Pony Bottle Questions

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
NinjaDiver
Just Settling In

Pony Bottle Questions

Post by NinjaDiver »

I am building a pony rig and would like some of your thoughts about set up. I am thinking about either a button guage or an SPG on a short hose. I am also wondering what length LP hose to use bewteen the 1st & 2nd stages. I have a 30cft bottle and quick draw bracket. Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. :supz:
Vince (aka NWBoiler, NinjaDiver, Tiggerman, and many more unmentionables). Dive safe!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I tried the button guage- I couldn't read the dang thing underwater, so I put a real spg on a 6" hose on it, which I like. I ended up slinging mine, and I really prefer it to back mounting. It just hangs there, and you hardly know it's there in the water! Plus, I can reach the valve, read the pressure, and access the regulator easilly.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I dive a 19, and currently use the quickdraw bracket. It has worked great, with absolutely no problems. I love my pony.

However, I too am getting ready to switch to a long hose primary and necklaced secondary, and will be slinging my pony. I'm not sure how the 30 works with the quickdraw bracket... it is bigger than my 19.

If there's anyway you can dive with the set up before you purchase it that is always best. I'd be happy to loan you my quick draw for a test spin, but I think there are specific ones to a 13, 19, and 30... dont' think they are interchangeable.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think Tom might have a quick draw bracket for sale sometime in the very near future too. =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
NinjaDiver
Just Settling In

Post by NinjaDiver »

I have the Q/D bracket and 30cft bottle... just trying to figure out the rest.
Vince (aka NWBoiler, NinjaDiver, Tiggerman, and many more unmentionables). Dive safe!!
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Re: Pony Bottle Questions

Post by Curt McNamee »

NinjaDiver wrote:I am building a pony rig and would like some of your thoughts about set up. I am thinking about either a button guage or an SPG on a short hose. I am also wondering what length LP hose to use bewteen the 1st & 2nd stages. I have a 30cft bottle and quick draw bracket. Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. :supz:
Why not set this up as a stage bottle? This would give you an excellent opportunity to practice your first step towards advanced nitrox and deco.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com