Diving Long Island on Sunday.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Diving Long Island on Sunday.

Post by shavedheadphil »

I'm looking for more info on the Long Island site. I've read the posts in the dive site listings and I'm very excited to see what's awaiting me! Any tips or hints would be helpful. Thanks! Oh, Trip is scheduled with Bandito charters out of Friday Harbor. Not sure if there's any more room on the boat...
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Diving Long Island on Sunday.

Post by BillZ »

Long Island wall is a great dive site - one of the best in the San Juans.

The main draw of the site is the strawberry anemone's which are relatively rare in the San Juans.

The dive itself is not very difficult on the right exchange - and if Kurt is taking you there it means that the exchange is right. Kurt and Peggy know the site better than anyone so they can give you the best advise as to where to find the cool stuff.

Have fun!

Bill
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

are you swimming or scootering?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Hopefully just falling off the Naknek! Swimming ...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It sure seems like a big exchange for Long Island Wall, but I'd trust the NakNek crew more than my scanty experience with the site.

If you're doing the same wall we did, it's pretty sheer, and has interesting stratified life zones. The top 50 or so feet are kelp, rockfish, and the other critters that live in the kelp holdfasts. From there down to about 100 feet is a zone of metridium anemones, sculpins and nudibranchs. Below that, we found an area of fascinating sponges in various shapes and colors.

It was a wonderful dive, but very current-intensive. If they put you on that site, you'll be there at the right time, and have a ball.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

LCF wrote:It sure seems like a big exchange for Long Island Wall, but I'd trust the NakNek crew more than my scanty experience with the site.....

It was a wonderful dive, but very current-intensive. If they put you on that site, you'll be there at the right time, and have a ball.
Yeah, that was my thinking too so i called Kurt. He assures me it's be good. If not...it'll be a cool drift dive! I'm signed up with Raptor and a bud of his.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:It sure seems like a big exchange for Long Island Wall, but I'd trust the NakNek crew more than my scanty experience with the site.
Can be done throughout the flood which starts at 10:51 and ends at 17:39. If I were doing it off an anchored boat I'd aim for a smaller exchange but off a live boat any flood will do. :) You don't want to be here on an ebb, there's a jet of water coming out of San Juan channel which just blasts the wall.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

It's a spectacular dive. one of my favorite parts was zenning out during deco with my head in the "shrubs"... the macro life was mind boggling. Few places are this robust with life and it's because the current is like a blow torch much of the time!

be safe, have fun, take a camera!

g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Thanks for all the Info! I'm sure its going to be a blast!
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Yesterday was AWESOME! I would have to give Bandito Charters a 10! Long Island wall dive was great with tons to see and great vis, fun currents. Point George was equally impressive with schools of fish and covered in Puget Sound King Crab... Beautiful weather rounded everything out very nicely and a great bunch of people on the boat.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

That was a great day. It was good to see some old friends and meet some new ones. I wouldn't have been there if you hadn't started this thread. I unexpectedly found that Sunday was open and called Naknek Saturday afternoon to ask if there was a spot open on the boat.

Kurt and Peggy from Naknek have been encouraging people to park in Anacortes and walk on with their gear. I tried that for the first time and it worked well. Their boat is like maybe 300 feet from the ferry landing in Friday Harbor. Caught the 8:30 out of Anacortes, got in two dives off the Naknek with time to have a beer at the Crab House in Friday Harbor before catching the 4:30 back home. I left my shipmates who took their cars behind, they had to catch the next boat home due to their place in line. :neener:
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

Twas a gorgeous weekend. Went up Saturday with the family and came back Monday.

Saw a lot of San Juan beauty above and below the water...

DSC_2278.jpg
DSC_2302.jpg
IMG_2814.jpg
DSC_2423.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg
IMG_2508-Edit.jpg
IMG_2517.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, my goodness, where DID you find a fox? Those are ALL gorgeous photos, BTW . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

LCF wrote:Oh, my goodness, where DID you find a fox? Those are ALL gorgeous photos, BTW . . .
Told the wife we'd be lucky to see a Bald Eagle or Black Fox and EXTREMELY lucky to get a photo of them...

Turns out they're plentiful on the south end of the island near South Beach Park...