New guy to the forum

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

New guy to the forum

Post by jtaylor23 »

Hey Divers, I've lived here most'o'my life and am getting serious into diving nowadays. Quick diving Vitae:

Went into the Air Force in 81 and found a 5 start PADI store in Shreveport, LA. Got certified and went as far as Rescue training but was sent overseas and never got the actual cert. Currently sitting at PADI Advanced and a fresh FA/CPR/O2 cert.

I've been diving around here since I got out in 85. Mostly the EUW Park, Edmonds Oil Dock (RIP, I loved that dive) and Alki. I hooked up with one of my wife's hubbbies' who lives in Bremerton. He's taken me out to the Warren Ave Bridge a few times. I'm am looking to get up to Canada for some of those wrecks soon. I just got back from doing the Titan Missile Silo dive in Eastern Washington. Video that talked me into it: http://vimeo.com/19172657 Others loved it. I got tooled. Very glad I did it and would recommend it to experienced divers. But I'm not going back in there.

My family runs a yearly trip somewhere every year. My only input is that diving has to be an option. Past few trips have been Mazatlan, a bust for diving. Costa Rica, The Big Scare, bust but otherwise good diving. Playa Del Carmen :notworthy: \:D/ :hearteyes: I am ruined for other diving after the Cenotes. Fresh water limestone cave/caverns. There aren't words for what its' like. The Pit, Dos Ojos, The Pet Cemetery, Chac Mool and others. Heliotherms, chemical clouds at 150 ft, tiny blind shrimp, its amazing.

My current schedule has me off on Sun/Mon and off and back in Lynnwood by 330pm other days. I'm only a couple minutes from the EUWP and willing to travel some to get to a good dive.
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: New guy to the forum

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome to the board! You should come down to the south end, on a late Thursday night sometime. :smt064
Keep an eye on the dive planning section of this board. I usually post the "South Sound Thursday dives" there.
although I may be taking this Thursday off so I can be fresh for my Bonaire trip this month.
Three Tree and Redondo are incredible night dives!

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Ooooh, another person with the cave bug! If you want to hang with a bunch of cave divers, hit Cove 2 on Thursday afternoons, from 4pm on. (Although I won't be there this week, since I have to work.) Another great option in the north end is the MMM (Monday Mukilteo Madness) dives, one at 4 (be prompt, or they leave you on the beach :) ) and one at 6:30.

I'm often off on Mondays (weird work schedule) and I'd be happy to dive with a fellow cave nut -- but not THIS Monday!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to Northwest Dive Club, JT!

Keep watching the dive planning forum here - there are dives being set up all OVER the Northwest constantly. Also, if you have a hankering to dive certain sites that you've just heard about, post that you are interested in doing so - there are many folks here that would just LOVE giving you a guided tour of their special sites.

This is the place to look if you want to dive alot here in the PNW, but be careful....NWDC can be addicting!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:Ooooh, another person with the cave bug! If you want to hang with a bunch of cave divers, hit Cove 2 on Thursday afternoons, from 4pm on. (Although I won't be there this week, since I have to work.) Another great option in the north end is the MMM (Monday Mukilteo Madness) dives, one at 4 (be prompt, or they leave you on the beach :) ) and one at 6:30.

I'm often off on Mondays (weird work schedule) and I'd be happy to dive with a fellow cave nut -- but not THIS Monday!
What do you mean, looks like a GREAT day for a drift dive from Edmonds up to Mukilteo in the afternoon! http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/adm/2011-05-16

jtaylor definitely check out the MMM dives.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

Thursday nights aren't gonna work until my schedule changes. My alarm goes off at 4AM every day except Sun/Mon. I should caveat the cave diver thing tho'. After diving the Cenotes in Mexico, it's a wanna be thing until I can afford the massive upgrades my gear would require. Do I have the 'bug'? Oh, yeah! Do I have gear/training yet. Not so much.........
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

BASSMAN wrote:Welcome to the board! You should come down to the south end, on a late Thursday night sometime. :smt064
Keep an eye on the dive planning section of this board. I usually post the "South Sound Thursday dives" there.
although I may be taking this Thursday off so I can be fresh for my Bonaire trip this month.
Three Tree and Redondo are incredible night dives!

Keith
A quick Redondo story. Back in the 80's, night dive. Immediately lost my partner. I settled on the bottom and was completely surrounded by freshly hatched octo's. Hundreds of 'em! Incredible. After I got clear of them, I found a brand new Playboy on the bottom in about 30 ft. I carefully opened it and, yes, checked out the centerfold. By divelight, at 30 ft, at night! :taco:
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Heya J glad to have ya. Me and a couple friends dive every Wednesday with a 7pm splash at either T-dock, Clay walls, or Edmonds. I dont usually post it as I am lazy, but it is rather consistant. Usually the dive is followed by a dinner and beerz/Soda/water, whatever your poison. We only do Edmonds if we can get a decent high tide slack around that time so it tends to be less often then I would like.

If you find yourself sitting without a dive on a Wednesday, feel free to give me a shout..

ricknorris@gmail.com
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

jtaylor23 wrote:I hooked up with one of my wife's hubbbies' who lives in Bremerton.
Welcome to the board! But wow . . . never read an intro like this before.
:popcorn:
Kelly
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

wait, let me rephrase that......I mean REALLY rephrase it.....lol
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

jtaylor23 wrote:wait, let me rephrase that......I mean REALLY rephrase it.....lol
no need to explain. we aren't judgemental. just mental.

welcome to the board!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

jtaylor23 wrote:I hooked up with one of my wife's hubbbies' who lives in Bremerton.

This could be your very own signature line! :smt064 :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: