Free Photo Workshop?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Free Photo Workshop?

Post by LCF »

Well, I hope I can make the second one -- I'm in Mexico, cave diving, during the dates you've proposed.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I just realized I'm tied up that weekend also. I was so excited too as we're leaving in May on a trip that this photoshop would have come in really handy for. :banghead:
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

I'm going to be there but I'm looking for a place to crash so I won't have to drive back and forth from Olympia. Planning on coming up early on Friday to play around and miss rush hour traffic.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

For those that missed all the fun, a few snaps from today at Alki Junkyard.
Attachments
DSC_2159.jpg
DSC_2162.jpg
DSC_2185.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

love the baby wolfie picture!!!!!!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Thanks again Scott for putting together the workshop. I had a great time and It was nice meeting everyone else who came. Here's a few more photos, this time from Sunday.
Attachments
DSC_2231.jpg
DSC_2214.jpg
DSC_2226.jpg
DSC_2213.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nice shot's James.
I've talked with a few folks that went to this gig and the RAVED about it.
What a really nice thing for Scott to give up so much of his free time to put it together and donate his time.

Maybe one day after I figure out which buttons the power and which button takes pictures I'll be able to attend something like this with someone as photo savvy as Scott.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Waynne Fowler wrote:Nice shot's James.
I've talked with a few folks that went to this gig and the RAVED about it.
What a really nice thing for Scott to give up so much of his free time to put it together and donate his time.
I couldn't agree more, Waynne. I kept thinking . . . "Scott's doing this FOR FREE?"

I had a blast, learned a ton, and thanks to Scott, I am returning to cold-water photography. I had given it up for a while (for a variety of reasons), but now I'm itching to go back in the water and become everyone's nightmare buddy . . . one that goes slower than slow and stops for several minutes at a time to take yet another picture of another nudi. :tomnic:

Although there *was* one big downside to the workshop . . . I want a better camera.

THANK YOU SCOTT!!
Kelly
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

A big thanks to everyone who came out and participated in this photo workshop -- it was a lot of fun, and I think everyone learned something new (even me!). I'm hoping to do another one of these in the coming months, so if you missed the first one, keep an eye on this forum for an announcement.

While I only managed to get one dive in with the camera, a few photos turned out ok...

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Finally got around to my own photos from this weekend. I learned a lot but I was starting out pretty low on the UW photo scale. I used to take a lot of film back in those days with a manual 35mm camera so understood a lot of basic concepts but stretching that around a modern digital (there are SO MANY variations) and taking it UW was a new learning curve. Scott was great about creating a base to work from and handy with ways to accomplish that for individual setups. You really have to know a lot of stuff and he was up to the task.

Friday gave us a good grasp of basics-necessary for those that were there.
Sat. set up particular goals for the day. We were lucky to dodge the 'mud soup' in Elliot Bay and had very serviceable conditions at the Junkyard, along with SUN! After the photo session we retired back to the classroom for photo review and software manipulation. That could well be a class in itself (hint, hint).
Sunday was a fine repeat of Sat. but with less discussion and more diving. Our 2nd dive was interesting. We got in at pretty much full current on a moderate exchange, I'm guessing a half knot, maybe a tad higher. That makes for some challenging diving let alone trying to steady out and take a decent picture. Getting up current was a chore.

Thanks to James directions and a LOT of searching we found the smaller J. Wolf eel on Sunday. It has moved from the original pipe it was in earlier this winter. Joyce has a picture on her site from the previous location.
Here's some pictures. For the full set I've posted them on my photo site:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webUplo ... 5175177729
If any participants want individual shots just let me know.
Swimming An. in current
Swimming An. in current
Instructions before the first photo dive
Instructions before the first photo dive
Getting ready to dive.
Getting ready to dive.
J. Wolf eel in pipe
J. Wolf eel in pipe
My personal thanks to Scott. He went above board for dedication to the community for this class.
It was very nice to get to know some great people from NWDC in this truly amazing sport.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Lundsyd, love the Lumpsucker! I'm still waiting to see my first one. Like the shrimp with the backlighting too. I'm sure everybody here is bored with Hooded Nudi's, but after seeing them for the first time last week, I really want to try backlighting some of them too. Anyway, awesome shots!