Clear Lake, Oregon

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Clear Lake, Oregon

Post by spatman »

Skill Level: All Divers,

Current Sensitive: uh, no. it's a lake.

Location/Directions: Clear Lake Resort on google maps

Free Parking: yes

Staging Area: average, can be crowded on summer weekends

Surface Swim: short

Nearby Facilities: bathrooms, snack bar, camping, rental cabins.
PLEASE NOTE: there are no air fill stations anywhere near this site.

Maximum Depth: not sure, but typical depths are 30-60'

Dive Site Description: unbelievably clear water, with viz well over 150'. i've heard that on some days you can see across the entire lake while at depth!

there's barely any life in the lake, though we did see a few trout here and there. the lake itself is almost like another planet, with light gray ash covering the lake bed which can easily be disturbed and create huge clouds if not careful. a few sparse fallen logs are scattered about and still standing trees rise up from the floor to just under the surface of the lake. swaths of bright green algae carpet large portions of the bottom, and the springs that feed the lake can be found here and there, often in small depressions in the lakebed.

some great pics in this thread.
Last edited by spatman on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
divernick
Aquaphile

Re: Clear Lake, Oregon

Post by divernick »

A word on the snack bar/facilities at the resort: If you go during the winter, they may be closed. I did a winter trip there a few years back, we had access to the water, but that's about all. Of course the ownership/management of the resort changed hands recently, so I could just be blowing hot air now. Maybe NiceDiver or Narcosis Junky can chime in on whether I made a liar of myself.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

lake is open year round, boat ramp is now closed to divers, cabins are open most of the year...like valentines weekend, would assume the lodge is only a summer thing
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Dove here on Sunday, nice fun dive in 437-40 degree temps.....
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

oregondiver wrote:Dove here on Sunday, nice fun dive in 437-40 degree temps.....
is that a star date or a new kind of temp reading
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

He might mean 43.7 - 40 degrees.
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nah. It's a star date.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

And oregondiver is a she. :prayer:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:And oregondiver is a she. :prayer:
Did the Ta Tas give her away? :eric:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

My wife and I are diving this lake in August, possibly sooner. Will update with photos if I can get any from my GoPro.
pusbag
Getting To Know Folks

Post by pusbag »

Hey lowdrag let me know when and maybe me and my wife will meet you there. Have never dived clear lake but want to .
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

pusbag wrote:Hey lowdrag let me know when and maybe me and my wife will meet you there. Have never dived clear lake but want to .
Sorry PB...I did not see this post. We went three weekends back but did not dive. We had some gear issues that prevented us from making any dives. We will be going back again in February though.