Weird Question...

General topics about technical diving.
Geek
Pelagic

Weird Question...

Post by Geek »

So I was checking out the ice diving video on TDS and it looked very cool... then I started to wonder, If your diving under ice thick ice, thin ice whatever, is the thickness of the ice calculated in your deco planning for depth? I mean, granted, I don't think I'll be diving under 200' of ice but if I were, would you count 200' in addition to your water depth? I was just wondering because the ice is floating on the water, so it follows that you would have the preasure of that ice..

I know, random questions that pop into my head first thing when I get to work.. anyone that has any idea's or guesstamations... or can make up a plausable answer?

:tomnic:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Weird Question...

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geek wrote:So I was checking out the ice diving video on TDS and it looked very cool... then I started to wonder, If your diving under ice thick ice, thin ice whatever, is the thickness of the ice calculated in your deco planning for depth? I mean, granted, I don't think I'll be diving under 200' of ice but if I were, would you count 200' in addition to your water depth? I was just wondering because the ice is floating on the water, so it follows that you would have the preasure of that ice..

I know, random questions that pop into my head first thing when I get to work.. anyone that has any idea's or guesstamations... or can make up a plausable answer?

:tomnic:
Decompression is based on pressure and time. Sea level is still sea level with or without ice.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Geek wrote: then I started to wonder, If your diving under ice thick ice, thin ice whatever, is the thickness of the ice calculated in your deco planning for depth?

Water depth for deco is really equivalent to the pressure of the water on your body at depth (ATA's). Just like Cave Diving, it doesn't really matter how much or how thick the rock (or ice) is over your head, the depth (and deco obligation) is based on the height of the water column (and the pressure it creates on the diver).

We often do our deco in caves by finding a good spot near the entrance where the ceiling is 20' deep and then pin yourself to the ceiling while sucking on an Oxygen cylinder. It keeps you from silting while sitting in one place for so long.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I get it, for some reason I was just thinking ice overhead as vertical preasure coming down instead of total preasure on the water at sea level... I only had 3 cups of coffee so far this morning....

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

In short Geek I think Josh and Scott are right.. but I do see your point.
The regulator use's ambient PSI to regulate the density of the gas we breathe.
The density of the gas we breathe is what determines our deco obligations

It 'seems' that all that ice sitting over the water would increase the ambient PSI, causing the regulator to increase the density of the gas therefore skewing the deco needed. That is a very good question and would be easy to dismiss out of hand as inconsequential. However when we start talking about 100's of feet of ice over 100's of feet of water, off the top of my head it seem's that one may need to take something more into account. As I type I'm thinking also that your depth gauge/computer would be taking the additional weight into it's calculations as they work on the weight of the water also.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea that one may need to adjust the deco when diving under thick (100's of feet) ice, but under the stuff we have around here I wouldn't even imagine it could have an affect.

i understand Scott's comment about the cave, the only difference may be that the rock of the cave is not supported by the water, the ice however is. Could this make a difference?????.. i dunno

Food for thought.
can anyone comment definitively one way or the other?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Waynne Fowler wrote: It 'seems' that all that ice sitting over the water would increase the ambient PSI, causing the regulator to increase the density of the gas therefore skewing the deco needed. That is a very good question and would be easy to dismiss out of hand as inconsequential. However when we start talking about 100's of feet of ice over 100's of feet of water, off the top of my head it seem's that one may need to take something more into account. As I type I'm thinking also that your depth gauge/computer would be taking the additional weight into it's calculations as they work on the weight of the water also.
Hi Waynne,

Remember Archimedes Principal. The Ice, even if 100' thick displaces a volume of water exactly equal to its weight, so it exerts the same weight/square inch that the water would have if present. So the 100' thick sheet of ice would float with about 88' below the surface. At 88' the ice sheet would exert the same 4.93 ATA's that the 88' column of seawater would have if still present (which is actually why it floats).

It's the same story in a cave, where the upward pressure created by the water helps hold up the ceilings of the caves. Many would collapse without the water being present.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I believe boydski has it correct, you can't compress water so any displacement would happen globaly, hense raising water when ice caps melt, in effect if I have it down correctly, even here in the sound we expierence the "pressure" of the polar ice on the ocean

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Doh!

Just like Jesus..... helping the blind see again!

Guess I shoulda had more coffee this morning too
Attachments
jesus blind.jpg
jesus blind.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

9:13, Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six I did. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal. I was terrified, alone in that darkness. Slowly, daylight crept in through the bandages, and I could see. But something else had changed inside of me. That day I had my first headache.

anyone??
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

My new hypothesis: If we're built from Spirals while living in a giant Spiral, then is it possible that everything we put our hands to is infused with the Spiral?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Ummmmm..............

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Waynne Fowler wrote: It 'seems' that all that ice sitting over the water would increase the ambient PSI, causing the regulator to increase the density of the gas therefore skewing the deco needed.
Density of the gas is based on atmospheric pressure. The regulator does not control the density only the flow. When the gas comes out of the 2nd stage it's at ambient pressure that's the pressure that your body is at.

The deco would be based on partial pressure which is based on the mix you are diving and the atmospheric pressure at depth and time. The mix won't change but the PP will increase or decrease based on your depth.
Dave Mitchell
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Burntchef wrote:9:13, Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six I did. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal. I was terrified, alone in that darkness. Slowly, daylight crept in through the bandages, and I could see. But something else had changed inside of me. That day I had my first headache.

anyone??
Have you been :partyman: ? LOL
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Kees
Avid Diver

Post by Kees »

Your depth gauge doesn't really measure depth, it measures pressure. Your gauge is really just an odd sort of pressure gauge that reads in ffw/fsw instead of psi (with unlabeled units, thanks a lot highschool science teachers). If you're under a layer of ice, a boat or a layer of pressurized air (like in a chamber) your gauge is not going to show you how far it is to the surface but how much pressure you have to go through to reach 1atm.
"I can stop any time I want to."
-Airsix on scooter addiction
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Geek - it's all about the pressure. I know nobody has mentioned that here yet, so I wanted to make sure it was clear. It's definitely the pressure. :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Sounder wrote:Hey Geek - it's all about the pressure. I know nobody has mentioned that here yet, so I wanted to make sure it was clear. It's definitely the pressure. :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsSlNFTjxss
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY