RIB Advice

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

RIB Advice

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Well, being the opportunist that I am, I find myself in possesion of a 1997 Rendova 14' RIB with a center console, sonar/fishfinder, and a 03 50hp Yamaha four stroke with electric start and trim/tilt. I came across an ad on CL yesterday, and the price was for the whole kit was less than the value of the outboard alone so I bought it. Now I'm trying to see how viable this thing would be as a dive boat. First, the trailer is WAY too big - as in tandem axle, for about a 20 footer or so. So I'll need to find an appropriate sized trailer and sell the one it came with. Mechanically the boat and motor seem sound so far, it's the tubes I'm more concerned about. On one side of the boat there is a spot about 4 inches in diameter that has been patched - cant tell how big the hole is without removing the patch. I'm not sure, but i think the material is hypalon. So my question is how difficult is it to find/patch holes? Are there professional outfits out there that can do patch jobs for a reasonable price? Would it be feasable to buy a new set of tubes or would that be outlandishly expensive? I'm trying to keep this project on a budget, but I think it would make a pretty kick ass dive platform for 2-3 divers.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: RIB Advice

Post by CaptnJack »

New tubes are pretty pricy, for that probably about $7-8K. New trailer will probably be $1k.

Patching is fairly easy to do yourself although hypalon (what your probably have) is more difficult than PVC. You absolutely need the correct material/glue to make it work well. Be careful peeling off the existing patch so that you don't damage the underlying fabric any more than the puncture that's already there. You can delaminate the fabric and create a bigger problem.

There are 2 inflatable boat places in Ballard in the 2400 block of Market Street. Almost across the street from one another. Either could redo the repair or set you up with appropriate materials and instructions to DIY.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

7-8K? yikes, that's definitely out. I do think that the tubes can be repaired though. So to find leaks do I just spray the whole thing down with soapy water or what?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:7-8K? yikes, that's definitely out. I do think that the tubes can be repaired though. So to find leaks do I just spary the whole thing down with soapy water or what?

That's what I do. If you have one of those weed sprayers you can fill with soapy water it works well.

I've only patched the 12' Soft bottom boat. On the tubes I always use the real hypalon patch stuff, but in a pinch one time I glued one to the bottom with E6000 and then just laid a bead around the edge on the outside. It's been there 2 seasons now and seems to be fine.

When are we going to the fingers?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Congrats, Matt!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Here's a pic of what it looks like before some elbow grease. The back part of the top of the engine cowl needs a little paint. Other than that the motor looks really clean.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Cool it ought to get along pretty good. They make good dive boats. Repairs aren't all that hard. They have kits you can get that have the patches precut and glue and all. Make sure you clean the spot really good with something take will remove any silicone, wax or oils that might have been used then rough it up a bit with scotch bright, put the glue on both surfaces wait till it gets tacky and slap it together. Just e careful not to get any air bubbles under the patch cause once it's down it's there forever. Those tubes will last a loooooong time and can be patched allot along the way and still perform just like new.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Good to hear Dusty. I made a few phone calls and from what I'm being told it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get this thing into workable shape. After seing BJ/Joe's boat I now know that a RIB can consist enirely of patches and still float :neener: Unfortunately I won't be able to do much until i can find a suitable trailer for it. I'm looking on CL but not finding anything for a decent price that looks like it'd do the trick.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

This place http://www.rib.net/ is an excellent resource for all things RIB. They seem to be pretty friendly, even to us yankees. I am going to be the proud owner of a 5.4m Avon Searider here in the near future. We should hook up for an outing some time.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Way cool Matt! Leave the engine ugly until you try to sell it, that way others are less likely to want it for themselves. I'll see if there are any appropriate trailers at my sailing club, they seem to accumulate faster than they can be deposed of.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Hypolan tubes can last for years, the tubes on my rib are pushing 35years old. Just make sure to not let them overinflate (3# max) , keep them out of sunlight and keep a coat of 303protectant on them.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Matt,

A little off topic, but did you ever dive out of your smaller one?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Matt,

A little off topic, but did you ever dive out of your smaller one?
Yes I did. It's fine for two divers, single tank, dead boat, but alot of the targets I have in mind require either tech gear/scooters or live boat. that's where 2 extra feet make all the difference in the world. Also I'm pumped to have a steering console and the rigid hull for the longer hauls. My 12' inflatable can haul ass on calm water but it can become a PITA in big waves. This new one should be just big enough that i can take it out to Neah Bay. It looks like I may have located someone who'll trade me straight across for a smaller, more appropriate sized trailer. Once I get that done I can see what I'm looking at for patchwork.

Upon closer inspection the tubes seem to be in pretty decent shape. The problem seems to be the shoddy patchwork itself. I can't wait to see what this thing'll do in the water. 50HP ought to move it pretty good :taco:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Update: I have gotten ahold of a different trailer. Now I can take a look at whatever patchwork is necessary. Besides being worn through in one spot the rub rail really is the ugliest part of the boat. It's worn and brittle and broken in places. The tubes look good where they haven't been tampered with. Does anyone konw where I can buy a new rub rail by the foot? I haven't yet decided whether to try and install it myself or get it done professionally but i'd like to know the cost and my searches are coming up short.

I am having a really hard time coming up with any information on Rendova boats. Apparently, they are a now out of business builder that specialized in higher end yacht tenders. Some guys (in internet for sale ads) claim to have spent close to 30k :eek: for fully outfitted versions of this boat brand new. I have a hard time believing this but if it turns out to be a good boat I wouldn't mind spending a few $$ to make it look nice.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Update

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Well, I found a guy who worked at achilles for 17 years and has his own business now to help me with some of the patchwork. He came highly recommended and did a really good job for not alot of money :partydance: . Next I sold the big trailer and bought a newer more appropriately sized one for the same price. I also installed a swing tongue, so I can fit it in my garage with having to park it diagonally. Tap plastics made me a new windscreen and Lowes supplied the rubber matting to protect the floor. The priciest upgrade were the electronics, I installed a Lowrance HDS-7 complete with structure scan last week. I took it out yesterday and ran it for about 35 miles in 1-2 ft chop and it performed great - 32mph top speed/27mph cruise. The gas gauge didn't even budge (yes it works). I had a tough time configuring the side scan to give me the images I wanted so maybe I should go read the instructions :tomnic: I still haven found a great solution to keeping gear from bouncing around when it gets rough, gotta work on that. All in all I'm really pleased with the result. The boat is nothing to tow, fits in my garage, can handle some relatively decent sized seas (compared to it's own size) and I spent less on it total than a brand new scooter.

Here are some pics of the final product:

Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Nice!!!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

spatman
I've Got Gills

RIB Advice

Post by spatman »

Nice job, Matt. That's a great looking boat.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

RIB Advice

Post by Rockfish »

http://www.ecpdb.com/rollcontrol.htm

My buddy put these in his boat it might work for you.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Matt, your boat is sweet! I really like the fiberglass interior. I hope to see some good trip reports with your new way to reach divesites.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Looks good Matt!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Have you thought about budgeting to install a VHF radio or are you just planning on using a handheld?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thats one nice lookin rig. Ya stole that one for sure. All you need now is some tank racks and a front bench with storage box and your in business.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Thanks guys, so far the I've just laid the scuba rigs in the bottom with neporene lifevests wrapped around them. It works fairly well until you hit a really big wave. Then it would be nice to have things strapped down. As far as the radio goes, I think I'll just go with a handheld unit for the time being. Most of the places I go I'd only use it to hail another boat if it's already tied up to a buoy.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Thanks guys, so far the I've just laid the scuba rigs in the bottom with neporene lifevests wrapped around them. It works fairly well until you hit a really big wave. Then it would be nice to have things strapped down. As far as the radio goes, I think I'll just go with a handheld unit for the time being. Most of the places I go I'd only use it to hail another boat if it's already tied up to a buoy.
Keep the batteries charged, VHF is still the fastest way to reach the coast guard.

Great looking boat, nice work.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

dsteding wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:Thanks guys, so far the I've just laid the scuba rigs in the bottom with neporene lifevests wrapped around them. It works fairly well until you hit a really big wave. Then it would be nice to have things strapped down. As far as the radio goes, I think I'll just go with a handheld unit for the time being. Most of the places I go I'd only use it to hail another boat if it's already tied up to a buoy.
Keep the batteries charged, VHF is still the fastest way to reach the coast guard.

Great looking boat, nice work.
A cell phone will reach the Coast Guard however it will not reach the boat 500 yards away that is most likely to be the closest help.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/