dive expo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

dive expo

Post by spudgunman »

I was just looking at the vendor list for the dive expo, having never gone to this is it worth the trip (trip is like 15 miles for me nothing bad) so rephrase is it worth the time?

I see a lot of local vendors and some national ones that would be cool to look at some gear

stuff on sale for this event is it worth buying gear here? etc thoughts, opinions, insults?
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: dive expo

Post by oldsalt »

I will be hiking in Montana with some old Navy friends (either way you read it is correct, old navy or old friends) and will miss it. In addition to gear, there will be representatives from the various dive destinations there as well, if that interests you.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: dive expo

Post by Joshua Smith »

spudgunman wrote:I was just looking at the vendor list for the dive expo, having never gone to this is it worth the trip (trip is like 15 miles for me nothing bad) so rephrase is it worth the time?

I see a lot of local vendors and some national ones that would be cool to look at some gear

stuff on sale for this event is it worth buying gear here? etc thoughts, opinions, insults?

Yeah, it really is worth going to, IMO. I have been there all day every day for the last two years, and I was never bored. I have a lot of friends in the diving world, and this is the only place I've ever been able to visit with pretty much all of them in the same place. There are lots of booths full of stuff to look at, as a side bonus. It's not really about buying gear, more about seeing old friends and making new ones.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Although if you're looking for gear, it's not a bad place to look at lots of options.
Kelly
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I didn't go last year, but I went the year before, and I had a ball. You see so many people, and you get to talk to folks who do charters locally and up in Canada. And you get to see some new stuff the manufacturers are rolling out. I didn't buy anything there, but it was really a fun way to spend a day.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Are they going to be doing the treasure hunt again this year?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dive Monkey wrote:Are they going to be doing the treasure hunt again this year?

all the info is here:
http://divenewsnetwork.com/dive-and-travel-expo.html
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Sunday 9am @ Owens Beach? Not doing the dive but the show is worth going to... Lots to see and Folks to meet... Definitely worth the trip...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

IMHO, as a diver, if you do not come to the Expo you will be making a mistake. In addition to all of the reasons mentioned above, there is a constant "flow" of free seminars dealing with travel, photography, marine life, etc.

Personally, I shall be driving 50+ miles one-way to the Expo in Tacoma each day from Mill Creek and then returning. It's worth it.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

well sounds like I have plans that day! See you guys there :)

someone said at one point they had 50% off tickets, those still around where would I find em?

also this treasure hunt thing, it looks cool is it worth waking up at 0-dark?
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

This will be my first and the wife is even coming!!! I have my slot at the NWDC booth and look forward to seeing some o' you all
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Kelly, the Expo is something you'll truly enjoy.

For those looking for 50% off tickets ... any current DAN member can get them off DAN's website.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spudgunman wrote:well sounds like I have plans that day! See you guys there :)

someone said at one point they had 50% off tickets, those still around where would I find em?

Penelope had them, last I heard. In addition, many dive shops have the half-off coupons- AND, I just got an email from Divers Alert Network that says my DAN membership is good for half price entry- shouldn't be too hard to scare one up.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Anybody been to the treasure hunt before?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spudgunman wrote:well sounds like I have plans that day! See you guys there :)

Penelope had them, last I heard. In addition, many dive shops have the half-off coupons- AND, I just got an email from Divers Alert Network that says my DAN membership is good for half price entry- shouldn't be too hard to scare one up.

here's a coupon you can print out:

expo_coupon_2011.pdf
(187.23 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

IMHO The treasure hunt is down right dangerous. A couple hundred divers shoulder to shoulder scrambeling to get into the water at the same time then trying to scour the bottom for treasure is not my idea of fun!!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Dusty2 wrote:IMHO The treasure hunt is down right dangerous. A couple hundred divers shoulder to shoulder scrambeling to get into the water at the same time then trying to scour the bottom for treasure is not my idea of fun!!
Not to mention its Owens Beach, and I doubt anyone checked to see what the currents look like.....
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

The treasure hunt can be fun. I did it last year and brought my then new to diving girlfriend (although i did put her on a leash). Just be sure you're ok with the possibility of a mask or reg getting knocked off/out and zero vis. Depth is no more than about 35 FSW.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm not sure I'd call it dangerous ... AFAIK, nobody's gotten hurt in that mad melee ... but jumping in the water simultaneously with a couple hundred other divers isn't my idea of a good time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

The expo is the perfect place to meet great people. I'm not really interested in 90% of the vendor offerings, but the other 10% are pretty awesome though. But seriously, it's worth going just for the people. I went last year and met over a dozen people from this club who I'd only known through the board until then. It was well worth the trip for that alone.

Regarding the treasure hunt: One of the great things about it is that a couple hundred divers are all at Owen's Beach which means they are not crowding another site you might choose to dive at that time.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK I dont dive nearly as much as I would like, but the hunt doesn't sound like a very good time to me. I'll pass.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

I am showing compressors again this year. Every year we have done this and the people that buy our show samples save HUNDREDS of dollars. This year we have a small 4.2 SCFM gas portable as well as a larger 8.9 SCFM gas portable and of course some O2 analyzers for our Nitrox customers. I am not sure if there will be any of the trimix analyzers again this year.

I talked with a drysuit company that is handing out 20% off discounts and another exhibitor that has freebies with any major purchase.

So ... YES ... the show is well worth attending!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

We are going to drive the 120 miles to get there each way and it is worth it.

Last year, we went drysuit shopping (myself and another diver) and we put all the shop owners through their paces, :boxer: comparison shopped and then bought suits for screamin deals. Bought a tank (great deal)....can't remember what else we got, maybe nothing after my drysuit purchase :taco:

Yes, there will be great deals!

This year, we are looking at dive computers and travel deals (went to Bonaire in Feb...yea, that whole no-wetsuit diving was pretty awesome) :supz:

Most dive shops, and links posted above are good for 50% off ($10 instead of $20).... But somehow they have a groupon for $9.
http://www.groupon.com/seattle/area/tac ... e=20110405
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Meeting so many awesome people and some delicious gear. Can't wait to meet you tomorrow guys!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Man ... should be a good one! We were still setting up and had lots of people drop by wanting to buy analyzers and stuff before we even had it unpacked! I sure hope they come back tomorrow when we are set up and selling!