Barview / Garibaldi Report

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Barview / Garibaldi Report

Post by Beefcake »

Alright, I finally got wet today (first time this year). A buddy and I hit the Barview Jetty this afternoon at high-slack. Vis was horrible (1-2' until below 30', then 3-4' on the bottom; had to turn on my light at 35'). The good news is that there are a ton of big crabs right at the base of the jetty (I was mid-jetty, well inside of the CG tower, 52' max depth). I didn't see any rockfish (usually find them suspended at 18-25'), and I missed a shot at the only big ling I saw, but I was excited to see so many crab in one spot (I've never seen that many at the base of the jetty; I think the fresh water must have flushed them all out of the bay; they were just lucky that I had a light in one hand and a speargun in the other, or I would have come home with an easy limit).

For anyone that hasn't dove here, be careful on the rocks! The entry and exit are dangerous (huge slippery boulders). However, there is a lot to see without swimming far.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: Barview / Garibaldi Report

Post by ORDiver »

I haven't dove here since they completed the capping project. Did that make the entry any easier at all? Any harder? I think I need to go crabbing and check it out.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Re: Barview / Garibaldi Report

Post by Beefcake »

I had never dove the mid-jetty before, so I can't say if the entry is different than before. I think most of the work was out at the end, but the surge was too big to enter beyond the CG tower.