2summit wrote:

Hey, sea2summit fancy seeing you here, I didnt know you lived in Washington. Are you going to make it to the Sund rock dive this Saturday It would be great to get to know another felow rEvo diver around here.

Sorry. thread hy-jak.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.