2 Tank Dive Charter out of Newport this Saturday (4/30)

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

2 Tank Dive Charter out of Newport this Saturday (4/30)

Post by -Aaron- »

I just signed up for a charter dive out of Newport this Saturday (4/30). Sounded like they have a few spaces left, so I thought I would pass the information along to the board. Commercial dive charter operations on the Oregon coast are pretty rare in my experience, so if people have been wanting to check out offshore this might be a good opportunity. The weather forecast looks pretty nice for Saturday, but I'd leave it to someone with more experience to comment on the marine forecast. I had a chance to dive out of Newport last weekend and we had amazing visibility (30+ feet).

Here are the details. Boat begins loading at the Newport Marina at 6:30 with a 7:00 departure time. Will be a two tank dive day, probably plan on taking most of the day. Cost is $75 per person, bring your own lunch, snacks, water, etc. Sounds like some people will be spearfishing on the trip and some just diving. I'm hoping to get some good video to supplement what I shot last weekend. The trip is being organized through one of the shops in Salem, the contact is Justin Rochefort at 503-400-7375. I'm not affiliated with the shop, just going along on the trip. Be nice to fill out a boat and encourage more companies to run scuba trips off the Oregon coast :).
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: 2 Tank Dive Charter out of Newport this Saturday (4/30)

Post by guitarmaker »

I'll be real curious as to the ocean conditions for Saturday and how the boat ride is as the forecast looks to be rougher than what we had last week. I agree tho, it would be great to have some charters operating off our coast.

Have a great trip bud, look forward to your report and videos!

Ron
Cheers!

Ron
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Yes hopefully the boat fills up.
I signed up for this trip as soon as I saw it and I hope to see more charters lined up out of Newport.
Getting the chance to dive someplace "wild" will be very cool.

Come on Oregon divers fill up these last couple spots!

(I am not affiliated with the shop just a diver)
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I agree we need to fill this charter. Unfortunately I can't go this weekend. I did however let 250+ people know about it.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

more than 2 days notice would have helped. maybe next time...
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

I'll be real curious as to the ocean conditions for Saturday and how the boat ride is as the forecast looks to be rougher than what we had last week.
Ron, yeah I think the ocean will be a bit rougher, we will be on a larger boat though (10 person capacity plus crew), so I hoping that will mellow things out a bit. I'm looking forward to making the video, everyone is always asking about offshore in Oregon, will be nice to have something to show them :).
I signed up for this trip as soon as I saw it and I hope to see more charters lined up out of Newport.
Hey FlyinV, be nice to meet you tomorrow. Come up and say Hi is you see me. I'll be wearing the same blue and black DUI suit I have in my profile and my name is Aaron, so it makes it easy :P. Should be a fun trip, if you haven't been offshore yet I think you will pleasantly surprised at the density of life and hopefully the visibility ;).
Unfortunately I can't go this weekend. I did however let 250+ people know about it.
Selkie, too bad you can't make it out. I've been reading your helpful posts on the Oregon boards since I first signed up, would have been nice to get a chance to meet. Thanks for passing the word on.
more than 2 days notice would have helped. maybe next time...
spatman, yeah I just found out about the trip myself, I signed up on Thursday night. If I hear about trips in the future I'll try to pass them along with more notice. We should try and meet up soon, I haven't seen you or Dave since our Barview->Three Graces->Netarts dive site shuffle :P.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Excellent Aaron! I look forward to picking your brain about shore (and boat) diving off the Oregon coast.

While I love diving in Hood Canal and the sound and will continue to dive there for a very long time, I am really looking for places people don't dive very often to see more critters and underwater wildness.

Oregon Coast seems like it must fit this exactly since shore diving is hard and charters are rare unless you know someone with a decent boat :)

I am also dragging along my HD video set up but I am a beginner with it so we will see.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Thanks Arron, Maybe next time.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

-Aaron- wrote:spatman, yeah I just found out about the trip myself, I signed up on Thursday night. If I hear about trips in the future I'll try to pass them along with more notice. We should try and meet up soon, I haven't seen you or Dave since our Barview->Three Graces->Netarts dive site shuffle :P.
i hope to be out there more often this summer. we'll let you know when we're out your way.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Epic day on the water, 40-45 foot vis and blue skies :O. Some of the best dives I've done on the coast, it felt like I was in the Channel Islands, but with more life :). I'll post a full trip report with my video once I get a chance to sift through and edit it all. Thanks to Justin for organizing it and everyone that came out. We will need to go again soon :).
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Thats great Aaron, looking forward to your trip report and video. Did you guy's dive near where we dove last Friday? BTW, while you guy's were out enjoying some epic Oregon coast viz, I was home doing the annual spring yard clean up and rebuilding a water feature. Yeah, I would have rather been diving!!! I'm jealous to say the least!
Cheers!

Ron
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

sweet, glad u had a great dive. Viz like that doesn't happen that often.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

They scheduled another charter for July 23rd. Same contact info.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17