MMM 5/2

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

MMM 5/2

Post by Paulicarp »

MMMy my my, it's almost Monday!

water and breathable compressed gas required, visibility, as usual, is optional.

who's in?

Don't know what MMM is? look here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12412
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: MMM 5/2

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm in for dive 1, due to poor planning, in backmount.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

cool- Dive 1 4:00 p.m. splash!

Now who's gonna show for dive 2 at 6:30?
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Darn, I'm going to miss this one.... because I am in MAUI! :)
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I think this Monday is going to be a bit too busy with the new remodel I'm starting.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Tides don't look that bad, want to do the clay walls for dive 1?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oooh -- clay walls! That might be enough to get me and Peter to pack gear . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I'll pass on this one. Gotta be with wife on her bowling party.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

wallz it iz! :supz:
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

nice dive on the walls- found the BIG gpo. Jake got pics/vid. Peter and Lynn got in right when we were getting out, hopefully they found it too!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I was very nervous about doing this dive . . . I had done all the research I knew how, and could not for the life of me figure out how Jake thought the currents were good for the site. And then we got there at 4:10, to discover Jake and Pauli were already underwater (no patience, those two) and we weren't even dressed yet. If they were having a good dive a half hour before us, the likelihood we'd have a good dive, too, seemed remote. Not only that, but the wind was blowing, and there were small waves at the shore, and the very shallow viz looked awful. I almost chickened out.

But our friends didn't surface and abort, which suggested the current was at least manageable, and I thought nothing could be quite as bad as the day Kirk and I got in the water at DIW 45 minutes early (and nothing has been, and tonight was no exception) so the worst that was going to happen was that we would get in the water and scrub the dive three minutes later, and make land at the boat launch.

So we tried.. And as we entered, the other team exited, and told us the current wasn't at all bad but the viz was, and that there was an octo in the wall. They were right -- no current to speak of for the first 25 minutes. We swam down over the shallow wall, which I marked at 31 feet for future reference, and down to the deep wall, where we found a scattering of gunnels, an assortment of sea stars, and one large GPO. My camera battery died about 20 minutes into the dive (sad, because that's part of why we were there) but we kept going until the current began to pick up and I got worried, and turned the dive. We swam upslope to 31 feet and headed north, hoping to find the shallow wall, which we never did, and we eventually gave up and swam in. We surfaced to find the wind had picked up, and so had the waves; with Peter's help, I did what I thought was a rather neat job of making it out on my feet.

I do not understand the currents there at all . . . this was a big exchange day, and we dove at the end of the flood but well before the 6 pm or so slack, and we had virtually no current. If someone can explain that, I would be much obliged.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sorry Lynne, if I should have give you guys a call to see if you were just running behind, but I took from your post that you guys were a maybe. At least there were two of you, and it sounds like you got a good dive in anyway! Charge your battery and I'll find another day to get back to the wall in the next week or so.

I never said the currents would be "good" I said "not that bad". :angelblue: If you look at the admiralty inlet current prediction yesterday, http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/adm/2011-05-02 you can see that at 1600 the current was supposed to be a ~2kts, but according to Fishnaller, you use the same prediction as for EUP, so you get to add around :45, bringing the current down to around 1.5kts and weakening during the dive. It's been my experience that incoming tides don't cause quite the currents that outgoing tides do there. I wouldn't have tried a 1.5kt prediction if the tide was going out, that's where you wind up crawling upslope. :angry:

I'll hopefully be able to post my video tonight, but that is far and away the biggest octo I've ever seen. Pauli and I had a bit of surface current, and the vis above 20' was pretty ugly, though not as ugly as last week. Below 20' I'd say it was 10-15' most of the time, and current at the wall was almost non-existent. We had a nice 40 minute dive on the wall slowly moving along, checking out all of the little shrimp, gunnels, clams, and pregnant kelp crabs what have made the wall home. We came across the octo in a rather large den, and turned the dive at that point. We did a pretty square profile, with an average depth around 65'. All in all, a great dive! Thanks pauli!

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Ahhh...the Mukilteo walls....where I go to calm down with life and get my head together. I'm overjoyed to hear that a GPO has taken up residence - it has been a good long while since that has happened there.

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad that you had good dives!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

trevorrowe wrote:Darn, I'm going to miss this one.... because I am in MAUI! :)

...so how was Maui Monday Madness? Pics or it didn't happen :)