Three Tree N. Again?! Friday 2-23-07

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Three Tree N. Again?! Friday 2-23-07

Post by BASSMAN »

Yes! \:D/ :wav:
Tom-Nic and myself will be there on 2-23-07, Friday, for a meet time :occasion5: @ 3:00pm , splash :toimonster: around 3:30pm for two dives. anyone who wants to join in is welcome. Just remember the limmited parking issue.

If you think you can come, post something here.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic might have to thumb this dive due to flu symptoms.

Anyone else want to join in on this dive?

Three Tree or Redondo?

Anyone? Anyone? Hello?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

NO! Tom!!! :vom: #-o

You'd better get well soon! I need my mid-week dive buddy!!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm actually borderline... Still may do the dive.

(WARNING - OLD GUY TALKING ABOUT HIS ACHES AND PAINS COMING UP)

Yesterday I had a pin point spot on my throat that hurt to swallow, and pain in my ear and ear canal. Otherwise I was OK. I started penicillin and woke up today feeling MUCH better, no soreness or pain. I'm continuing on medication, checking things out and IF I don't have any sinus issues and IF I can get a loaner reg (do I really want to use a rental reg? :vom: Hey, I just realized that with that statement I've become an official equipment snob!) I'll probably go.

Speaking of which, when are you and the Missus diving, Doug? Want company? If I promise not to breathe on you? Do you have your dive plans for next week yet? My regular buddy is galavanting off to Mexico :axe: so I have to figure out a cool dive to do while he's gone! (That'll teach him not to invite me!) :toimonster:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I don't know yet where Erica and I are diving Sunday... don't you have to work Sundays?!

Next week I don't have my week-DAY plan yet, but PinkPadiGal wanted to join in too. I'll look at the tides and see if there are any great opportunities otherwise we can hit one of the regulars.

Get better man!!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks, and Yes, I work Sundays! \:D/ However, I'm usually done and available by 2 or 3 most Sundays when I don't have something in the evening scheduled!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

3TN on Wednesday...I can't wait!!! WHOO HOO!!! :partyman:

Tides look pretty favorable until about 230pm or so. I need to drop Robbie (my 2 year old) at daycare around 830am, and then we are diving!!!\:D/
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Wednesday works for me. Tom? Course, if Tom gets slapped by the real flu (which antibiotics WON'T help) it'll probably just be the two of us.

I'm going to pick up a 2-Gig memory card today so I can take even MORE video!!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wednesday is a no dive day for me... lots of commitments. In fact this week might be hard to impossible if we don't dive Monday or Tuesday because I have out of town commitments Thursday to Saturday.

Keith and I ended up doing one dive Friday. Could have done two, but with my body fighting crud I figured it was best to not push it.

The tide was WAY low... as low as I've ever seen it. Viz was 20 ft, but only deeper than 35 - 40 fsw. Shallow viz isn't the greatest... water stirred up by current, no doubt. We had a SHORT surface swim to the second buoy to the north, dropped to 72 fsw (normally 80+) and traversed a bit of territory we don't normally dive before heading in to our normal 50fsw range for a north dive. I'd like to go deeper here sometime when I'm diving 130's! \:D/

We saw a couple of ling nests guarded by smallish lings. Always happy to see that reproduction going on... more cool stuff to see and dive with in the future! I wonder when they start laying? I've noticed a huge size difference in the amount of eggs layed by the different size fish - logical, of course - and a good reason to NOT harvest the monster lings.

Hope you guys have a great dive Wed!

-Tom
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Could I join you on Wednesday? None of my regular buddies are available and I NEED to dive. It's been 18 days!!! Well, actually I dove today but it was with an OW class so not much diving happened...
Anyway, would you mind if I showed up to dive with you? I can be there by 9am.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm... well I'm open Tuesday OR Wednesday. If Tom's slammed this week, then he and I can plan another dive for the following week... but, if Amy and WylerBear are available Tuesday then we could move it.

For now, I'll be at 3TN Wednesday morning between 8-8:30am with Amy and hopefully a new Portland friend!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Can't be there Tuesday but will plan on being there as early as I can on Wednesday morning (8:30-9am) unless someone posts differently.
Wahoo! Going diving!
Georgia

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Done. Wednesday it is. Sorry Tom, we'll have to do something the following week... you'll be well by then anyway. :partyman: I don't think I can break away Tuesday.

So WylerBear, do you know how to get to 3 Tree North? It's quite the haul from Portland! :prayer: You must REALLY need to dive!!!

Bring 2 tanks. I think our first dive should be to the south boat (I don't think Amy has been there yet either) - Tom Nic and I recently videoed anemone spawning there and I made a fun video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVofejfNNw The second dive usually is the "junk yard" which ranges from 35-50fsw. 3TN is one of my favorite dive sites... though now it falls to 3rd behind Day Island Wall and Patos Island (in good weather).

Let me know if you need directions, and my phone number is 206-919-5545 if you get lost.

Amy, you still in for Wednesday?! :bounce:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder wrote: 3TN is one of my favorite dive sites...
It is also one of my favorites-I've dove there many times but thanks for the kind offer of help finding it.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and Amy.

I'll PM you my phone number.

See you Wednesday.
Georgia

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

You guys have a great time!

Doug, I'm well, but my schedule is not. Let's talk about a 2 or 3 tanker Tuesday the 6th. I have a wedding later in the week so the schedule will not be cooperating. Could do Monday the 5th if we do morning.

-Tom Nic
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder wrote:You must REALLY need to dive!!!
And I ALWAYS really need to dive. Can't wait! \:D/
Georgia

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder (& Amy if you are still coming),
I'm keeping an eye on the weather. We're supposed to get snow overnite. This does not neccessarily mean I won't come but wanted to let you know that I'm concerned. I will definitely call Sounder if I'm not going to show up.
Georgia

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Please make the safe decision. There is a lot of road between Portland and Seattle... if it's not safe, I'm always available for a dive another weekday (at least for a while). We're shooting for 9am though I'll be there earlier. Call me at 206-919-5545 if you have any issues. Amy and I are both still planning to dive.

Snow doesn't keep Rawlings, Tom Nic, Bassman, or I from diving... just ask King 5 News RIGHT KEITH!?!? :bootyshake:

If we are graced with your presence tomorrow, I'll be forever grateful. :prayer: If the safe & sane thing to do is thumb it, that's the right call and we'll just dive another time. =D> There is always another day to dive... unless you're attacked by the robot-monster in the toilet! :toimonster:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Snow doesn't keep me from diving, either but it does sometimes keep me from driving. Like you said, there's a lot of road between here and Seattle and at 6am it has a nasty habit of being icy this time of year. I am planning on at least starting out. We'll see how far I get. I will call you if I end up stopping or turning around.
Hope to see you in the am.[/i]
Georgia

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What great dives!!! I need to dive with WylerBear more often - she's good luck to spot lots of great stuff!! PinkPadiGal and a friend joined us as well, but due to unfortunate annoying events, both her dives were cut short.

Gunnels in colors I've never seen, an adorable grunt sculpin, bouquets of tube worms, several guarded lingcod nests, several lingcod including one rather large EUP-sized one (guarding eggs on the south boat), 2 kelp greenling nests with males and 1 female, a red octopus, several schools of perch, a moon snail on full display, a wide variety of rockfish, a large white-lined dirona, a fantastic large sculpin (red irish lord?), hundreds of hermit crabs, and the usual bazillion kelp crab raining down on me!

After spending 2 delightful hours beneath the waves, we enjoyed tacos at the local dig, and headed out. Thanks to WylerBear for being such a great buddy! I had a blast! I took video from the south boat again and will post it if it's worth anything when edited.

Tom, my friend, you should have been there :-({|= ... grunties, penpoint gunnels in a rainbow of colors, octopus, and the boat was in full bloom. The good news is that I think we could talk WylerBear into joining us on some of our weekday dives now... the sad part is that while we'll cash out a 130, she'll only need an 80 to hang. :prayer:

What a day! :bounce: \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:What great dives!!!

Tom, my friend, you should have been there :-({|= ... grunties, penpoint gunnels in a rainbow of colors, octopus, and the boat was in full bloom. The good news is that I think we could talk WylerBear into joining us on some of our weekday dives now... the sad part is that while we'll cash out a 130, she'll only need an 80 to hang. :prayer:

What a day! :bounce: \:D/
:angryfire: This is Tom quietly fuming to himself while his reg gets serviced and his calendar refuses to cooperate... :angryfire:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:bootyshake:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Thanks Sounder and WylerBear for a great day of diving. The first dive was really amazing. I love the boat! Vis was amazing. It seems every time I dive lately, it gets better. I am betting we had at least 25-30 feet of horizonal vis today. =D>

Sounder got a teeny tiny leak in his camera housing so he took video only on the first dive. I can't wait to see the finished product. I did some smiling at the camera for him. :bootyshake:

My hands were so @#$%ing cold on the 2nd dive, I had to call it after 25 minutes. :angryfire: My wet gloves are great in water temps about 48 degrees but below that, I am just too much of a wuss.

Both dives were so fun. It was great to dive there again, 3.5 years later. Thank you for reintroducing me to the site.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder wrote:a fantastic large sculpin (red irish lord?),
Yes, Doug that was a Red Irish Lord.

Thanks for the dives today. Had a great time and you are a great buddy. We'll dive again for sure.

I'm at the hotel now and just found out that both of my dive buddies cancelled on me for tomorrow. So I'm spending the night here with no one lined up to dive with tomorrow! Bummer! I'm going to post to see if I can scare someone up. Otherwise, I may be doing some solo dives tomorrow. Yikes! Never my first choice but still better than going home diveless tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the dives. Amy & Kelly it was great meeting you and diving with you. Hope to do so again.
Georgia

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Oh no! I just got to the board at 2:30pm and didn't see that you were buddy-less. I TOTALLY would have come had I known that for a shallow nitrox dive or two (traveling tomorrow). Next time CALL ME!!!

Hope you had fun and found some buddies. I certainly enjoyed diving with you and look forward to next time! :partyman: