Tip's to keep me from looking like a dweeb... (THZ)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Geek
Pelagic

Tip's to keep me from looking like a dweeb... (THZ)

Post by Geek »

Ya, that's TOTAL hijack Zone... but any tips are nice :)

So brought this home today
IMAG0089.jpg
And was wondering if there was words of wisdom, things I should know etc.. Any help people would share would be nice...

Oh, yeah, what is the proper hand signal to let people know your giggling like a little girl when you blow by them? :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Re: Tip's to keep me from looking like a dweeb... (THZ)

Post by Dive Monkey »

Put on all your gear and walk around in your living room with it! Thats what i do when I get new stuff and my chic says I look cool!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I own that scooters twin brother- C and I bought them at the same time. I'll tell you the ugly truth: I really don't enjoy scootering that much. It was a struggle for me from day 1- and the CUDA is powerful enough to really punish you if your technique is less than really, really good. I keep mine because there are a few dives a year that I do that pretty much require a scooter- where I would definitely feel safer with one than without one. I should probably dedicate some more dives to using the silly thing.....anyway:

The first thing I learned is that leash length is absolutely CRITICAL. Having that sucker just a bit too long or short makes a world of difference. Same with the weighting. You will be amazed to find out what a difference a few ounces of lead can make.

Other than that stuff- I'm not really qualified to give advice. We have many scooter gurus here, though.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Honestly, I recommend taking a class. Many will say they're not worth it but then some of those who later take one quickly change their opinion. They're cheap and informational, and cover many of the instances you never thought about. I'd also suggest to take it from someone who either owns or regularly dives a Cuda... It's kind of in a class by itself. Things on a scooter rarely go wrong (as with most things diving so long as common sense and good judgement us used... but when things do go wrong with a scooter, they tend to go "more wrong, faster." Scott C. teaches a good class and I believe Brian W. does too. Beyond this, I'd highly recommend getting out with people who ride Cudas often, start slow, and don't get over confident. The Cuda rocks (it's King every year at the Tahoe Benchmark), and you're going to love it!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I'm heading out on tuesday with someone that knows what they are doing (instructor) for a little "Don't ever do this" and "make sure you think about that" type thing, I'll see how comfortable I feel with it before I make the decision to take a class from Brian.

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Josh, it was awfully nice to hear someone else say what I think . . . I hardly use my scooter here. It's great in SoCal and Monterey, where you have to cover big distances and the viz is good.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I would second the advice that tow cord length is really important, and also say that you should definitely get some coaching from someone who knows the proper procedures for stuck-on scooter (happens!) and how to tow, and how to share gas. Not every solution to a problem while scootering is intuitive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

LCF wrote:I would second the advice that tow cord length is really important, and also say that you should definitely get some coaching from someone who knows the proper procedures for stuck-on scooter (happens!) and how to tow, and how to share gas. Not every solution to a problem while scootering is intuitive.
The handful of scooter dives I have done have been fun but I definitely had the sense that they were "trust me" dives to a certain extent. I'm in favor of more training and less "trust me" diving. There are also a few scooter specific hand and light signals to learn.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Sweet.. Pm me cause I own crack also... Lets ride the green under water trail
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Speaking to the original topic I'd say don't lug it around by the nose ring. It's attached by the zinc block and isn't meant to support the weight of the scooter. Thankfully a friend pointed this out to me before I had managed to break one.

-Ben (chronic scooter borrower)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't have much to add to the conversation, but for all you scooter owners who don't have the time to get yours the exercise they really need, please allow me to offer my services as a scooter exerciser.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

no need to take a class, dude. all you'll ever need to know about scooters can be found in this video. study it closely and you will learn a ton about scooters of every make and model.

enjoy.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/14489359[/vimeo]
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Nwbrewer wrote:I don't have much to add to the conversation, but for all you scooter owners who don't have the time to get yours the exercise they really need, please allow me to offer my services as a scooter exerciser.

See this, everyone?!?!! THIS is why I'm here, and why I LOVE DIVERS!! This kind of selflessness, these acts of pure generosity, it's enough to bring a tear to a persons eye. I know Jake doesn't want to, but he sacrifices his time and offers to care for others' gear and equipment. Humanity at it's best, I say!!!

RE: the OP- Dont's- what Ben said. Don't carry it by the nose d-ring, that's not what it's there for. Keep your fingers out of the shroud, the spinning blades make it a really uncomfortable place to grip. Don't make fun of BDubs scooter tricks, it doesn't end well. Don't be like Sounder and trigger full-tilt-boogie into someone else's genitals (or your own).

Do's- Do laugh hysterically when others give you the finger while clinging to rocks in current at DIW as you scooter by. Do turn the scooter around and use it as a giant silt bomb maker when your friends are looking closely at something on the bottom. Do borrow a friends scooter, clip them both off, and ride them Ben-Hurr style.

Follow these simple tips and you'll be fine!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

spatman wrote:study it closely and you will learn a ton about scooters of every make and model.
I love the tail end Charlie on the apalo? "Guys, hey! Wait for me! Come on wait up. "
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Fishstiq wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I don't have much to add to the conversation, but for all you scooter owners who don't have the time to get yours the exercise they really need, please allow me to offer my services as a scooter exerciser.

See this, everyone?!?!! THIS is why I'm here, and why I LOVE DIVERS!! This kind of selflessness, these acts of pure generosity, it's enough to bring a tear to a persons eye. I know Jake doesn't want to, but he sacrifices his time and offers to care for others' gear and equipment. Humanity at it's best, I say!!!

RE: the OP- Dont's- what Ben said. Don't carry it by the nose d-ring, that's not what it's there for. Keep your fingers out of the shroud, the spinning blades make it a really uncomfortable place to grip. Don't make fun of BDubs scooter tricks, it doesn't end well. Don't be like Sounder and trigger full-tilt-boogie into someone else's genitals (or your own).

Do's- Do laugh hysterically when others give you the finger while clinging to rocks in current at DIW as you scooter by. Do turn the scooter around and use it as a giant silt bomb maker when your friends are looking closely at something on the bottom. Do borrow a friends scooter, clip them both off, and ride them Ben-Hurr style.

Follow these simple tips and you'll be fine!
It's true, it's a sacrifice, but one I'm willing to make.

Fishstiq forgot 1 "Don't". Don't hit your dive buddy in the jaw with a scooter. It seems to result in having your mask stolen.

For Joe and his Ben-hurr style scooting, as well as just general scooter antics from some of our own, here's some video from a club dive at Saltwater State Park.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/7008953[/vimeo]
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Oh, another "don't be a dweeb" suggestion would be don't navigate to a low-viz wreck site, clip off your scooter to the line with delicate precision, carefully rest it on the bottom without stirring up any silt whatsoever.... and then try to swim away with the tow cord still clipped to your junk ring. It makes a mess and people will point at you and laugh. In theory. Not that I would know anything about that personally.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Fishstiq wrote:...... Do borrow a friends scooter, clip them both off, and ride them Ben-Hurr style.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And then I saw it in the video :rofl: Now I know what I missed on that club dive by coming late..... monkey dive duel Cuda's......

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:Do laugh hysterically when others give you the finger while clinging to rocks in current at DIW as you scooter by.
i'm still giving you that finger, joe.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I have also broken a couple of the 'nose straps' (yes, even post upgraded version). best way i've found is just put it up on your shoulder and march. ;)
airsix wrote:Speaking to the original topic I'd say don't lug it around by the nose ring. It's attached by the zinc block and isn't meant to support the weight of the scooter. Thankfully a friend pointed this out to me before I had managed to break one.

-Ben (chronic scooter borrower)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

*goes and cries in corner*

I'm going to lose my dive buddy because of his new scooter crack :'( Soon I'm not going to be cool enough to dive with him ;)
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

citycatred wrote:*goes and cries in corner*

I'm going to lose my dive buddy because of his new scooter crack :'( Soon I'm not going to be cool enough to dive with him ;)
you mean you were once cool? i sure missed that, must've blinked or something...
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

jake your one of the few i would trust to lend the magnus too, let me know.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Burntchef wrote:

jake your one of the few i would trust to lend the magnus too, let me know.
The MarCuda is yours anytime too... unless one of it's other regular care takers calls dubs on it first.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:The MarCuda is yours anytime too... unless one of it's other regular care takers calls dubs on it first.
I love this club. :luv:

-Ben (has a MarCuda reservation booked)
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Class is helpful to keep from having the usual new gear issues.

Make sure the scooter is trimmed out.

Get the tow cord the right length.

Make sure you're trimmed out correctly. I can guarantee you, that if you're dropping your knees, you're not going to have a fun dive.

Practice some snorkle scootering on the surface to get yourself used to be towed plus it does a pretty good job of showing you the right ride orientation.

Finally, dive with it a lot. As with any skill, if you don't do it often, you're going to suck at it.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

A group of us usually meet on Thursdays at Cove II around 4:30 and sometimes we do a second dive around 7. But lately choosing between a second dive and a beer, well the beer seems to be winning. You are welcome to come and join us. We are trying to see how many dive extras scooter we can get to show up. I think eleven or twelve so far is are best turnout.
:taco: :taco:
Got Water?