Wrist Mount Slates & Misc

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Wrist Mount Slates & Misc

Post by ashitaka666 »

First I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about the item below.

Secondly, I'm looking a decent quality/affordably priced quick disconnect I can latch onto my D ring for my camera.
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Wrist Mount Slates & Misc

Post by nwbobber »

I have something like that. I tried using it, but frankly I thought it was in the way. I like having wet notes in a pocket. It's out of the way, but it's there if I need to use it (very infrequently). So, do you have apocket?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

nwbobber wrote:I have something like that. I tried using it, but frankly I thought it was in the way. I like having wet notes in a pocket. It's out of the way, but it's there if I need to use it (very infrequently). So, do you have apocket?
+1

I thought it was a great idea until I started wearing my compass on every dive. So I have a compass on one wrist and a computer on the other, so . . . no more space.
Kelly
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

+1 more on wet notes, I tried one of those, hated it.

As for the QD for your camera these work quite well. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 2985764601

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

The arm-notes are great for classes where you expected to write a lot of stuff down.

for example the first 4-6 dives in tec and other classes, students have to keep track of a lot of stuff and communicate back to me, so these are awesome for keeping on the bottom of your wrist and compass on the top (at the same position)..

In real-life diving, you rarely use them and these get in the way. Also, these o-ring-hinge specific one's are not what I would recommend, they have a weak on the hinges where the o-rings attach and these hinge-clips have broken on more than one occasion and then the "pages" just flap around during the dive and will also eventually break off. There are a couple of newer manufacturers that use a different "bungee" design that works great though

That being said, a -1 on these slates and a big +1 on wet notes! you rarely have to really write stuff down and having wet notes in your pockets are great for that, plus its like $5 for a refill of pages.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

My fav wrist slate is this one http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/slates/ac2061

no funky o=ring hinges to foul

and they're great when you know you're gonna need to make notes quick and with little fuss.
However most of the time we can communicate with hand signals, so while when we're new communication seems like it might be easier to write down... it is not and in short order we put the slates away and take them when we 'KNOW' we'll need them. We carry the wetnotes for those occasions when handsignals just aren't cutting it, or those unexpected times when we wanna jot down a little note.
I'm partial to wetnotes set up something like this:

Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Thanks guys that helps a lot. The reason why I thought about getting a wrist slate is I'm doing some nav on some sites and I like to jot down landmarks/Heading Degree while I'm diving so I can find the same place again and at the same time it allows me to memorize the area a lot easier to the point where I won't need the notes and can pass them along to somebody who might need them.
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nice Shawn... that's a great idea and if I were in your shoes I'd look to use a wrist slate for that as you'll be writing off and on several times and may want to make a few more notes on the fly.... wrist slates make for a quick place to write notes without having to dig in a pocket 2x for each note (once out, once in).
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Exactly what I was thinking XD.

Anyways see ya today at 600 Wayne!
Ashi's Photo Gallery